Please help me on my 3 day Bermuda itinerary

TexDisneyMom

On the ferry schedule, only the route from Hamilton to nearby stops have a "holiday schedule" all other routes do not show a schedule from seaexpress.bm

If there is service during holidays, then it is confusing....why show holiday schedule on only one route ??

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

It's printing omission I'm sure. Every other ferry schedule I have in my possession (and I have a number of them from prior years) clearly shows the weekend schedule on the Blue Route as being applicable to Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays. Also the immediate previous winter's schedule, still available on the website, shows the same.

That route is a vital part of the public transportation system for the residents of Bermuda, not just visitors to the island. There are people who have to go to work on holidays, just as they might on weekdays.

So it's good news then !

Hope it's just a printing omission and not a "new and improve" thing ;)

This is going to ease things for all then :)

So it's good news then !

Hope it's just a printing omission and not a "new and improve" thing ;)

This is going to ease things for all then :)

It may actually be better news than just a printing omission and operating on the weekend schedule. On Bermuda Day (celebrated this year on Monday, 5/26), Blue Route and Orange Route ferries operated on their regular Monday schedules .

http://bernews.com/2014/05/ferry-schedule-for-upcoming-bermuda-day/

Just a little "2 cents" about the seaglass. I spoke to several Bermudians and unless you are at THE seaglass beach you are more than welcome to take all the seaglass you want. They don't like it. You will find the most seaglass at beaches along the north side of the island. Mangrove Bay back to the dockyard.

Sea glass is nothing more than broken bottles than have been smoothed by the time spent in the water. It's not some "protected" item.

Just a little "2 cents" about the seaglass. I spoke to several Bermudians and unless you are at THE seaglass beach you are more than welcome to take all the seaglass you want. They don't like it. You will find the most seaglass at beaches along the north side of the island. Mangrove Bay back to the dockyard.

Sea glass is nothing more than broken bottles than have been smoothed by the time spent in the water. It's not some "protected" item.

Exactly,

THE sea glass beach we all talk about near the Dockyard is now under WEDCO management and they forbid the removal of the glass.

All other beaches are ok...and yes it is nothing more then broken glass....but if we want to prevent it from going away....we might want to remove as little as possible...

Have fun !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...

I may be losing my mind, but wasn't there information here regarding the $7 shuttle to HSB?!

I could have sworn someone replied to a post of mine and then I replied to theirs!?

May I am really in need of my vacation :eek:

Hi...

I may be losing my mind, but wasn't there information here regarding the $7 shuttle to HSB?!

I could have sworn someone replied to a post of mine and then I replied to theirs!?

May I am really in need of my vacation :eek:

Yup...crazy :p

LOL ... no not crazy at all...the post was removed because it was from a "member" pretending to be a regular member but in fact he was involved with the tour company he was referring on all the threads. By breaking 2 rules of the forum, he was deleted :D

So back to your question about the 7$ shuttle. It is available at taxi line on the Wharf when you exit the ship. It is 7$ per person per way. No reservation. The main advantage vs the public bus is the hill you have to go down ( and up when you leave ) to access the beach...the shuttle will drop you and pick you up right at the beach's door.

Here is a look at the rates at the Dockyard for different destination and different means of transportation :

( Thanks Charles4515 ) http://smu.gs/1pH4PwI

Like you can see on the rates chart, if you were to have a party of 4, you could use a regular taxi for a little less then 9$ each to reach Horseshoe Bay and you would not have to wait for the shuttle to be full ( but do not worry it's usually not long ).

If you want to know something else, just ask !

Enjoy !

Phew!!! Thanks for the confirmation that I didn't imagine a whole conversation...again!! Does the shuttle return from hsb at certain times? The "other guy" said to talk to the driver. Is that the best?? Ty!!!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

In the peak hours the shuttles are coming and going pretty fast.

If you want to stay a specific amount of time at the beach that makes you leave at a NON peak hour, I would suggest to talk/arrange with the driver.

Worst case you could get a cab ( about 34$ ) but if you split it with 2 other person, it would come to 8,50$ per person ( instead of 7$ )...not too bad.

