Can I survive being casual on Transatlantic Queen Victoria?

uilleann

@CruiseNH: Isn't that an interesting question.

It's my opinion that Cunard needs to try to stay doing what its doing and hope its niche of the market replenishes itself. ...

I agree, and to nourish that replenishment Cunard must encourage the re-release every couple of years of the movie Titanic.

My husband and I will be on that cruise on our 25th wedding anniversary in queens grill. And I look forward to wear my beautiful evening gowns. That is why we chose Cunard. I am usually a jeans and t-shirt girl, but on Cunard I want to be a princess! My hubby wears a tuxedo like a second skin.

Can not wait to dance the night away..

Please do not spoil my trip. Stay in your room.

@CruiseNH: Isn't that an interesting question.

It's my opinion that Cunard needs to try to stay doing what its doing and hope its niche of the market replenishes itself. I think I understand the other side of the argument, but the second Cunard starts playing in the other ships' worlds, Cunard runs the risk of not being able to frame the discussion on its own terms. It then becomes a discussion not of what Cunard ships have, but rather what they are perceived to lack as compared to other ships. No water park. No crew members wandering about in Mouse or Sponge costumes.

Cunard might be then further drawn in to try to compete on other lines' terms. I have yet to voyage on Cunard, only having been so kindly encouraged by posters here just this week. So I'm not quite sure, but I would think that most of Cunard's current clientele could rather do without the Hairy Legs Contests.

Totally agree with you. I used to cruise with Regent Seven Seas and they have gone quite "casual" now and that is why I changed to Cunard. With regard to the OP comments about spending his working life in a suit and that is why he doesn't like doing it in his leisure time, I worked for 39 years in uniform (same difference) but I still like dressing up. Mind you, I am a woman so maybe that is the difference Just my personal thoughts.

Regards Pat

If you hated the required and common dress code on a Holland Amercia ship, you will hate the Cunard style even much more. The formality, regarding the dress code as well as the overall atmpshere is much higher on Cunard.

Do you really just want to "survive" while you endure a style and way of life, much loved by the vast majority of humans around you but hated by you?

I agree,

another point is, once the dress code is relaxed, where will it end ??

If relaxed to smart casual will there be pressure from some to relax it even further to just casual.

Will the MDR and other venues then be full of passengers wearing vest tops and jeans or shorts?

I'm just a normal working guy ( now retired ) who only ever dressed up for

weddings or funerals.

That is until I discovered cruising on Cunard ships.

I now love dressing up for the formal evenings and even wear a suit and tie on the smart casual evenings.

A cruise is a special event for myself and my BH, we love to escape from the day to day normality of life for a couple of weeks and enjoy the glamour of a Cunard cruise.

I have seen a few people on previous cruises who appeared to have just one set of clothes which I would class as gardening wear.

They were either making some sort of statement or oblivious to their surroundings.

It was the equivalent to walking into the Ritz wearing a string vest, flip flops and swim shorts.

Unless you have a phobia about flying I would suggest using that method of transport.

There are 2 airlines I know of who have cheap, one way, transatlantic

flights ( Iceland Air and Air Lingus ) but as an ex airline employee I'm sure you have an allowance of free air travel allocated to yourself and family.

Having read both the threads (HAL and Cunard ) by the OP, and also his comments on HAL, I can only hope hat he stays far away from any ship I am on.

He obviously is a s**b, he only wishes to wear jeans and T shirts, and wishes to drink out of a can at the table in the MDR ! Does he also wish to eat his French fries covered in ketchup with his fingers?

Lynn

Having read both the threads (HAL and Cunard ) by the OP, and also his comments on HAL, I can only hope hat he stays far away from any ship I am on.

He obviously is a s**b, he only wishes to wear jeans and T shirts, and wishes to drink out of a can at the table in the MDR ! Does he also wish to eat his French fries covered in ketchup with his fingers?

Lynn

And who are you to judge anyone"s behavior?

What's the difference between him taking his preferred drink into the dining room, the subject of the HAL thread, and someone who brings on a case of wine that isn't available on board? Absolutely none.

He came to this board looking for information about what would be available to him in the evening, accepting the fact his choices were limited as he intended not to follow the evening dress code,and making it clear (at least to me) that he didn't want to intrude on those who did. Why anyone would instead choose to suggest he use a different line, or worse, offer specific itineraries, is beyond my comprehension.

