HeLP...Florida weather.....

got2shop

Hi, Has anyone made a drive to Florida recently??? We are looking to plan a last minute cruise out of Miami for 6/28 aNd looking at our route driving, it shows showers 40% everyday thru out && I was hoping if someone could help us with ... is this everyday Does it actually rain?? Heavy???? We just dont want to be caught in the torrential rain that Florida gets.

Edited by got2shop

lol! Thank You! :)

Interesting placement of capital letters in your posts. I always know it's you! :)

I'm honestly not sure what you're asking. Are you hoping the forecast is wrong? If it pours, just pull off the highway and go somewhere for a cuppa. It'll clear up soon and you'll be on your way once again. Have a great cruise!

Hi, Has anyone made a drive to Florida recently??? We are looking to plan a last minute cruise out of Miami for 6/28 aNd looking at our route driving, it shows showers 40% everyday thru out && I was hoping if someone could help us with ... is this everyday Does it actually rain?? Heavy???? We just dont want to be caught in the torrential rain that Florida gets.

In general, it rains pretty heavy just about every day. For about 15 minutes.

Florida is in the "tropics" - sure it rains a lot of times-it usually pours for a short time and clears up just as quickly as it starts. We don't wear raincoats but most of us carry a small umbrella in our cars, back packs, purses or luggage pocket for emergencies but always have a larger umbrella, like a golf umbrella when larger storms are predicted. It is true that it can rain on one side of the street and not on the other-don't rely on weather forcasts - LOL.

I've lived in Florida - Tampa Bay Area - for the past 36 years. Summer is our rainy season and its common for us to get rain every day. More often than not, the rain will last 20 - 30 minutes or so, and then the sun comes back out again. Unless there is a tropical storm or hurricane in the forecast, I never let rain interfere with driving plans.

One thing that should be mentioned is that the first few minutes of a downpour are very dangerous because the rain is mixing with the oils on the road, and of course oil and water don't mix!

Safe travels!

brave person driving from Chicago to Miami..remember you have to drive back too :)

maybe the flying bus aka spirit airlines has some cheap tix to FLL from ORD :)

Brave??:confused: it is not that hard of a drive. pretty much a straight shot down I65 to Nashville then I24 to Chattanooga onward on I75 (taking the loop around the west side of Atlanta of course) to Wildwood Fl and the turnpike to Miami. It is about 1400 miles each way, so figure two days each way driving.

I hope you plan on leaving sometime Thursday the 26th. It is about a 1400 mile drive (each way) form Chicago to Miami. I posted a route earlier, not hard just a long trip. (depending on the number of drivers you have and type of vehicle)

It is now raining cats and doors with lightning and thunder.

It is the rainy season here in Central Florida.

Can come from all directions over Florida.

I live in St Cloud, no rain yet, but I'm sure it's coming. Getting the cloud build up showing. Just like someone else said, it can be raining on one side of the street, but not the other.

So, fellow travelers, it's going to rain wherever it feels like it.

I'm just north of Tampa and we've had rain just about every day for the past few weeks. Its typical for Florida. It will storm heavy for about half an hour (or less) then ease up. Lately its been doing that a few times a day.. Its also not uncommon for it to rain on one side of the road but not the other.. Our weather is very temperamental here.

You know that only 30% of your trip will actually be in Florida...You may have downpours or steady rain all along the way -- Florida no exception. Afternoon brief heavy rain with lightning and thunder is common in the Sunshine State : )

Florida is in the "tropics" - sure it rains a lot of times-it usually pours for a short time and clears up just as quickly as it starts. We don't wear raincoats but most of us carry a small umbrella in our cars, back packs, purses or luggage pocket for emergencies but always have a larger umbrella, like a golf umbrella when larger storms are predicted. It is true that it can rain on one side of the street and not on the other-don't rely on weather forcasts - LOL.

By "tropics" I presume you mean "sub-tropics," as no part of Florida is in the tropics.

Brave??:confused: it is not that hard of a drive. pretty much a straight shot down I65 to Nashville then I24 to Chattanooga onward on I75 (taking the loop around the west side of Atlanta of course) to Wildwood Fl and the turnpike to Miami. It is about 1400 miles each way, so figure two days each way driving.

