A Couple of AMA Questions

sippican

We are looking forward to our upcoming trip (closely monitoring the low water level thread and doing a rain dance :D).

Regarding luggage: The cruise contract states one suitcase is allowed and additional pieces will be subject to excess baggage charges. Has anyone actually been charged? I travel with a medium checked bag and a very small rolling suitcase. We are taking the transfer from Prague and wonder if the bus space is an issue.

I'm sure it varies with itinerary, but we are curious if the Captain's Dinner usually happens near the beginning or end of the cruise (specifically the Romantic Danube itinerary if anyone has recent experience). We are a group of 14 and would like to reserve Erlebnis when we board.

All other tips and insights welcome.

I plan to do a min-trip live trip report as time and energy allow.

On our AMA cruises the Captain's dinners are generally on the next to last night, unless in a port where something is offered as an optional.

AMA used a DB (German national rail and bus) for the transfer to/from Prague and they want the carry on to fit in overhead space, which is very tight.

Hi Sippican. We did the Romantic Danube last year (July 1-8). The Captain's dinner was on the 6th night,next to last night. We also took the transfer from Prague to Vilshofen. There was plenty of extra room both on the bus and in the luggage compartment. We did meet some people that like to travel with a lot of luggage and they were not charged for excess luggage. What a difference a year makes. Last year we were concerned about high water, floods and broken locks,this year low water levels. Will do a rain dance.

We are looking forward to our upcoming trip (closely monitoring the low water level thread and doing a rain dance :D).

Regarding luggage: The cruise contract states one suitcase is allowed and additional pieces will be subject to excess baggage charges. Has anyone actually been charged? I travel with a medium checked bag and a very small rolling suitcase. We are taking the transfer from Prague and wonder if the bus space is an issue.

I'm sure it varies with itinerary, but we are curious if the Captain's Dinner usually happens near the beginning or end of the cruise (specifically the Romantic Danube itinerary if anyone has recent experience). We are a group of 14 and would like to reserve Erlebnis when we board.

All other tips and insights welcome.

I plan to do a min-trip live trip report as time and energy allow.

Thanks for the heads up about the luggage allowance. We all know how important it is to NOT put certain items in checked luggage including a change of clothes. Doubt I can find a bag that will hold these items AND fit in a bus overhead! Hope others can add some info here.

Looking forward to your trip report. Hope all goes well for you. I would join your rain dance but I live on California and my dancing hasn't helped at all out here:(