HeLP...Florida weather.....

got2shop

Try flying on Allegiant Air to Sanford. They have cheaper flights.

And bad frequency, dismal on-time performance, high rate of cancelations, and NO agreements with other airlines, plus Sanford is a good 4-5 hours away from Miami.

Otherwise, great advice! :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sounds good except for the LOOP IN ATLANTA, we have driven back & forth for years & believe me the loop takes longer by 15-20 min. Just stay on 75 & go with the traffic.

I live in Atlanta. I'll take I-285 (the loop) before I take I-75/85 through downtown ANYTIME. Whoever thought that it would be smart to merge 3 major interstates in the middle of a major city should be beaten. When traffic is bad on 75/85, it's REALLY bad. It becomes a parking lot. The loop may get backed up, but I've never seen it as bad as going through the city.

And bad frequency, dismal on-time performance, high rate of cancelations, and NO agreements with other airlines, plus Sanford is a good 4-5 hours away from Miami.

I agree. Allegiant would not be my choice. No interline agreements and from what I understand not a great reliability rate. If you do fly, go to Ft. Lauderdale and stay there. Then the morning of the cruise take SAS shuttle for 15.00 a piece one way to the port. Book it in advance. They have pick up service from a lot of the Ft Lauderdale hotels. Hotels in Miami are more pricey. Ft Lauderdale gives you a much nicer hotel for less money.

I must be special then...:D I use to use them 3 to 4 times a year for a few years...just up to a few months ago when they quit the route that was very cheap and quick with no lay overs for me....

We always left on time and had no cancelations...thank God

Now on the drive to Miami.....what a pain that would be...417 to 4 to Turnpike to Miami.....Your right, a good 4-5 hours..but heck, better then 2 days driving...;)

By "tropics" I presume you mean "sub-tropics," as no part of Florida is in the tropics.

Geographically, you're correct. No part of Florida is south of the Tropic of Cancer. Under the standard climate classifications though, South Florida, Southwest Florida, and the Keys are have a tropical climate. "Tropical Savannah" IIRC.

It's never fun driving through Atlanta.

Since no hurricanes/tropical storms are in the forecast, you may experience some normal rain and thunder storms which come and go rather quickly.

Have a good and safe trip. :)

LuLu

Hi, Has anyone made a drive to Florida recently??? We are looking to plan a last minute cruise out of Miami for 6/28 aNd looking at our route driving, it shows showers 40% everyday thru out && I was hoping if someone could help us with ... is this everyday Does it actually rain?? Heavy???? We just dont want to be caught in the torrential rain that Florida gets.

This is the time of year that you get thunderstorms almost everyday, last week they had 10 inches of rain.

Hi, Has anyone made a drive to Florida recently??? We are looking to plan a last minute cruise out of Miami for 6/28 aNd looking at our route driving, it shows showers 40% everyday thru out && I was hoping if someone could help us with ... is this everyday Does it actually rain?? Heavy???? We just dont want to be caught in the torrential rain that Florida gets.

It downpours just about every day during this time of year, but it is typically short lived. The rain is typically in the afternoon. So if you can plan your driving around that, it would be great. Also, the rain is often spotty for where it hits.

40% chance of showers everyday, but I see it the opposite way ... 60% chance that it WON'T rain. :)

You can bet that around 3:00 pm everyday during summertime, the clouds move in!

I live in Atlanta. I'll take I-285 (the loop) before I take I-75/85 through downtown ANYTIME. Whoever thought that it would be smart to merge 3 major interstates in the middle of a major city should be beaten. When traffic is bad on 75/85, it's REALLY bad. It becomes a parking lot. The loop may get backed up, but I've never seen it as bad as going through the city.

LOL.....we live 30 miles east of Atlanta and we avoid going there at all costs!!

We have to take relatives to the airport every once in awhile, but we stopped going downtown a long time ago. Too crazy!!!

If you are driving from Chicago to Miami, you are either doing an overnight stay somewhere, or you have at least two drivers on board to handle the non-stop driving, and stops for fuel and food.

Again, don't sweat the Florida rain, as all comments here about it have been correct. It can be isolated, can be gone in 15 minutes, or last a while.

As to the Atlanta congestion, I have no experience with that, but I will say that you need to try to precisely plan your trip as to departure and arrival times. Obviously these could change due to weather / traffic, etc. If this means you leave at 3AM from Chicago you do it (just be sure you are well rested!). So, you make your overnight stop somewhere, and you want to get through Atlanta without congestion the next day, well, leave at an hour that will get you there when there should be little or non congestion. "We leave here at 9PM and get through Atlanta at 3AM or 4AM, not at 7 AM. Of course, most hotels want you checked out at noon, but you could pay a bit more to stay later. It's not easy, that's why I would never do it!

I lived Northeast Atlanta for nearly 20 years. Coming dow I75, it seems logical to loop around I285 on the west side, but also, consider heading east on I285 in the East Side of Atlanta, and getting on I675 which will save you 15 or 20 miles

And, never do Atlanta at rush hour

Hurricane season last for 6 months (Jun-Nov) it is the LAST thing I would worry about. Bad route through Atlanta? It is not a bad route, it can be congested depending on what time of day you hit it. But not a bad route by any means. (I find Nashville a bigger pain to deal with, as it seems to be in a constant state of construction and will back up at the drop of a hat)

It is very obvious that you know the route. I am from Central Illinois and Nashville is always a wild card. Traffic can just appear for no reason. But Atlanta is a known commodity. Plan your trip to hit Atlanta off rush hour.

Regarding the rain in Florida, nothing you can do about it. It would usually be in the afternoons and can happen whenever. Just RainX your windshield and keep on truckin'.

Raining in Miami right now...... Can't use the Jacuzzi :eek:

Holy hell! It's so hot right now why would you want to use a Jacuzzi?

To the OP, I live right off Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale and it has rained every single day this month.

Mostly just for a little while and then moves out.

However, it can be pouring here and be sunny in Miami.

I have found the West Coast of Florida, with the exception of Naples, to be a good bit more dry than the East Coast. Not so much rain.

Edited to add, I just looked at average rainfall totals and it looks like FLL gets 66 inches whereas Tampa gets 46 inches. Big difference.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Florida/yearly-florida-rainfall.php

Edited by BlueHerons

I've lived in a north Altanta suburb for over twenty years. The advantage to going through town is that the distance is shorter and no trucks (except local deliveries) are allowed to take these roads. Semis must stay on I-285. This makes a big difference to me in my peace of mind while driving on Atlanta's interstates. It is important to pay attention to the signs and keep track of the lane you need to be in while going through downtown. This can be tricky, but mostly only if you are planning to exit, which through drivers would not do. But except for rush hour, the "Connector" (I-75/85 through town) is generally pretty good. Just pick a lane, be alert but calm, and don't drive any faster than you feel comfortable doing. The I-285 loop has gotten to be an awful ride -- 5 or 6 lanes of traffic either all dodging around each other at breakneck speed (with tons of semis), or (like I-75/85) an effective traffic stoppage at peak times.

If you can mange it, sail through ATL in the middle of the night on I-75/85 (the Connector) -- no traffic at all! Really, any time after about 9 PM the ride through town will be carefree.