Bad time at the steak house on the Liberty

tomboyy

They were not going to charge you....so you could have booked another night and paid like you would have had the food not been good.

Yea I could have... I know.

I may be a little picky, but I didn't get the feeling that they cared. Snooty comes to mind as far as their additudes go.

But again "whatever" I had a great time. I try not to let little things bother me.

Edited by tomboyy

I had some issues on my only steakhouse night on the Spirit. The salads were wilted off, bread was a little stale and butter in the dish was a little off and did not like the temp of mashed..cold..beautiful but cold..a little cold on steak too...but steak was good, filet...twas Easter Sunday 2012 and the first night out. I think they were mass prepared on it all..not individually prepared like they should and things were being used up before going "down under." I will try again but boy will I check out the latest pulse...maybe was not worth the free wine on first night...especially a Holiday..but that is really when one wants things to work..that is the point. Not a good time for a cruise especially with a big change coming up...

I still had some high points on the cruise..the whole lido outside almost to myself gazing at Cabo scenery and having a fancy drink and listening to a duo being one of them!! My own yacht in the big blue..LOL.

Edited by sjn911

Yea I could have... I know.

I may be a little picky, but I didn't get the feeling that they cared. Snooty comes to mind as far as their additudes go.

But again "whatever" I had a great time. I try not to let little things bother me.

I'm picky a bit too, i come from a foodie family of cooks and my brother is a professional chef. I dislike bad service more than not so great food.

I seem to have hit or miss experiences with the Steakhouses. On Dream it was a nice experience, Pride it was okay, but two weeks ago on Freedom it was the best experience I have had. I also had a not so good experience on a different line. It makes me weary of going, so I let it up to my traveling companions if they want to go we go, if they don't mention it I don't.

I'm picky a bit too, i come from a foodie family of cooks and my brother is a professional chef. I dislike bad service more than not so great food.

Lets be honest... If I had cooked that ribeye at home I would have eaten it. I think it was prolly just a tougher cut... it happens.

But add to that a young waitress telling me how I want it cooked and the fact that they screwed up service and lied about and their additude. Its not only the food it's the service...I agree.

You did not pay and you were expected a second trip to the steakhouse to be free also?

I think it would be a justifiable thing to be offered another evening at the Steakhouse. Missing out on the salad, waitress arguing with you, the steak not being cooked according to the OP's liking sounds like a viable reason to give the Steakhouse another chance. We've never had a bad meal at the Steakhouse, but we have at other restaurants on shore. We never go back.

I am surprised they didn't just fix it as it happened. Very easy to fix. The manager /Maitre d should have grabbed your entrée and taken it back to the kitchen,told the waitress stop what your doing and get them their salads and re cooked your food(the way you asked for it cooked) and sent a round of drinks with an apology as you waited.Sometimes we all make mistakes but this was an easy fix for management

My wife and I and 2 other couples went to the steak house on the liberty and had a horrible time. Things started out great, we ordered, received our apps and when we finished we sat there talking and waiting for our salads. I noticed it seemed to be taking longer than normal. I have been to a cruise steak house before but for other 2 couples it was their first time.

Well next thing you know the steaks show up... I'm like wait, we haven't got our salads yet. The waitress says yes you did and the whole table spoke up at the same time and says "no we didn't" So we sit there with our mains on the table wondering what happened. I'd like to put in here what happened to me when I was ordering. I asked for the 18oz Ribeye and asked for it to be cooked medium-rare and that I'd like to have it more on the rare side. Well this young girl starts to inform me how I want my steak cooked because their steaks are top quality and contain 30% fat so it should be cooked a certain way. I calmly explaned that I have been cooking Ribeyes for 40 years and I know how I like to have my steak.

Well back to the dinner... Next the manager comes to the table and told us the reason the salads were not delivered is because our mains finished cooking before they (the salads were done) This really set off one of my friends and he told the manager not to patronize him and that he knew why the salads weren't delivered ( the young waitress forgot to order them) The manager turned and left.

Now at this point I have this steak in front of me. It looks dry, I cut a couple pieces and it is dry, tough and not seasoned well. I thought well maybe it's just this part so I tried another bite and it's the same. I sat here thinking the flat iron steak I have on my first night in the MDR was WAY better than this ribeye. I stopped eating and told my wife I was done.

The manager came back to the table and offered a free bottle of wine which we declined ( no wine drinkers) Then the chef came to the table and asked how our dinner was... I was honest and said calmly that the flat iron steak in the MDR was way better than this steak. I think I hurt his feelings but sometimes the truth hurts. The manager came back again and said there was not going to be any charges for tonights dinner( I didn't plan on paying for 3 shrimp anyhow)

I kinda wished they would have offered us another dinner later in the cruise. We ended up with room service for dinner...oh well.

Now before the cheerleaders start let me say this... I not trying to say this steak house is bad. In fact I'm sure it's a fine place to eat. I am just telling my personal experience on this particular day. That's why I mentioned earlier that I wished they had offered up a dinner on another night.

Personally, with that kind of service, I would have expected nothing less than having my meals comped. And not stopped till I succeeded.

My wife and I and 2 other couples went to the steak house on the liberty and had a horrible time. Things started out great, we ordered, received our apps and when we finished we sat there talking and waiting for our salads. I noticed it seemed to be taking longer than normal. I have been to a cruise steak house before but for other 2 couples it was their first time.

