Uniworld Castles on the Rhine

Los_Pepes

Have you looked at the "Cruise Companion" for that itinerary? On Uniworld's site, select "Before you go" and then "Cruise Companion". This is much more detailed than the daily itinerary included on the basic information page. It will detail which excursions are optional. It does not include price, but we've found most of the optional excursions on Uniworld are around 40 euros a person. On our first cruise I don't think we did any of the optional excursions, as we enjoyed more free time in the places we docked. On our second cruise we only did one of the optional excursions.

Even though they only have the 2014 Cruise Companions on the website, we've found very little changes from year to year. Perhaps someone who's been on this cruise could contribute more.

There were 3 optional excursions on our trip the first week of April:

Black Forest (from Kehl) - didn't take this so don't know the details.

Heidelberg (from Mannheim/Speyer) - a guided visit to the castle then the town; plenty of free time to enjoy it. €59

Marksburg Castle (from Koblenz) - guided tour of the castle. €39

There are pictures of the last two optional tours in our picture review (link in signature). People seemed to speak well of the Black Forest tour but we didn't take it so we don't know any details. If I remember I will look in my daily newsletter to see if the cost is given, when I get home tonight.

Edited by jpalbny

Thanks! I will check out your pix. Was Heidelberg worth it?

Yes, we enjoyed it. More than Marksburg.

BTW, checked my daily newsletters but did not find the price for the Black Forest optional tour.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the helpful 411. Another quick question. What ports did the boat stay at until late in the evening or all night for that matter? We did the Danube on the Beatrice in April and we had a lot of fun go out and sampling the nightlife.

Edited by Los_Pepes

It will depend on which direction you're sailing - we did Basel to Amsterdam. If you're doing that, my answer may apply to next year. If you're going in the opposite direction, port times will be different.

We stayed in Basel until midnight, and Boppard overnight.

I highly recommend you read the excellent thread posted by JP and Chris on this cruise itinerary. We read it before our departure, and it added much to our enjoyment of the trip. Do a search under Castles along the Rhine, or similar.

BTW, this is an excellent cruise, wonderful itinerary, first class treatment from Uniworld. I highly recommend it to anyone who has not yet done it.

Have been able to find three different docks in Basel but can't seem to find which one Uniworld docks at.

Thanks.

It's usually Dreilandereck. They will confirm before the sailing. However it can change at the last minute.

Tinkindling, thanks for the shout out. Glad you had such a great time!

Edited by jpalbny

There were 3 optional excursions on our trip the first week of April:

Black Forest (from Kehl) - didn't take this so don't know the details.

Heidelberg (from Mannheim/Speyer) - a guided visit to the castle then the town; plenty of free time to enjoy it. €59

Marksburg Castle (from Koblenz) - guided tour of the castle. €39

There are pictures of the last two optional tours in our picture review (link in signature). People seemed to speak well of the Black Forest tour but we didn't take it so we don't know any details. If I remember I will look in my daily newsletter to see if the cost is given, when I get home tonight.

We sailed this itinerary on Uniworld S.S. Antoinette in Nov.2013 and did the Optional Black Forest and Marksburg Castle and would recommend both tours. Also my wife really enjoyed the included "SELECT" Vinegar tasting tour, but the name of the town eludes me.