What are defined as peak hours???

I would guess we are going to try to be off as early as possible and stay until 2 or 3

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Hitting the beach on the first day, there will be a "rush hour" around 8:30. Most people plan a beach day on the first day. Coming back at 2 or 3 "could" be a little more difficult.

Around noon and around 4 are the other busiest time. People will want to go back to the ship for either lunch or dinner, so those times are busier for transport.

But if you attend your M&G or maybe you could post an offer on your roll call, you could find 2 other person and split at cab for not much more then the 7$ for the shuttle. This could save precious time and hit the beach before all the buses arrive there.

Yes the beach is very very large and has plenty of space...but if you plan on renting chairs and umbrella, well the sooner the better.

Hitting the beach on the first day, there will be a "rush hour" around 8:30. Most people plan a beach day on the first day. Coming back at 2 or 3 "could" be a little more difficult.

Around noon and around 4 are the other busiest time. People will want to go back to the ship for either lunch or dinner, so those times are busier for transport.

But if you attend your M&G or maybe you could post an offer on your roll call, you could find 2 other person and split at cab for not much more then the 7$ for the shuttle. This could save precious time and hit the beach before all the buses arrive there.

Yes the beach is very very large and has plenty of space...but if you plan on renting chairs and umbrella, well the sooner the better.

Thanks for all the info!!! It is really appreciated!

It's the best investment of time you can do...honestly you see so much in just 4 hours :)

Taxi tour :if you want to ensure you get a top of the line service, yes booking in advance is recommended. But NO you do not have to book in advance. There is a taxi line a the Dockyard, just look for a Blue flag on the car.

So my suggestions are :

Day 1: Taxi tour from Dockyard at 9am ending at 1pm at the Swizzle Inn ( mention to the driver/tour guide you do not want to go to St-George )

Have a quick bite at the Swizzle Inn and maybe a quick drink ;) . Walk 5 minutes to the Caves entry. If there is no waiting line, both caves will take 75 minutes to complete.

Walk back to the street corner of the Swizzle Inn and either grab a taxi back to Hamilton (about 30$) or a bus ( 30 minutes ).

Now it should be around 4pm or 4:30. You could use the ferry to go back to the ship and freshen up a little and grab a quick bite before the 6:30 ferry back to Hamilton ... OR ... you could walk in Hamilton a little, grab a bite somewhere and participate in the Harbor Nights festival starting at 7pm.

Harbor nights is a street fare. Food kiosk, souvenir, handmade crafts, etc... it is not huge but it's fun to do it 1 time.

Day 2 :

Early ferry to St-George (9:30) have a quick look around , LiLi PERFUMERY is right there, walk 10 or 15 minutes ( or grab a taxi )to Tobacco Bay Beach. The beach is now ( since only a couple of weeks ) more oriented towards beach fun and beach toys and less towards calm and relaxation...so spending time at the beach there is your call... beach or no beach, there is a sea glass beach there with a cave you can go in to collect glass.

Get back to St-George and take ferry to Dockyard. I would suggest the 1pm ferry IF you do not spend time at Tobacco Bay Beach. Once at the Dockyard get on the ship, eat a bite and change and head to Horseshoe bay Beach for the remainder of the day if you feel you have enough time left.

If you feel you will not get enough time at Horseshoe, then after your quick bite on the ship you can go to the glasswork factory, rum cake factory ( same building ), the clocktower shopping mall, maritime museum ( the Fort ) visit, etc....

If you spend your beach time at Tobacco Bay, then the latest ferry back to Dockyard is 5:30....DO NOT miss it ...

Day 3 :

If you didn't go to Horseshoe Bay on day 2, get to the beach early like 8am or 8:30 Enjoy the beach and head back around 1pm. Do a little last minute shopping at the Dockyard and DO NOT miss the ship... :D

I may change my mind later and suggest an other route for the 3 days...So many possibilities !

Talk to you later !