If it was nothing more than a wind up, he certainly hit the mother lode. The sad display of middle class pretensions is nothing but laughable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

About a month ago we finished a cruise on the MS Amsterdam. It was the perfect vacation except.... i hated the suit and tie on formal nights and the "smart casual" on other nights in the MDR. I wore a suit for a good portion of my career and hated it. My formal wear sits in plastic bags in the dark recesses of my closet. I find them, no matter how tailored they are, to be uncomfortable. And this world is getting Sooooo infested with rules of what others want you to do..... I just draw the line here.

Enough on that rant.

We are planning on going to England next year. I am also not a big fan of flying. Did that for 40 years.... Even as an USAF pilot. So I like trains now and maybe ships.

The question is .... Can I survive on the Queen Victoria if I am in my T shirt/ clean jeans/ and vest. That is my uniform of the day. Very comfortable. and its what I choose to wear. Can I eat at the Lido like this at all times? Are there other food venues that I can go to onboard. Will I be shot on site if I am walking the common areas of the ship during formal nights?

No Hissy Fits please.... Just the facts please.

As per plenty of others have said - one simple question, why? This is just a wind up, surely?

People judge other people's behavior all the time. In fact, you just judged Jimsgirl's behavior by declaring her post pretentious.

Not quite. If I were singling out an individual I would have said "Your..." and not "The..."

Edited by Im_Reading

There is a proverb "When in Rome do as the Romans do " this has been around for over 2000 years. This means follow the customs of the place you are in.

When the OP decided to book Cunard he knew the dress code, yet immediately starts to say "I am not going to follow the rules" as for carrying a can into the MDR and drinking from it rather than from a glass, what sort of low grade behavior is that?

Middle class pretentions! I was born in a miners house, that housed 7 people, all the men were unemployed. Orphaned at 3 , I moved to a dock yard slum in the East End of London,( Poplar, the scene for Call the Midwife on TV). Speech pattern that of My Fair Lady, privy out back, carry your own water to flush, cut up squares of newspaper for "wipes".

Just because you are born in the gutter you do not have to stay there with the flea, rats and rotting garbage .

The OP knows better but he is a reverse snob. He revels in being a sl*b. The waiter could give him a fork but he would still eat his fries with his fingers, just to give the others at the table "the bird"

I pay many $$$$ to cruise on QM2 ( as do others , indeed some pay three times the amount I pay) why should we have to put up with this man's bad attitude and coarse behavior?

At the risk of being flamed, all I can say is " you think his behavior is fine, well you can have him"

... Why anyone would instead choose to suggest he use a different line, or worse, offer specific itineraries, is beyond my comprehension.
Hi Im_Reading

Welcome to the Cunard board,

Being beyond an individual's comprehension, doesn't make something wrong, merely unintelligible to that individual. It could still be the correct answer, even if someone doesn't understand, or misses the point being made entirely.

And thank you for the advert at the end; iPads are two-a-penny these days, it isn't "clever" to show-off that someone owns one (and it can be turned off, looks less pretentious that way).

I note that the OP has "logged on" since his last post in this thread, but hasn't made further comment.

Happy sailings for the future on the line of your choice :)

With best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Although this thread may very well be a wind up, l don't think we should be too quick to judge.

QM2 is a mere transatlantic ferry which is what she was built for. Queen Victoria is a cruise ship.

I have no problem with anyone who wishes to 'do' their own thing aboard any Cunard ship. I have seen the worst dressed people on board QM2 on a crossing and have also seen the most elegant.

If the OP wishes to dress in such attire that has been stated then good luck..as it's his/her choice, but it must be said that such desired dress of an evening is not acceptable to most who do indeed enjoy the formality on board.

We pays our money and we takes our choice....live and let live.

Judy

Hi Im_Reading

Welcome to the Cunard board,

Being beyond an individual's comprehension, doesn't make something wrong, merely unintelligible to that individual. It could still be the correct answer, even if someone doesn't understand, or misses the point being made entirely.

And thank you for the advert at the end; iPads are two-a-penny these days, it isn't "clever" to show-off that someone owns one (and it can be turned off, looks less pretentious that way).

I note that the OP has "logged on" since his last post in this thread, but hasn't made further comment.

Happy sailings for the future on the line of your choice :)

With best wishes,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have only been using this app for a few days and was unaware that my posts were also being used as a billboard for the app maker.

And when will you be changing your avatar? Or are we to believe one of your given names is "2"? ;)

I can see my comments may rub the wrong way but I don't see why anyone would actively encourage someone to go away. If he said it was his intention to participate in the evening activities and entertainments in his jeans and t-shirt, some warning would be appropriate, but he didn't. He understood he was going to be eating dinner in the buffet, he just asked if there were other areas that were also open.

