temperatures on the water

Mytime2014

Weather underground today shows Juneau, Sitka, and Glacier Bay National Park in the 50s. I understand it is colder in the actual glacier waters - is there an algorithm/rule of thumb that says - 50 in Juneau, 40 in Glacier Bay? I know it will depend on the wind, the rain, moisture in the air, speed of the boat - I just want a good idea. Heaviest coat? long johns, 3 layers of tops and a scarf.

or is it even possible to anticipate what mother nature will do while you're in the tunnel of glaciers?

can it be 70 in Juneau and 35 in Glacier Bay?

What is the best weather site to check when we get closer. Not that it matters - we'll have what we have on the ship and if it is too cold or too rainy - we stay in if its not then we're on the deck.

200 hours - I can hardly stand myself!!!

It is going to feel very cool in Glacier Bay.

This is where you want to spend a lot of time outside and you do want to layer your clothing.

One of the biggest factors on how cold it will feel will be what the skies are like that day (eg., sunny, overcast, rainy, etc.) and how windy it is.

But it will likely feel quite cool.

Keith

You shouldn't need a heavy coat. You should wear layers, with a waterproof outer shell with a hood. A hat and gloves are good. If you keep your head and ears warm, the rest of you will stay warmer.

Whatever you do, do NOT "stay in" in Glacier Bay!!! :eek:

if it is too cold or too rainy - we stay in if its not then we're on the deck.

200 hours - I can hardly stand myself!!!

Rainy I stay in - maybe. Cool or even cold - I just layer up. You can't keep me inside inAK. Alaska is an outside kind of place.

BTW , this is just me but I have never ever needed long johns in Alaska in the summer. Layers - yes. Long johns - no.

DON

You shouldn't need a heavy coat. You should wear layers, with a waterproof outer shell with a hood. A hat and gloves are good. If you keep your head and ears warm, the rest of you will stay warmer.

Whatever you do, do NOT "stay in" in Glacier Bay!!! :eek:

I ordered a coat that turned out to be heavier than I thought it would be nylon outer/fleece inner- but still not a heavy winter coat [not needed in South Texas]. I'm taking that, gloves, and an extra wide/ear covering head band. So I think I"ll be good.

I can't concentrate on work today - better get busy calling people