Sounds good except for the LOOP IN ATLANTA, we have driven back & forth for years & believe me the loop takes longer by 15-20 min. Just stay on 75 & go with the traffic. Watch your signs & use your turn sig's.

Char

I agree with Char. The Atlanta Loop can be a MAJOR PIA! I usually decide on which route I'm going to take, around, or through Atlanta, based on the time of day, day of the week, etc.

I'm 40 miles East of Tampa, and yep, we too have had rain for at least 1/2 an hour every day for a couple of weeksl. Not started yet, but starting to cloud up, so it probably won't be long. I concur with those above, and suggest that if you hit one of the "walls of water", just get off the highway for a brief rest, and let it pass by. More often than not, it's not a big deal. :cool:

"SKY"

As though no one else has said it....

Yes, it is rainy season here in Florida. I think we had ONE day in the last 7 days when there was no rain. Sometimes it is 15 minutes, some times a bit on and off throughout the day, and some times it reminds one of a monsoon. Torrential stuff, an inch an hour. It's not always a 15 minute afternoon rain. It rains in the morning, mid-day, afternoon, evening. I've heard heavy down pours when in bed at at 6AM.

A couple times I was on I95 when the latter hit, and I had to slow down to 25 mph, and almost wanted to pull off to the side.

And to confirm the above, we are not in the tropics, sub or semi tropic is correct, as our property has it share of palm trees, lizards and frogs. Oy, it's baby lizard season, and they always get into the house!

I can't even envision driving from Chicago to Miami, regardless of time of year. However, I would not sweat the Florida weather / rain when it comes to driving here.

I am a native of the Tampa Bay area. The rain here is nothing to be concerned with for the most part, unless we have a hurricane, which thankfully is rare. I don't think about rain, unless we don't get enough of it, which is a happening, more than you may think. Eventhough I own umbrellas, I rarely use them. To me, more of a hassle to get the umbrella out of the trunk than to just run through the rain. I mean it's just water. Just sayin'. Just want to get the point across that rain is a minor concern. If by chance you have a down pour while driving, just pull off for a while, like one of the other posters said, for maybe 15 mnutes, or just drive along at 30 mph with your flashers on until it subsides. No biggie. Hope you have a wonderful cruise. Wish I was going too.

Yes brave to drive to Florida during the hurricane season..and dealing with the bad route through Atlanta. That's why I fly! :)

I am a native of the Tampa Bay area. The rain here is nothing to be concerned with for the most part, unless we have a hurricane, which thankfully is rare. I don't think about rain, unless we don't get enough of it, which is a happening, more than you may think. Eventhough I own umbrellas, I rarely use them. To me, more of a hassle to get the umbrella out of the trunk than to just run through the rain. I mean it's just water. Just sayin'. Just want to get the point across that rain is a minor concern. If by chance you have a down pour while driving, just pull off for a while, like one of the other posters said, for maybe 15 mnutes, or just drive along at 30 mph with your flashers on until it subsides. No biggie. Hope you have a wonderful cruise. Wish I was going too.

If you know what direction the rain clouds are going is a help. If you are travelling WITH the clouds, you may have a long wet drive:eek:

Yes brave to drive to Florida during the hurricane season..and dealing with the bad route through Atlanta. That's why I fly! :)

Hurricane season last for 6 months (Jun-Nov) it is the LAST thing I would worry about. Bad route through Atlanta? It is not a bad route, it can be congested depending on what time of day you hit it. But not a bad route by any means. (I find Nashville a bigger pain to deal with, as it seems to be in a constant state of construction and will back up at the drop of a hat)

Just remember, when it rains you turn your head lights on, NOT your hazard lights. There is a good chance you will hit rain somewhere on that length of trip. Don't let people try to scare you about being having to be brave, its only water....

It is now raining cats and doors with lightning and thunder.

It is the rainy season here in Central Florida.

Can come from all directions over Florida.

A lot of thunder here, but barely a sprinkle today.

I live in central florida. It has been a very rainy June so far. But not rain all day. Usually late afternoon after the heat sets in. One small area might be heavy rain. One mile away no rain. Sun shines and it rains around here.

Try http://www.wftv.com It is a local tv station with the best weather.

We have lots of lighting and thunder also. Stay safe!