Thanks So Much for the suggested itinerary.. My DH and I and another couple will be on the 8/17 BA to celebrate birthdays (big one for him :eek:)

I loved your itinerary and will be following day 1.

Day 2 - the 2 DHs will be golfing so I will probably hit the beach and then maybe a little shopping or vice versa--(I prefer beach and I believe she prefers shopping) - so compromise in order.

Day 3 - maybe a ferry to st georges and back early-then to dockyard and back on ship well before she sails away :D

Thanks So Much for the suggested itinerary.. My DH and I and another couple will be on the 8/17 BA to celebrate birthdays (big one for him :eek:)

I loved your itinerary and will be following day 1.

Day 2 - the 2 DHs will be golfing so I will probably hit the beach and then maybe a little shopping or vice versa--(I prefer beach and I believe she prefers shopping) - so compromise in order.

Day 3 - maybe a ferry to st georges and back early-then to dockyard and back on ship well before she sails away :D

I did play a round of golf on my first trip to Bermuda. I am NOT a great player and I hadn't play for 4 years before this trip. But I wanted bragging rights ;) on my friends and say I played golf in Bermuda.

I did it on my first day. Se how I did it below :

"Day 1: Taxi tour from Dockyard at 9am ending at 1pm at the Swizzle Inn ( mention to the driver/tour guide you do not want to go to St-George )

Have a quick bite at the Swizzle Inn and maybe a quick drink . Walk 5 minutes to the Caves entry. If there is no waiting line, both caves will take 75 minutes to complete.

Walk back to the street corner of the Swizzle Inn and either grab a taxi back to Hamilton (about 30$) or a bus ( 30 minutes ).

We did ONLY 1 cave and we took a TAXI to Ocean View Golf course. Me and my brother in law dropped-off at the golf course and the girls continued to Hamilton for some shopping. After our 9 holes we took a taxi back to Hamilton to meet with them and we had a small dinner and enjoyed Harbor Nights WITHOUT heading back to the ship prior to it.

Now it should be around 4pm or 4:30. You could use the ferry to go back to the ship and freshen up a little and grab a quick bite before the 6:30 ferry back to Hamilton ... OR ... you could walk in Hamilton a little, grab a bite somewhere and participate in the Harbor Nights festival starting at 7pm."

Harbor nights is a street fare. Food kiosk, souvenir, handmade crafts, etc... it is not huge but it's fun to do it 1 time.

Ocean View is not THE greatest golf course in Bermuda. But it's an easy par 35 on a 9 hole course. 3 holes offer spectacular view of the ocean. Since it's a late start in the afternoon, the pro had a great deal for us for the 2 start, 2 buckets of balls for the driving range, the motorized cart and the club rentals.

Like I said, I am NOT a great golfer...if I had been I probably would have played a more prestigious course. The MAIN characteristic that made us choose this golf course was a "quick" 9 holes...so little time in Bermuda.

Sounds like you had a great time and got as much as possible out of your time in Bermuda. My DH and his friend have their hearts set on port royal - Since it is the Big 60 for both of them - I will happily give up a day (as you know full round of golf will be 5+ hours) for them to enjoy their time at the course. We will catch up after for drinks and then back to the ship for a nice enjoyable dinner- maybe le bistro. Off subject- did you do a cruise review when you were on the BA? I am going to check out your posts- seems you are very similar to us....Thanks again for all your help and insights!! 5 more weeks!

Sounds like you had a great time and got as much as possible out of your time in Bermuda. My DH and his friend have their hearts set on port royal - Since it is the Big 60 for both of them - I will happily give up a day (as you know full round of golf will be 5+ hours) for them to enjoy their time at the course. We will catch up after for drinks and then back to the ship for a nice enjoyable dinner- maybe le bistro. Off subject- did you do a cruise review when you were on the BA? I am going to check out your posts- seems you are very similar to us....Thanks again for all your help and insights!! 5 more weeks!

