P&O cruise ship performers behind the scenes

Series going behind the scenes at the Port of Southampton. Following new recruits at the Academy, where P&O cruise ship performers perfect their shows over a gruelling eight weeks. all interesting stuff

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03zq4mb/sea-city-series-2-episode-3

Stevie :)

Yes- very interesting. It was broadcast a few months ago in the South TV region and we really enjoyed seeing the behind the scenes preparation. They do work hard - imagine how much more demanding for the Thomson teams who have at least three times more shows under their belts plus cabarets and deck parties!

I just think it such a shame that P&O and other cruiselines we've travelled on don't use the showteam more since they are on board 24/7. Typically there are three shows over two weeks and no live cabarets!! :eek:

Of course there would be more production costs/rehearsal time involved but imo they could dispense with the live orchestras which haven't been great in our experience (and pretty terrible on occasion when accompanying guest acts and they're outside their comfort zone) and just go for top quality backing tracks - as Thomson do. That would save some overheads plus fewer guest acts to employ/provide travel and accommodation for. I think they could up it to 5/6 production shows and still leave room for other types of entertainment and guest acts. I suppose it's a tried and tested formula for them but something which just doesn't compare with the Thomson model - which is still by far the best we've seen. ;)

I found the live orchestra was often a distraction to the singing, far too loud, although the Headliners singing talents were not good.

I would agree dave. In fact I have been rather shocked by how poor the live orchestras we've heard on cruise ships (as opposed to the live bands some of which have been very good and in the mould of the best we've seen on Thomson).

Not just loud but so many wrong/split notes and often real questions about timing! :eek: I can't help but think excellent quality backing tracks are far superior. As for accompanying guest acts, I know they probably don't get much rehearsal time but not only have they wrecked the music but adversely affected the guest's performance in some instances - and as you say often creating a distraction. I'm sure some of these guests would prefer their own backing track which I'm sure they have - as they are unlikely to travel around to gigs with their own orchestra!