Insurance and Non-refundable Deposits

Working 2 Cruise

I booked the upcoming Pacific Coastal cruise with a non-refundable deposit and have the platinum insurance... If I pay for the insurance now, will I be able to cancel my cruise later and get back my deposit as a future credit? I'm thinking of doing the 10 day Mexico cruise instead....

Thanks!

I booked the upcoming Pacific Coastal cruise with a non-refundable deposit and have the platinum insurance... If I pay for the insurance now, will I be able to cancel my cruise later and get back my deposit as a future credit? I'm thinking of doing the 10 day Mexico cruise instead....

Thanks!

You should get back the deposit as a credit for a "cancel for any reason", but, you lose the price of the insurance. So decide which is going to be the smaller loss, the insurance premium or the deposit.

Thanks!

The insurance is separate from the cruise itself, thus, if your reason for canceling is covered under the insurance, you will get the full refund except you won't get the money back for the insurance and it is not transferrable to a different cruise. Usually, just wanting to cancel to take a different cruise is not covered under your basic insurance.

With that being said, you may be able to move your deposit to a different cruise...sometimes the cruiseline is willing to work with you. So, wouldn't cancel but would just try to move the deposit to the new cruise. If you are going to do that, you would probably be better off waiting on purchasing the insurance. You really don't want to lose the deposit as well as the insurance.

My TA says it can't be done...

Read the Platinum insurance stipulations. It looks like it can be done.

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Princess-Vacation-Protection-Plans-Offer-Peace-of-Mind.html

"Any Reason" Cancellations -- This special feature enables passengers who choose to cancel their vacation for any reason at all to receive 75 percent (100 percent with Princess Platinum Vacation Protection) of their cancellation fee as a future cruise credit provided by Princess. And, passengers can cancel at any time up until departure to be eligible for these credits. There are no blackout periods as with some other programs.

Call Princess directly to verify what is legitimate in your case.

Edited by ar1950

Prior to booking my last cruise (sailing this October) I called Princess with this exact scenario, just for my own information.

They had me call the company that does the insurance, and it is possible to do what you are asking within the Platinum "cancel for any reason" clause.

As you assumed the insurance would be forfeited, but you would get your deposit back.

Prior to booking my last cruise (sailing this October) I called Princess with this exact scenario, just for my own information.

They had me call the company that does the insurance, and it is possible to do what you are asking within the Platinum "cancel for any reason" clause.

As you assumed the insurance would be forfeited, but you would get your deposit back.

Thank you so much! That's very good news!

I haven't tried Princess insurance yet...the insurance I have been using gives a discount when I book thru my "big box membership" store. I have cancelled and rebooked 2 cruises and the insurance gives me a credit when I redo the insurance for the new cruise.

You may want to check the current insurance offerings through the "big box membership" shore. If it is the same "big box" store I have used the insurance offering changed in May and now the price is much higher, at least if you are older, and you have to book within 21 days of paying your deposit to get the preexisting condition coverage not before final payment as it was previously. There was a lot of discussion about this on the Travel Insurance thread on these boards.

I booked a cruise with a non-refundable deposit directly with Princess, changed the cruise, and they used the deposit on the replacement cruise without me even asking for them to do it. This about March '14.

Nice! My TAs advice is to call Berkeley directly... So, I will pay the insurance, cancel the cruise and book the other cruise herewith Princess...