I didn't do a full report on my trip on the BA because there was such a hype about it on CC that I figured my opinion would be a drop of water in the sea...pun intended :p

It was the biggest ship I sailed on...but I did not find it overwhelming at all. It's new so it is beautiful everywhere...except in my cabin :eek:. We had a mid-ship balcony and there was already wear and tear ( missing knob on drawer, broken hinge on a small door, shower leaking in the bathroom...some little things like that ) not that it bothered me, it was just surprising since we were on a "new ship".

I'll post something for you early in the week

This post has been very helpful and is a perfect example of why, after 7 cruises and 2 visits to Bermuda I still read these boards like a maniac before I go away. There's always something new to learn. Thanks to the OP for starting it.

I will be on the 8/24 Breakaway for my daughters Sweet 16.

My plan is to use the ship for the pool, slides, rope course, etc... while (hopefully) most people will be running off the ship to see Bermuda. Then, maybe after an early dinner take a ride to Hamilton for Harbor Nights? Any opinions on whether a 13 year old boy and 16 year old girl will enjoy this or be bored? Day 2 we want to do a beach day. My wife and I have seen the "must see" beaches so no big deal if I don't get back to them. I have heard good and bad about snorkel park. The good mostly being the convenient location. The bad being it does not really show how beautiful Bermuda Beaches really are when comparing to the most popular places. Thanks to this post I will now look into Black Bay so my question is how does this location compare to say Horshoe Bay or Elbow Beach?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This post has been very helpful and is a perfect example of why, after 7 cruises and 2 visits to Bermuda I still read these boards like a maniac before I go away. There's always something new to learn. Thanks to the OP for starting it.

I will be on the 8/24 Breakaway for my daughters Sweet 16.

My plan is to use the ship for the pool, slides, rope course, etc... while (hopefully) most people will be running off the ship to see Bermuda. Then, maybe after an early dinner take a ride to Hamilton for Harbor Nights? Any opinions on whether a 13 year old boy and 16 year old girl will enjoy this or be bored? Day 2 we want to do a beach day. My wife and I have seen the "must see" beaches so no big deal if I don't get back to them. I have heard good and bad about snorkel park. The good mostly being the convenient location. The bad being it does not really show how beautiful Bermuda Beaches really are when comparing to the most popular places. Thanks to this post I will now look into Black Bay so my question is how does this location compare to say Horshoe Bay or Elbow Beach?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi,

Just my opinion,

Harbor Nights is a street fair...mostly crafts kiosk, souvenir kiosk, Island made food kiosk, hair braiding and hand made jewelry.

Some souvenir stores on Front Street are open.

Live music performed on a big stage and once a month there is some sort of a march...but once a month...

Ambiance is cool, lots of tourist and the 2 last ferry of the night can get crowded.

Will teens enjoy ? If they are into crafts and shopping, they will....otherwise... I think they would enjoy activities on the Breakaway better.

Snorkel Park is not representative of the beaches of Bermuda. It is man made but VERY convenient.

Black Bay is, since last year, operated by WEDCO...they have chair/umbrella rentals, food kiosk and a "portapotty". IF the operator is there, there is also mask and snorkel rentals and I think even "some" inflatable things.

If you have facebook, have a look at their page. It is suppose to be THE place to watch a sunset in Bermuda.

I contacted them about their facilities about 6 weeks ago and they answered promptly and even offered to open the rentals for me since I will travel a little after the tourist season...I won't make them open it just for me....but that's the kind of customer service I like.

Black Bay is next to THE sea glass beach everybody is talking about here.

Hi,

Just my opinion,

Harbor Nights is a street fair...mostly crafts kiosk, souvenir kiosk, Island made food kiosk, hair braiding and hand made jewelry.

Some souvenir stores on Front Street are open.

Live music performed on a big stage and once a month there is some sort of a march...but once a month...

Ambiance is cool, lots of tourist and the 2 last ferry of the night can get crowded.

Will teens enjoy ? If they are into crafts and shopping, they will....otherwise... I think they would enjoy activities on the Breakaway better.

Snorkel Park is not representative of the beaches of Bermuda. It is man made but VERY convenient.

Black Bay is, since last year, operated by WEDCO...they have chair/umbrella rentals, food kiosk and a "portapotty". IF the operator is there, there is also mask and snorkel rentals and I think even "some" inflatable things.

