Snorkeling in CocoCay??

Bunny Fu

:confused: I have heard that to snorkel the sunken plan and ship wreck in CocoCay, you have to rent there equiptment, but it is at your leisure all day. But what if you already have equipment of your own? Do I only pay for a vest? Can i still snorkel the plane and ship? Any help on this would be great.

I don't know why you couldn't bring your own equipment. We did happen to rent their equipment, which was for the day.

There is no monitoring of where or when you go into the water. We saw more in areas other than the ship and plane. There are two life guard stations. They could see fish, etc. from their chairs and told us where to go.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also just rent the vest if you want and bring the rest. The plane is pretty far out and I couldn't find the ship wreck. Of course the water was very stirred up. We were in the first group back to Cocco Cay after getting hit by hurricanes last year. They did a good job repairing the island but by looking at others pictures, they had not fixd everything. Still, it was my favorite part of the cruise.

We just snorkeled on Coco Cay on Saturday. I brought my equipment and rented it for my daughters. If I had it to do again, I'd leave my stuff home. Traveling light would be much easier in the heat.

Renting their stuff means waiting until 9am. We took the first tender of the day at just after 8am and had to wait to get the equipment. Still, we were the first ones out to the plane wreck and the water was crystal clear. I heard it was all stirred up by noon when all the rest of the people got out there. I was glad to have it all to myself early in the morning.

You can also go out to the deep water area on the left side of the rocky area on the left looking out from the beach. I didn't do this but there would be less people over there.

You do have to rent the vest for $6 or the life guards will turn you away right at the beach, not letting you enter the water. You don't have to inflate the vest at all though if you choose not to. It has a pull cord with a Co2 cartridge for rapid inflation should you run into trouble or panic about something. Or you can blow it up a little so you can float along easily, push a button to let the air back out so you can go under if you wish.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived