A Comment About Kids

Twocoasts

I adore babies and toddlers but I do despair sometimes when I see parents trying to fit their cute little round pegs into the square holes of unsuitable environments. I can't see why a 5 year old couldn't enjoy a fine dining experience if that's how they'd been brought up but I doubt a toddler could feel the benefit.

Infants need a lot of attention and they should be getting that from their families. I bet the well behaved children on board had families who engaged with them frequently and calmly. If I was dining in a speciality restaurant I wouldn't want to be entertaining a toddler at the same time no matter how much I adored him or her.

Small children need looking after and if you bring them on a line that doesn't go out of it's way to entertain them the looking after is all down to you and so is the responsibility for their good behaviour. If that would be your pleasure I see no problem.

I honestly did not see the 5 year old onboard. 8, yes and never saw any children in the specialty restaurants but we eat at 6:30. A young man of 11 held the door open for us so we must have been lucky because what I saw they would be welcome back on O. Younger couples with or without children especially during the summer are cruising on Oceania.

When we had small children we went on family vacations. I don't see cruising on a line like Oceania as a family vacation. Surely, it would depend upon the age of the children, but when mine were under 10, they would have preferred to see Mickey Mouse over a butler on a cruise ship. We did take ours to many places as they got older, all inclusive resorts in Mexico, the Dominican Republic, mass market cruise lines, and to England for a week once they were past the 12 yr mark. For us, it made the traveling more enjoyable and memorable.

Personally, I would find it less than enjoyable trying to entertain little ones on a ship not geared for it, as well as worrying about bothering others who were not in the same situation as us. No matter how well behaved our children may have been, everyone gets cranky. And how could the parents go out in the evenings? Can you hire an off duty crew member to babysit? Too complicated for me!

When we had small children we went on family vacations. I don't see cruising on a line like Oceania as a family vacation. Surely, it would depend upon the age of the children, but when mine were under 10, they would have preferred to see Mickey Mouse over a butler on a cruise ship. We did take ours to many places as they got older, all inclusive resorts in Mexico, the Dominican Republic, mass market cruise lines, and to England for a week once they were past the 12 yr mark. For us, it made the traveling more enjoyable and memorable.

Personally, I would find it less than enjoyable trying to entertain little ones on a ship not geared for it, as well as worrying about bothering others who were not in the same situation as us. No matter how well behaved our children may have been, everyone gets cranky. And how could the parents go out in the evenings? Can you hire an off duty crew member to babysit? Too complicated for me!

Where are the parents going out? These families were just that a Family on a port intensive education to Israel. Days in Haifa were very long and since we were there 2 nights they probably stayed in Jerusalem. Some adults act like children and that makes me cranky:). I concur that there is nothing for kids to do on O but this itinerary for anyone was educational.

What's going on here????? I haven't seen anything on O's web pages or brochures that says children are not welcome, therefore parents have the right to bring their kiddies with them. Am I missing something here?

Donna

What's going on here????? I haven't seen anything on O's web pages or brochures that says children are not welcome' date=' therefore parents have the right to bring their kiddies with them. Am I missing something here?

Donna[/quote']

No one is saying folks do not have the "right" to bring their kids.

Children are not encouraged -- we know that.

We also know there are no children's programs on board, except for a few select Alaska cruises.

OF course there are many well behaved children whose presence is barely noticed.

The critical issue for me is misbehaving toddlers in the fine dining specialties who are not controlled or controllable, yell and scream and throw food and make a mess and adults who do nothing. The impact on everyone else is unacceptable. I cannot imagine why anyone would bring a toddler on Oceania.

Edited by pacheco18

The heart of the issue IMHO is that some parents believe that it makes sense to bring children on Oceania which is a clearly an adult focused vacation experience. The risk for all others on board is that the children may not behave appropriately.

Children are as appropriate on O as a group of Hell's Angels on a Disney cruise. (no offense to Hell's Angels).

Noxequifans,

I have remained quiet on this subject until your entry above. Your take on children is quite offensive and leaves a lot to be desired.

We travel with our grandchildren quite often and they have been taught how to behave in public and to use their inside voices when in restaurants etc.

We will be on the Riviera this winter with them and their parents and I hope you will also be on this cruise so you can experience the joy of two 5&6 year old well behaved children.

We keep them busy off the ship all day, give them a swim in the pool when we return and then have dinner in the grill or any of the restaurants at 6:30 which is the time children should eat.

There is no reason that children should not cruise on Oceania, and if you are so against children on ships maybe you should look for an adults only cruise line.

Edited by dlouise

Noxequifans,

I have remained quiet on this subject until your entry above. Your take on children is quite offensive and leaves a lot to be desired.

We travel with our grandchildren quite often and they have been taught how to behave in public and to use their inside voices when in restaurants etc.

We will be on the Riviera this winter with them and their parents and I hope you will also be on this cruise so you can experience the joy of two 5&6 year old well behaved children.

We keep them busy off the ship all day, give them a swim in the pool when we return and then have dinner in the grill or any of the restaurants at 6:30 which is the time children should eat.

There is no reason that children should not cruise on Oceania, and if you are so against children on ships maybe you should look for an adults only cruise line.

Dlouise,

Oceania is an Adult oriented cruise line. It is not designed for 5 and 6 year old kids. For the sake of the many passengers on Rivera do them and the many passengers who do not want to deal with them and their parents a favor-cruise with those 5 and 6 year old children on Disney. Leave Oceania to the adults. Thank you.

Edited by titong

Dlouise,

Oceania is an Adult oriented cruise line. It is not designed for 5 and 6 year old kids. For the sake of the many passengers on Rivera do them and the many passengers who do not want to deal with them and their parents a favor-cruise with those 5 and 6 year old children on Disney. Leave Oceania to the adults. Thank you.

I think Oceania is the one to decide if children are welcome on board, not the passengers.

Larraine - I totally agree with you that Oceania should raise the minimum age for the Specialty Restaurants. No one should have to go through what you and others did. Celebrity's minimum age for the Spec Rests is twelve which has seemed to work out ok. There has to be a toddler free area somewhere on the ship lol

Although I like Oceania I would never bring my grandchildren on them as I would never want to expose them to all the onboard hostility and it would be like taking them to the senior center for vacation

I would like to suggest Hapag-Lloyd Europa2. They are very family friendly, have a children's staff and rooms along with shore trips just for kids. The ship is bigger than the R class with only 500 guests. It is rated as the best luxury cruise afloat. Check it out. I will not invest 20+ k in a cruise line where other pass are so hostile.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Titong,

I think it is very rude of you to tell me where and how our family should travel with our grandchildren without ever meeting them or seeing their behavior. Traveling with our family is about showing our children and grandchildren the world, learning new things, having new experiences and most importantly making wonderful memories.

Oceania has NO problem with children on board.

Children pay full price just like any other passenger, therefor they have the right to eat where they want, swim when they want etc.

I am not a kid person, and my wife and I have chosen not to have children. Most people our age (early-mid 30s) do have kids, so we've had a variety of experiences with others' children.

I think one-size-fits-all solutions are pretty bad for this sort of thing. From what I can tell (we're looking forward to our first Oceania cruise in January), Oceania is almost surely not the ideal cruise line for most children, but there are probably some exceptions for whom it would be fine. It's up to parents (or grandparents) to figure out what's best for the whole family, but they need to take the needs of others into account as well as their own desires.

When I was about 14, my parents and I went to a family-friendly resort, where there was a specialty restaurant which was 18+. I wanted to go, they wanted to go, and I was perfectly capable of behaving in a nicer restaurant. I had been to quite a few already in my life. My mother told them I was "a teen," which sounded enough like "eighteen," and we had a pleasant evening. I don't think my mere existence as someone under 18 ruined anyone's evening. If I had been a 5 year old who was going to throw a temper tantrum, that would have been a very different story.

Long story short- anyplace you go, I believe it's parents' responsibility to ensure their kids behavior doesn't ruin anyone else's evening. (Or, anyone reasonable; some people object to the mere existence of people under the age of 40, I guess.) If they can't do that, I think it's reasonable to expect the staff to remind parents (ideally nicely/discreetly) of this responsibility.

There are a lot of selfish people in the world, and this is manifest by people taking their kids to inappropriate places, pushing for spots in line, being rude to staff, etc. I would guess the truly rude are likely a minority of people, but they are, unfortunately, a very visible minority.

I too would never bring my young toddler grandchildren on O. They are mostly well behaved but unpredictable. I would bring them on a ship that have proper activities and programs for kids. I do alot of planning and research for our trips and our cruise experience is very important as we only do one cruise per year. I would be devastated if a few unruly kids ruined it for me:eek:

It is my opinion that when we all pay the large sum of an O cruise it is out of RESPECT for others that we dress nicely and behave appropriately (which can be more controllable as adults) and toddlers don't fit in to the equation.

Dlouise,

You do not get to decide whether one should bring their children or grandchildren on Oceania. Oceania allows children....plain and simple.

Maybe you should look for another cruise line that does not allow any children on board along with Noxequifans.

The staff and crew were wonderful to the children on board the June 7 sailing on the Regatta. The cruise director set up a meet and greet(ice cream social) with the Captain for all the children on board.

I think FDR should come in and state if Oceania is family friendly or Adult only. There is a very big difference and now it is very ambiguous. This way a person planning a trip can make a good decision. I have read where you have brought your grandchildren onboard. Would you like them to meet some of these people?

This thread is amusing to me. I agree that Oceania is not equipped to deal with toddlers or kids who need constant stimulation and supervision.

However, last year, we cruised with my daughter and her friend (15 & 14). We knew exactly what we were signing up for. Both girls are very well-behaved and amused themselves throughoout the 10-day cruise. Dressing up and eating in nice restaurants was a pleasure for them - and for the waiters, who enjoyed dealing with teenagers who were polite and excited with new foods and who appreciated the attention. Waiters singing "Happy Birthday" to the girls, bringing them extra treats, etc.