If you have facebook, have a look at their page. It is suppose to be THE place to watch a sunset in Bermuda.

I contacted them about their facilities about 6 weeks ago and they answered promptly and even offered to open the rentals for me since I will travel a little after the tourist season...I won't make them open it just for me....but that's the kind of customer service I like.

Black Bay is next to THE sea glass beach everybody is talking about here.

"Just" your opinion? Isn't that why we're all here, to get everyone else's opinions? Thanks for the input. I think I'll play Harbor Nights by ear and let it depend on whats going on that night on the ship. Black Bay is a definite possibility from what i see on FB and other reviews so thanks for that too.

So here it is...

This is a mini review of the sailing I was on in November.

Breakaway is large...very large!

Not overwhelming at all, and even with a full ship we had plenty of moments we were alone somewhere. On my sailing I found Spice H2O to be under utilized during the day. The 2 hot tubs were never full, plenty of chairs to enjoy the sun, little water fall to cool your feet, a good bar and a great view on "the plank" from the ropes course.

This venue was great at night and plenty of themed parties there. Enjoyed the fireworks from there with the music...very good !

The restaurant I found to be almost deserted is Uptown Bar and Grill on deck 16 near the climbing wall. The had hot and freshly made panini, different burgers, different sandwiches, fries in a holder like at McDonald's, etc...

We enjoyed specialty restaurants, Bistro, La Cuccina and Moderno. They are all worth the extra $.

We had the UBP and enjoyed plenty of drinks at the bar from O'Sheehan's and also a few dishes from there. Wings and hot artichoke dip was very good, burgers were burgers like at the buffet...some food is really good...some not...

We tried to enjoy a huge sundae one night but they stop serving ice cream at a certain time...

We enjoy the buffet for breakfast, we always make our own sandwiches to give us a boost and not have a craving when we leave the ship to explore Bermuda. ( toasted bagel, mayo, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, sliced boiled egg and bacon )

We always found a least a couple of things to be very good every day at the buffet, either for lunch or when we didn't go to the specialty. We also enjoyed the late night buffet as well.

We had a great steak at Taste on deck 6 also one night. Service was very good and efficient.

We went to Cirque on the first night ( 25% off ) and it was excellent, for me it is a "must see" on the ship. We saw Rock of ages ( saw it on Broadway a couple of years ago ), like other reviews have said..NOT for kids...it was a little above Ok..maybe because we saw the Broadway production ??. Burn the Floor was just Ok...my girlfriend asked me 2 times what time it was during the show, that should tell you everything...

We did the Ice Bar...drinks not so good, small freezer and really nothing in there to justify the 25$ per person...will not do it again.

We often went to Mixx bar on deck 6 because after ONE visit there, the bartender remembered our names and waved at us whenever we came across him on the ship.

One of my 2 negative point is the layout of the shops on deck 8...HORRIBLE...who designed that ?? he should get his a** fired !. When they have their crazy sales it is a madhouse!! You exit the elevator and are stuck in a crowd of people...they have 2 kiosk in the middle of the place, you just cant pass on either side with the sea of people...once you manage your way pass this one, there is a second one in even a tighter squeeze ...crazy !

The second thing is...well I don't know how to describe it but it's the vibe...I don't know...I sailed only "smaller" ship of about 2200 pax and both the Gem and the Star offered me a better feeling. I will sail the Dawn in a few months...I'll see if it's just me or is 4000 pax just to many ?

If you have any specific questions, just ask !

This is a great thread for tips for our upcoming BA to Bermuda. I would like to take the ferry to St. George and then follow someone's walking directions to Tobacco Bay that was also shared on this board. Here's my question....how far is the walk back from TB into St. George to the Swizzle Inn? We're not really interested in the caves and plan to spend most of our time at the many beaches but the Swizzle Inn is also on our "must do" list. Should we consider a bus from TB to the Swizzle Inn or it the distance not too far?

