Americas' Cup Race excursion in St Maartan

mamamzee

Has anyone done this? It's one of Celebrity's "shore" excursions and maybe others' too.

Husband uses a cane to walk and is not feeble but is not athletic either. Is this doable?

We did it twice. Once when we were in St Marteen before the ships were doing the race and another with our family while cruising. It is actually or was one sail racing the other and it can be somewhat strenuous. They ask for volunteers to work the sails and other things and one has to hold on for dear life if they are just observers.

It is a lot of fun and a terrific experience but when we went it was not a smooth sail.

Karen

Done it a few times. Must able to climb over various parts of the boat, high degree of motion and bouncing around on slippery narrow decks. Great fun but you have to know what you are getting into. These are high performance racing boats not designed for comfort.

Has anyone done this? It's one of Celebrity's "shore" excursions and maybe others' too.

Husband uses a cane to walk and is not feeble but is not athletic either. Is this doable?

We have done it 3 times. Fantastic!

If you do not want to do anything strenuous, you can be the bartender or timekeeper. I was the main sail trimmer, which is also very easy to do. Also, most of the time, the sails are set and you are just sitting around doing nothing, relaxing, but, when it is time to tack and move the sails, it can be a fast and furious couple of minutes.

I highly recommend it. Just be aware, it is a real race, and your captain and crew are committed to winning. It is very competitive.

Absolutely one of my all time favorite excursions.

We did it and I have a bad knee. They try to get everyone to actively participate in sailing the race. But at least 3 of us said no. So while the Captain was not happy, he had no choice. So we just sat there and hung on. A few wanted minimal duty and became time keepers or passed out beer. Remember at least for us, the race was pretty fast and you really had to hang on at times.

The only negative, the Captain was a bit of a pill. Instead of letting his passengers try their best and enjoy the experience, he rode a few a bit too much. He wanted to win so much he even berated a few inexperienced passengers who really had no idea what to do.

We had a good time, but I know a few passengers did complain to the shore excursions desk back on the ship.

We did it and I have a bad knee. They try to get everyone to actively participate in sailing the race. But at least 3 of us said no. So while the Captain was not happy, he had no choice. So we just sat there and hung on. A few wanted minimal duty and became time keepers or passed out beer. Remember at least for us, the race was pretty fast and you really had to hang on at times.

The only negative, the Captain was a bit of a pill. Instead of letting his passengers try their best and enjoy the experience, he rode a few a bit too much. He wanted to win so much he even berated a few inexperienced passengers who really had no idea what to do.

We had a good time, but I know a few passengers did complain to the shore excursions desk back on the ship.

As I said, it is a competition. The Captain wants to win, and so does your team (for the most part).

If you are looking to sit back and just relax, this is definitely not the excursion for you. But, if you are looking for competition, excitement, while sailing a real racing yacht, this is the excursion for you.

I've also done this and was a primary winch grinder - let me tell ya - it was a good workout (and our yacht won BTW). There was very little to do or anywhere to sit for anyone with limited mobility, as this is not a tour bus with a wheelchair lift. All persons need to be able to navigate narrow stairs, step over ropes, etc. I would not recommend for someone who is in any way frail or mobility limited for their own safety.

I've also done this and was a primary winch grinder - let me tell ya - it was a good workout (and our yacht won BTW). There was very little to do or anywhere to sit for anyone with limited mobility, as this is not a tour bus with a wheelchair lift. All persons need to be able to navigate narrow stairs, step over ropes, etc. I would not recommend for someone who is in any way frail or mobility limited for their own safety.

It's certainly not for any with mobility issues.

LuLu