Well next thing you know the steaks show up... I'm like wait, we haven't got our salads yet. The waitress says yes you did and the whole table spoke up at the same time and says "no we didn't" So we sit there with our mains on the table wondering what happened. I'd like to put in here what happened to me when I was ordering. I asked for the 18oz Ribeye and asked for it to be cooked medium-rare and that I'd like to have it more on the rare side. Well this young girl starts to inform me how I want my steak cooked because their steaks are top quality and contain 30% fat so it should be cooked a certain way. I calmly explaned that I have been cooking Ribeyes for 40 years and I know how I like to have my steak.

Well back to the dinner... Next the manager comes to the table and told us the reason the salads were not delivered is because our mains finished cooking before they (the salads were done) This really set off one of my friends and he told the manager not to patronize him and that he knew why the salads weren't delivered ( the young waitress forgot to order them) The manager turned and left.

Now at this point I have this steak in front of me. It looks dry, I cut a couple pieces and it is dry, tough and not seasoned well. I thought well maybe it's just this part so I tried another bite and it's the same. I sat here thinking the flat iron steak I have on my first night in the MDR was WAY better than this ribeye. I stopped eating and told my wife I was done.

The manager came back to the table and offered a free bottle of wine which we declined ( no wine drinkers) Then the chef came to the table and asked how our dinner was... I was honest and said calmly that the flat iron steak in the MDR was way better than this steak. I think I hurt his feelings but sometimes the truth hurts. The manager came back again and said there was not going to be any charges for tonights dinner( I didn't plan on paying for 3 shrimp anyhow)

I kinda wished they would have offered us another dinner later in the cruise. We ended up with room service for dinner...oh well.

Now before the cheerleaders start let me say this... I not trying to say this steak house is bad. In fact I'm sure it's a fine place to eat. I am just telling my personal experience on this particular day. That's why I mentioned earlier that I wished they had offered up a dinner on another night.

And I have had bad meals at Morton's, Ruth Chris and other fine Steakhouses, its part of the dining game, I don't go around telling everyone about it or post it on web sites. Move on with it.

And I have had bad meals at Morton's, Ruth Chris and other fine Steakhouses, its part of the dining game, I don't go around telling everyone about it or post it on web sites.

But . . . you just now did that exact thing.

Irony.

We never miss the steak house and usually go twice each cruise. Have never had anything but good service and friendly staff, but I know that isn't always the case.

Sorry you had such an off night. Yes, I would have hoped for them to offer another night to try again.

I will have to try this myself next cruise, I have avoided it as I suspect I will be disappointed. Cruises just are not known for a good steak.

I am not impressed by a lot of food on the table and a well cooked steak is not open to interpretation. It should be well seasoned or not seasoned at all and rare to medium rare is the only way it should be cooked. Let's face it though, carnival is not hiring experienced beef cooks. They took a decent cook from the kitchen and maybe sent them somewhere for short training. Even that may be optimistic.

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, just the ones made by the OP. I think you were entirely reasonable. And I'm not sure why someone would criticize you for "wishing they had offered you the chance to come back another night". That was an alternative they may have had and they didn't take it.

All that said, I've never understood the allure of the upcharge venues. The food at the MDR is way better than I eat most nights (and no worse than I eat any night) on a regular vacation. And, to be honest, if you sat me down at a neutral venue and handed me one dish that came from the MDR and one that came from the steakhouse, I doubt I'd do better than tossing a coin and guessing which was which.

That's too bad, I can certainly understand why you were upset.

Unfortunately, I think the experience is a little inconsistant. We had an incredible experience on the SPLENDOR last November, but on our trip on the FREEDOM last month, it wasn't nearly as good.

Never had a waitress tell me how I want my steak cooked.....that alone would have sent me flyin'.....

A few years ago did a cruise on the Freedom. Had reservations for dinner for 6. It was the worst dinner I ever had. As the OP stated, our waitress proceeded to tell us that we could NOT have our steaks medium-rare, as the chef refused to cook them that way. We could only have medium-well or well? It took over 3 hours to be served. We could see the Manager going to several tables but, not once, approached ours. I would have loved to address my concerns about the quality of the service & food but was never given the chance. We couldn't wait to leave.

A few years ago did a cruise on the Freedom. Had reservations for dinner for 6. It was the worst dinner I ever had. As the OP stated, our waitress proceeded to tell us that we could NOT have our steaks medium-rare, as the chef refused to cook them that way. We could only have medium-well or well? It took over 3 hours to be served. We could see the Manager going to several tables but, not once, approached ours. I would have loved to address my concerns about the quality of the service & food but was never given the chance. We couldn't wait to leave.

Why didn't you speak up? You're obviously upset about this, otherwise you wouldn't be posting years later. A nonissue would have been forgotten. If you have an issue with the food or service, you need to speak up and let their leadership teams know. Whether on land or at sea, what good is it complaining on a message board if you fail to inform the proper channels?

Edited by Disconnections

OP: that stinks...sorry it happened to your party.

Steakhouse on Legend very good & worth $25, beautiful room, great service.

Steakhouse on the Spirit, great & worth the $25-$30. Nice room, great service.

Steakhouse on the Breeze-----only ok & not worth the $30. The food was not nearly as good, the service was not as good and the room for it is cramped and somehow dismal.

Feeling like we'll skip it next cruise, as it's the Breeze again & it's now $35.

Edited by silvercrikhix

You did not pay and you were expected a second trip to the steakhouse to be free also?

I was thinking the same thing, if you did not pay for your meal then just make another reservation. Stuff happens