This is a great thread for tips for our upcoming BA to Bermuda. I would like to take the ferry to St. George and then follow someone's walking directions to Tobacco Bay that was also shared on this board. Here's my question....how far is the walk back from TB into St. George to the Swizzle Inn? We're not really interested in the caves and plan to spend most of our time at the many beaches but the Swizzle Inn is also on our "must do" list. Should we consider a bus from TB to the Swizzle Inn or it the distance not too far?

The Swizzle Inn isn't in walking distance...you have to take a bus, and the bus doesn't go from Tobacco Bay (no buses pass by Tobacco Bay), it leaves from St. George's.

So here it is...

This is a mini review of the sailing I was on in November.

Breakaway is large...very large!

Not overwhelming at all, and even with a full ship we had plenty of moments we were alone somewhere. On my sailing I found Spice H2O to be under utilized during the day. The 2 hot tubs were never full, plenty of chairs to enjoy the sun, little water fall to cool your feet, a good bar and a great view on "the plank" from the ropes course. This is great to know and quite surprising. On the Epic- Spice was always over crowded!

This venue was great at night and plenty of themed parties there. Enjoyed the fireworks from there with the music...very good !

The restaurant I found to be almost deserted is Uptown Bar and Grill on deck 16 near the climbing wall. The had hot and freshly made panini, different burgers, different sandwiches, fries in a holder like at McDonald's, etc...Sounds delicious!! I heard positive things from other reviewers as well.

We enjoyed specialty restaurants, Bistro, La Cuccina and Moderno. They are all worth the extra $. We, too, always enjoyed Bistro..

We had the UBP and enjoyed plenty of drinks at the bar from O'Sheehan's and also a few dishes from there. Wings and hot artichoke dip was very good, burgers were burgers like at the buffet...some food is really good...some not...

We tried to enjoy a huge sundae one night but they stop serving ice cream at a certain time...

We enjoy the buffet for breakfast, we always make our own sandwiches to give us a boost and not have a craving when we leave the ship to explore Bermuda. ( toasted bagel, mayo, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, sliced boiled egg and bacon ) What a Great Idea

We always found a least a couple of things to be very good every day at the buffet, either for lunch or when we didn't go to the specialty. We also enjoyed the late night buffet as well.

We had a great steak at Taste on deck 6 also one night. Service was very good and efficient.

We went to Cirque on the first night ( 25% off ) and it was excellent, for me it is a "must see" on the ship. We saw Rock of ages ( saw it on Broadway a couple of years ago ), like other reviews have said..NOT for kids...it was a little above Ok..maybe because we saw the Broadway production ??. Burn the Floor was just Ok...my girlfriend asked me 2 times what time it was during the show, that should tell you everything...

Sounds like I should plan for the shows -- I was worried about burn the floor. My husband makes sure we are seated in an area where we could easily "escape" if needed :) We also saw Rock of Ages on Broadway last year.

We did the Ice Bar...drinks not so good, small freezer and really nothing in there to justify the 25$ per person...will not do it again. Every year we say we will try it but something else comes along and we don't :)

We often went to Mixx bar on deck 6 because after ONE visit there, the bartender remembered our names and waved at us whenever we came across him on the ship. My Kind of Bar!

One of my 2 negative point is the layout of the shops on deck 8...HORRIBLE...who designed that ?? he should get his a** fired !. When they have their crazy sales it is a madhouse!! You exit the elevator and are stuck in a crowd of people...they have 2 kiosk in the middle of the place, you just cant pass on either side with the sea of people...once you manage your way pass this one, there is a second one in even a tighter squeeze ...crazy !

Agree! very similar on the Epic as well

The second thing is...well I don't know how to describe it but it's the vibe...I don't know...I sailed only "smaller" ship of about 2200 pax and both the Gem and the Star offered me a better feeling. I will sail the Dawn in a few months...I'll see if it's just me or is 4000 pax just to many ?

We sailed the Dawn in 08 - did enjoy her. Sailed the Pearl more recently- Loved the Pearl!!

If you have any specific questions, just ask !

Thanks for taking the time! Can't wait only 4 more Sundays!