Review Century to Alaska June 15-22

nw gardener

Just back and thought I would share my thoughts as a first time cruiser with Celebrity while still fresh in my mind. Simply, loved the cruise and loved Celebrity. Had been to Alaska twice before on NCL and Celebrity was several steps above. Weather cooperated [only rained while traveling, not in port] so great luck there. The Century is an older ship and I saw a few areas where she is showing her age but I loved the size of the ship, the crew is outstanding, the ship is clean, and a few "age spots" did not detract from having a good time. The MDR was very good and used the lido only a couple of times, don't care for buffets and it was only fair. Had the classic package as a perk and that was perfect for my DH and I, not big drinkers but love coffee, so the Cova cafe was my favorite hangout, along with being in the Hemisphere lounge watching for whales. Didn't miss any of the on board naturalist Milos talks, he was great! Was looking to unwind and have a low key time and succeeded, but ready to go back! Have done quite a few excursions in the past but only did the tram and bus out to Mendenhall this time in Juneau, the rest just using public transportation or walking shopping, and exploring on our own. We had a CC cabin, deck 9 aft corner, quiet there and having a balcony is a plus for Alaska and viewing. If anyone has questions, I will try to answer them.

Thanks for your review! We're sailing the. Century on July 13 on our first Alaskan cruise. One question. Did you see many whales from your deck, or do you wish you had taken a whale watching tour?

We saw lots of Dahl's porpoise the entire trip, hard to take pics of - they are fast and barely break the surface, small pod of killer whales 1 mile so of Juneau directly in front of the ship and close, several humpbacks but binoculars were needed to get a good view. Check out Milo's talks or when he is up in the Hemisphere Lounge in the afternoons watching for whales and sharing with guests, great resource and funny guy. We skipped a whale watch excursion on this trip, will do one next year, probably Orca enterprises out of Juneau, my brother did their excursion on his last cruise and loved them. Whale watching out of Icy Strait would be my second pick.

Great review! Going in August for our first Alaska cruise first time in celebrity. What was the entertainment like?

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Forums mobile app

We did not go to any of the shows, preferred cocktails in the Hemisphere after dinner or would listen to the house band in the Rendezvous lounge or the guitarist or strings at the Cova cafe, watched an art auction with some amusement....lost small amount of money on the slots -but really, didn't expect anything else, like playing lotto...better chance of getting hit by lightning than winning :) , made a half-hearted attempt at keeping calorie intake down by using the treadmill and liked the spa equipment, went to all of Milos' naturalist talks, did the galley tour, but it was pretty low key for us this go round.