Efficient Use of Computer Time

Scott Cyn

On our trip last year on the Millie, we decided ahead of time that e-mail was the best way to stay in touch with family. I made sure I was up to speed on the web version of my ISP's e-mail and it worked fine. The only problem was it was SLOW. Which translates into EXPENSIVE.

In planning for future cruises, I am working on the best way to do this. I have thought it would be better to compose all messages before going online to send them in a high-speed burst. That's doable, but the problem is on the receiving side. How do I read incoming messages without hanging online while reading? Copy to Word, disconnect and then read? And then compose a reply and re-connect to send? Sounds awfully troublesome. Any of you old hands have this down to a smooth science?

Scott

In planning for future cruises, I am working on the best way to do this. I have thought it would be better to compose all messages before going online to send them in a high-speed burst. That's doable, but the problem is on the receiving side. How do I read incoming messages without hanging online while reading? Copy to Word, disconnect and then read? And then compose a reply and re-connect to send? Sounds awfully troublesome. Any of you old hands have this down to a smooth science?

Scott

Reading mail in a web browser can be quite slow. Check with your ISP to see if they offer either POP or IMAP interfaces. Then you could use an email client, such as Outlook Express, to download them, read and reply off line, then upload them when you reconnect.

Scott,

Depending on where you are going to and how often you hit a port check on cyber cafe's in the area. We just gor back form Alaska and that's what I did. I bought a pre-paid card for $5 that gace me 1 hour and it was good in Ketch, Skag, & Juneau.

al

I didn't make it clear in my first post, but I'm really talking about using the computers in the I-cafe onboard M-class ships. My ISP certainly offers POP interface - I use it every day pulling mail into Outlook. But I can't load Outlook onto the Celebrity computers. Or do they already have it? And if so, how would that work?

Scott

I didn't make it clear in my first post, but I'm really talking about using the computers in the I-cafe onboard M-class ships. My ISP certainly offers POP interface - I use it every day pulling mail into Outlook. But I can't load Outlook onto the Celebrity computers. Or do they already have it? And if so, how would that work?

Scott

Ah, I misunderstood. I don't know about X, but HAL, Carnival and NCL charge you from the time you sit down at the keyboard, so there's no way to do "offline" work. If you have a laptop with wireless that's the best way, or use a laptop with the in-room connection pkg. Both will lot you do the reading and writing off-line and you'll only need to connect to upload/download.

Scott

You've got it right, and while a bit cumbersome, the copy and paste (both directions) is definitely the cheapest on-board solution. For those that aren't aware of it, "off-line" work on the Celebrity computers is free. You're only "on the clock" when you've established a network connection off-ship. Would be fairer if they charged by the kB or something else that is more clearly in line with their costs rather than the minute, but that's not how they're doing it.

I used to never need a cell phone until that day I got one. Then I never needed a computer until that day I got one. What will it be next.

All those cruises and no phones and no computers and no worries... :rolleyes:

I am also wondering about how best to use Internet services in the Baltics.

We have wireless capability on our laptop, but do not understand the technology and how it relates to what is available on the Constellation.

We use Comcast here.

I have read that there are "hotspots" on the Connie where one can receive wireless Internet access. Does this mean one does not have to pay the $25 per day for in room service? Is there a separate fee that one pays to Connie for a password to use their wireless provider? or can one access the Internet via Outlook express and Comcast from the Baltics?

Thank you.

For M class: There is no longer a flat rate per day, including minutes, for in-cabin access using the phone modem kit. You can rent the kit for $10/day. Minutes can be purchased at $0.75/minute or in packages that reduce the cost to as little as $0.50 if you buy 500 for $250. If you start out at a high rate, you can just pay that rate per minute if you go over or you can jump to a higher minute package and get the lower rate retroactively.

On Constellation Baltic July 2 we did not rent the kit (we had before) but instead used the WiFi hotspots or the Internet Center. It did not work in our cabin (and I don't think it worked in any). There was access in public lounges, Words (the library), most of Deck 10 aft, and the two computer locations. Signal strength and logon ability varies. Sometimes you would have a strong signal, but could not log on to the Wireless@Sea network. Other times a relatively weak signal allowed instant access.

Pricing is the same as above from $0.75 down to $0.50. Can use your minutes on the WiFi network or in the Internet Center, which we did when we had difficulty logging on. Never had a problem getting access to a computer there.

We felt this pricing system, while still very expensive, was better than old daily flat rate. With that it was easy to go over the 50-minute limit one day (and pay for extra minutes) and then way underuse the next day but still pay $25. We opted for a 200-minute package at $120 ($0.60). We actually had 75 or 80 minutes left in 14 days, but a smaller package would have been almost as costly.

If we had long messages to send, we composed them offline in Outlook Express and then sent them via WiFi logon. Most of our messages from home were short, so we could read them while online on the ship's computers.

One way we cut down on web usage for email was to use a GSM cell phone instead. It's amazing how easily you can communicate with someone when you actually speak with them! Off course this only works when in or very near port. If you have Cingular or T-Mobile GSM service here, definitely consider using in Europe if that's where you are headed. Our whole family is locked into Sprint, so I upgraded to their new dual-mode Samsung IP-A790. It works like a CDMA phone in US, but you can add a SIM chip for GSM usage outside the US. The phone and activation are expensive, international roaming costs $6/month, and calls are a flat $1.50/minute. Worked everywhere, even St. Petersburg which was not listed by Sprint. Verizon has their version of same phone. There are cheaper ways to do the same thing by buying or renting a GSM phone with multinational roaming. Search on Google for sites that tell how to do this.

Steve

You can use your Celebrity online account at $2. per message/per email address, no time limit. They will notify you when you receive an email, no time limit on reading. You also have the option of printing these messages.

Archived