$558 price drop on a sold out category!! Thanks CC

Yesterday I noticed pricing for the 6Js was much lower than what we booked our 6K. So I called Carnival and asked the rep if she would switch us to one of the 6Js still open to get the lower pricing and then switch us right back to the 6K, which I knew would also come up much lower once vacant. Initially the rep said she wasn’t sure if we could downgrade, but I knew better. This cabin wasn’t booked early saver and I read the terms of the sale. Nowhere did it say you couldn’t downgrade. After we got through that, the rep switched us to a 6J, which lowered our final payment from $955 to $357. To upgrade back to the 6K was $40 more, so we did that and saved $558 net by the time it was all said and done! Had I not read information on cruise critic about price drops and what pricing promos will allow you to downgrade, etc., I never would have saved this money. I also think I hit a stroke of luck, because the rep was pretty on point and fast. Once she cleared up that we in fact could downgrade, she did the two transactions in less than 5 minutes.

Sometimes it can be rough waters around this board but if you can wade through, there’s a TON of useful and money saving information! I had to pay the cruise off right then, but I knew as much from reading this board. Final payment was in two weeks anyway. Thanks CC!!

I also want to add that this cruise is a switch from our original sailing this year that was that was booked with a TA. I’m not going to bash TAs, because I love the company we use but we had a couple of troubling issues with our initial booking and wound up rebooking directly with Carnival. For what it’s worth, I do find it much easier talking to Carnival directly. I’m not sure if I could have made this or the other price drop I didn’t detail in this post (much smaller) happen if I had to first explain it to someone else. I would use a TA again, but the incentives would have to be worth the ease of just picking up the phone and talking for yourself. Again, not a condemnation at all of TAs. Just how I feel having booked both ways.

No the room wasn't put on hold. Not as far as I know. She didn't mention doing that. Like I said, she really worked pretty fast. I would have been content with the 6J had the 6K gotten snatched up that quick. I did purposely do this around 6am yesterday morning. ;)

Wow!!

that's lucky!!!

wonder if I can get some help in that case....

I'm booked into one of the Grand oceanview rooms on Valor Sept 28 (the massive slanting window rooms), The category is sold out BUT the oceanview price is around half of what we paid when we booked. I thought of upgrading to balcony but the only ones available don't really appeal to me and I really like our room.

I'm not sure what booking type I used originally (early saver/past guest)

Is there anything I can do?? We are fully paid, and I'm happy with my room/the price when booked so it wouldn't be an issue if nothing can be done, but it would be nice to get some credit or something.

Rubygold if you are booked under early saver, what I did won't work as early saver doesn't allow for any downgrading-even if temporary. If you book past guest or any other rate, you could try it so long as you aren't past your final payment DATE. Keep in mind you would need to be o.k. with the room you temporarily switched to, because there's always a slim chance that your grand scenic would get snatched up just that quick. If you have PVP that will help. The rep needs to work fast. And like me, I would call at an odd time of the day. Find out what rate you're booked under then go from there. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Couple of questions if you don't mind. How were you able to find out the price of the 6k if it was sold out? When doing mock bookings, if the category is sold out then you can't choose it and see the price.

Second question is how does one find out if you can downgrade or not?

Cruzinizthebest- Thanks for the info! I might call up to check. But I don't want to risk losing my room so will probably just keep it as is then. As I said before, I'm happy with the price I paid, and these rooms are much sought after so I think I won't risk it!!!!

If you are early saver, you can downgrade up until final payment date. I downgraded twice from balcony to balcony guaranteed and then I downgraded again by snatching up a 6K that happened to become available the day before my final payment date. :eek: Keep in mind, I called twice and the first rep said I could not downgrade to the 6k at the time, but I called again and found out that early savers can downgrade before final payment date. So, always verify information.

Couple of questions if you don't mind. How were you able to find out the price of the 6k if it was sold out? When doing mock bookings, if the category is sold out then you can't choose it and see the price.

Second question is how does one find out if you can downgrade or not?

The category right below and above mine were both lower, so I could reasonably assume my sold out category was too. I didn't know how much more it would be when she did the switcheroo, but I definitely didn't expect it would only be $40! I was fine with the price booked. But honestly I would have stayed in the 6J before I kept the 6k at the original price only because prices had dropped so much. I could have gotten a balcony cheaper although I wouldn't want one.

If you're not sure what rate/promo you booked under I would call. I don't know if it shows anywhere.

Cruzinizthebest- Thanks for the info! I might call up to check. But I don't want to risk losing my room so will probably just keep it as is then. As I said before, I'm happy with the price I paid, and these rooms are much sought after so I think I won't risk it!!!!

Understood! Enjoy your 6K. I plan to enjoy mine!!

If you are early saver, you can downgrade up until final payment date. I downgraded twice from balcony to balcony guaranteed and then I downgraded again by snatching up a 6K that happened to become available the day before my final payment date. :eek: Keep in mind, I called twice and the first rep said I could not downgrade to the 6k at the time, but I called again and found out that early savers can downgrade before final payment date. So, always verify information.

That's interesting because I was sure early saver didn't allow downgrades. Well good for you!

It does pay call back if need be. I initially tried this early Saturday morning and the guy at Carnival told me the more=merrier sale was for new bookings only. I was like o.k. and just hung up. Lol

That's interesting because I was sure early saver didn't allow downgrades. Well good for you!

It does pay call back if need be. I initially tried this early Saturday morning and the guy at Carnival told me the more=merrier sale was for new bookings only. I was like o.k. and just hung up. Lol

This is true, some sales only apply to new bookings. I think the sale at the time was 123 days of summer.

I have two price drops using ES.. equal to $642 OBC! We have a balcony on the Dream for July and am very happy to have these savings. Of course, I also learned from CC how to negotiate these price drops. I would have never known if I did not "stalk" these boards. LOL

I agree that it is so helpful to read these boards. I was blessed with 890.00 savings on 3 cabins for my family. I had to do a downgrade--only to another floor which is riviera and it's where we always book anyway. No need to convince me to stay on riviera deck. We have the best sleep, midship and only had to give up one connecting room. We are now in 3 non-connecting rooms but still close to each other. Saving 890.00 was huge. The lady helping me took longer than I expected but she got it done. I also had to call the next day to get the credit on one of my rooms after convincing the guy that I booked in January not in May as it appeared ( I changed from 2 rooms to 3 in May, giving carnival more money). So 2 phone calls and the change was done. I am happy.

I have never seen a 6K by doing a mock booking (nor have I even seen it on fare viewer). I had to call and convince them that the Freedom actually had them, so the chances of someone getting the cabin in the interim seem slim to me. Well done!