However, one negative that we experienced was on the first day of the cruise when several old, crabby people frowned at two beautiful girls, not because of anything the girls did, but for the fact that they were too young. Pre-judging without any evidence to the contrary. Perhaps some of those people have already commented on this thread...

David

The problem is uncontrollable toddlers. Oceania had a Huge problem with a group of 3 on my recent cruise. I had conversations with the cd and gm. They had a special meeting about it. Passengers were complaining. Meals were ruined. Toscana was trashed in the area where these kids sat. Waiters complained. In the terrace no one would sit near this group. They were throwing food

I think an age minimum would be appropriate and fair all around. Two three and four year olds just do not belong on Oceania.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Captain can, as I understand it, confine ill passengers to their cabin. Perhaps he could do the same with unruly passengers who threaten the comfort (or even safety?) of guests?

Note that I don't mention an age; a drunk adult can be just as bad as a ill-behaved toddler.

Oceania is not ambigous about how it has crafted its product. It has made clear there are no facilities targeted to children. The implication is straightforward.

You are correct that Oceania is not ambiguous, but your conclusion is completely wrong. CruiseCritic states: "True Adults-Only Ships.

Your safest bet is to cruise on a ship that doesn't allow any children onboard at all. Yes, they do exist, but there aren't too many. P&O Cruises, a British line, keeps three ships -- Arcadia, Adonia and Oriana -- as adults-only. You must be 50+ to sail with Grand Circle Small Ship Cruises or the U.K.-based Saga Holidays (though travel companions can be as young as 40). Voyages to Antiquity cruises are deemed 'unsuitable for children under the age of 12,' and children younger than 16 are dissuaded from cruising." http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1460. Oceania is not one of the listed cruise lines, hence children are allowed.

I don't disagree with what several people here have said about children misbehaving. There should indeed be a minimum age for children in the specialty restaurants, and I hope Oceania adopts one soon. And if anyone, child or adult, behaves in any restaurant the way those did on pacheco18's cruise, I will walk straight up to the person in charge of the dining room and demand that something be done. But the bottom line is Oceania is not an adult-only cruise line and children will be allowed as passengers. And if anyone can't deal with that reality, he or she needs to be on one of the cruise lines listed above.

Until Oceania, or any other cruise line for that matter, has an age restriction, some people will bring their children or grandchildren for a variety of reasons. I have read the posts on both sides of this discussion, and as a parent of three and a doting grandparent of an almost two year old, I would have to place myself squarely on the side of :eek:

What 5 year old wants to be on an Oceania cruise? Just because his or her grandparent or parent can keep him occupied or well behaved doesn't mean that the cruise is the best choice for a vacation for the little guy or girl. A tween is certainly a different story, and a fifteen year can surely occupy herself for a week to ten days and learn so much from a port intensive cruise throughout Europe or Asia or wherever the cruise takes the family.

But clearly the choice on whether someone brings their little ones on an Oceania cruise is not mine. If they are willing to buy the tickets and take the responsibility, then it is their decision. Hopefully, it will be a wise one for everyone involved on that cruise.

Yes there were 3 little ones misbehaving on a trip that caused problem. On my last trip there was a guy who said he was a retired ex from a large retail store in Texas. He sat on the same seat by the pool each day drinking straight up Vodka until he went from obnoxious to passed out. Should we ban drinking or people from Texas? I was a target of his as I am from NYC and told him early on before I got the picture. I just felt sorry for him, I did not make a federal case out of it.

Huge difference

We can avoid a drunk at the pool

We can move

Sit somewhere else

Go to the other end of the pool area or a different deck

I move away from people I want to avoid all the time. Lol

In the terrace that's what everyone did. We moved away from this family

In the specialty restaurants we are captive. These are very small restaurants. When toddlers scream and misbehave our only option is to forego our meal. Not fair to the majority of passengers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There was a boy around 11 or 12 years of age on our recent 16-day Marina voyage. He was extremely well-behaved. Really, you hardly knew he was there. My husband and I felt profoundly sorry for him because he looked bored to tears every time we saw him (except once when he was playing ping pong). I wondered why on earth his parents thought he would enjoy such a vacation. I will grant you that I could be completely off base on this, and that maybe he had a fantastic time, but somehow I really don't think so.

Yes there were 3 little ones misbehaving on a trip that caused problem. On my last trip there was a guy who said he was a retired ex from a large retail store in Texas. He sat on the same seat by the pool each day drinking straight up Vodka until he went from obnoxious to passed out. Should we ban drinking or people from Texas? I was a target of his as I am from NYC and told him early on before I got the picture. I just felt sorry for him, I did not make a federal case out of it.

I see that we still have fellow Texans upholding (our mostly outdated) stereotypes. I wonder if he has longhorns mounted on the front of his Cadillac convertible.

Of course, my wife, who was born in NYC, doesn't love it when I speak about New York stereotype behavior.