Passport Question

heids32

I was just curious if anyone has gotten a passport recently. We are trying to decide if we have enough time to get them or if we just shouldn't cut it this close... I hate to pay the extra $60 a piece, though I wouldn't mind sending extra money for next day postage when they do get it done. Anyone ever done that? Thanks for the advice:)

Heidi

I am assuming that you are leaving in 57 days based on your ticker. You might be cutting it close. I know that they should get if back to you in about 6 weeks, well you might run into some issue. The reason I say this is that my DW and I have always had our passports since the first time we cruised. To make a long story short my new puppy ate part of my passport so I had to get a new one. Filled out app, took new pictures and sent it off with about 2 and 1/2 months till my next cruise. About 6 weeks later I get a letter saying I was turned down for my renewal. I called passport ppl and come to find out I had to send a letter in with my renewal with what happened to passport. So I sent in my one sentence letter and about 2 weeks before my depature I got my passport. I know that $60 might seem abit much but the peace of mind you will have in knowing that you will have everything in order is worth every penny

We just got our passports. I ordered mine first back in April. It took 12 days. Then I ordered the kids in May and theirs took 3 weeks. My husband finally ordered his in June and it took 5 1/2 weeks. So it seems they are getting busier. The other odd thing is, my passport and the kids were all processed at the Chicago facility (we live near Chicago) but my husbands was processed at the Charleston facility. I don't know why it would come from there except that maybe Chicago was getting backlogged so they sent it to another facility. Also, we were wondering about the status since it was taking so long so I sent an inquiry. The next day, I got an e-mail telling me that it had been mailed Aug. 2nd (same day I sent the inquiry). It came on Aug. 4th. It also came by priority mail and none of the others did. Maybe it was just a coincidence but I can't help thinking that sending the inquiry brought his application back to the top of the pile and got it processed.

Thanks for all the answers! Yes, we do travel in 57 days. (YEA!) And I know that we don't NEED the passports for this cruise, it would be nice to have but if it comes down to it we can do the ID and birth certificate thing again... Any other recent passport holders?

Thanks!

Heidi

Guest cruzr44
Thanks for all the answers! Yes, we do travel in 57 days. (YEA!) And I know that we don't NEED the passports for this cruise, it would be nice to have but if it comes down to it we can do the ID and birth certificate thing again... Any other recent passport holders?

Thanks!

Heidi

We got ours in May and it took five weeks. They do take your birth certificate with the application so you may get anxious if it ends up taking longer and you don't have your BC back in time for your cruise. Unless you are planning to get a duplicate BC for piece of mind.

Getting a duplicate BC would be a great back up plan. Or go with the BC for this cruise and put the application in when you get back (assuming you won't need the BC for several months).

On another thread we were comparing time to get renewals back. Last November it was just a couple of weeks. March was up to 30 days. We sent ours in on 21 June and it took 38 days. So, the wait time seems to be increasing for renewals and probably for new apps as well.

Charlie

I used one of the expidited passport services about 5 years ago and was extremely pleased with them. We went to the post office on Monday morning and filled out the application and by Wednesday at 3:00 we had our passports.

I can't remember the cost but I do remember the company's name so if you want it email me.

My son just got a new passport and it took 6 weeks and his birth certificate and old passport were returned. He is 17 so he had to get a new passport because his expired. We were told that they are supposed to send the birth certificates back with the passports but unfortunately that does not always happen. So if you decide to get a passport, I would be sure to have another birth certificate on hand.

Two years ago we got ours in ten days total. We put in for them almost four months ahead of our trip and we so surprised how quickly they came. Today I would plan on much more time. Lot's of people will be surprised after January 1.

Because of the new regulations going into effect at the end of this year I decided it would be wise just to invest in a passport for me and my two sons who will be traveling with me in Oct. I sent my application for my passport on 7/1 and my children on 7/18. Two weeks later, my sons got theirs in the mail and I am still waiting :rolleyes: I called to make sure everything was alright with my passport (they have extended hours 12am), and they stated I would have my passport by the end of the week and since I didn't expident my childrens they cannot explain why they received theirs first. They are currently overwhelmed with passport application. I guess if anyone is planning on getting a passport, it would be best to do it asap.

Thank you for all the replies. We went ahead and ordered them. They told us it would be within six weeks. So that gives us an extra week and a few days. I just ordered myself a duplicate b c online for myself (has to come from Michigan, wanted to make sure I had lots of time to get it!) and will go to the courthouse to get my husband one if time gets close. So we'll see if it actually takes six weeks or if we get them sooner. I will let you guys know in case there is anyone else wondering too:)

Heidi

Archived