I've gone back and forth each year for several years, albeit on the QM2, not Victoria. I've never taken more than a messenger bag, a small suitcase, and a carryon. I've never taken a tie, much less a suit. I'm quite happy to spend the evening in my cabin eating dinner, reading a book, or watching a movie. Only twice over breakfast or lunch has someone from an adjoining table commented about my nightly absence and thought nothing about my answer of preferring to spend my evenings alone in my cabin. I'm quite sure no one else noticed me at all.

It can be done and it can be done unobtrusively.

Edited by Im_Reading

I cruised the QM2 on a 4 night Bahamas cruise back in 2008 and, as expected, she provided a very formal experience. My advice to the poster is if you want to sail on Cunard you will have to "play along" so that you may have access to all of the ship's amenities. I am also in the same boat as the poster so I can relate. For work I always dress up and I don't really want to do that on vacation however I am a ship enthusiast and I choose to sail on Cunard because I love passenger vessels. I keep seeing people asking those of us, non dressy people, why would we choose to sail on Cunard if we don't like to be formal. My reason is I love ships and I love the QM2! In any case ,I bit the bullet and will be doing a WB crossing in a few weeks and I realize I will have dress up each evening but I of course will do so since that is what is required to have full access to the vessel.

As the OP served in the armed forces, he's quite aware how to follow a dresscode*.

The dresscode says no jeans and jacket recquired after 18:00 in all public places except the buffet. There is not much more to say to the topic as everything else will not be according to the dresscode and make some of your other fellow passengers feel uncomfortable.

If you really want to stay in your cabin after 18:00 - imo you are missing most of the fun!

Wearing a jacket or suit is not torture, I am sure that your wife will like it!

*Imagine someone on a USAF base questioning the dresscode there.

Edited by Yoshikitty

I have a question as a first time cruiser, going on QV on Sunday. I am looking forward to the formal evenings and have a long dress for the occasions, but I want to ask about my husband's clothing.

Will a dark navy suit with white shirt and suitable tie be enough? We want to comply with the rules, but really didn't want to go and buy a black suit, given that we live in Jordan and no way would he ever wear it again (too hot and dusty).

I hope a navy suit complies with the rules. Can anyone advise?

Edited by Mayar
adding information

I have a question as a first time cruiser, going on QV on Sunday. I am looking forward to the formal evenings and have a long dress for the occasions, but I want to ask about my husband's clothing.

Will a dark navy suit with white shirt and suitable tie be enough? We want to comply with the rules, but really didn't want to go and buy a black suit, given that we live in Jordan and no way would he ever wear it again (too hot and dusty).

I hope a navy suit complies with the rules. Can anyone advise?

Yes, a dark suit and tie complies with the dress code.

Bon Voyage -S

I've gone back and forth each year for several years, albeit on the QM2, not Victoria. I've never taken more than a messenger bag, a small suitcase, and a carryon. I've never taken a tie, much less a suit. I'm quite happy to spend the evening in my cabin eating dinner, reading a book, or watching a movie. Only twice over breakfast or lunch has someone from an adjoining table commented about my nightly absence and thought nothing about my answer of preferring to spend my evenings alone in my cabin. I'm quite sure no one else noticed me at all.

It can be done and it can be done unobtrusively.

Why would someone from an adjoining table at breakfast or lunch comment about your nightly absence? If you've never used your reserved table for dinner they wouldn't recognise you.

Why would someone from an adjoining table at breakfast or lunch comment about your nightly absence? If you've never used your reserved table for dinner they wouldn't recognise you.
I may be wrong (apologies if I am :o ), but in the Grills someone would be missed in the evening if not at the table they had used twice before during that day?

You regularly advertise Flickr, whatever that is. And why do you assume that someone who neglects to turn off the I Pad add on is showing off?

Methinks you protest too much

Regards David.

Edited by balf

You regularly advertise Flicker, whatever that is. And why do you assume that someone who neglects to turn off the I Pad add on is showing off? Methinks you protest too much Regards David.
Thank you David for your comment :) .

The only negative thing I have about the automated iPad "ad" is that it reminds me of the early days of mobile 'phones. Whenever I was on a train or in a pub/bar, someone would, in the loudest voice possible, let us all know that he had one. When iPads were rare, reading the strap-line simply reminded me of that period, years back. Now they are given away free with newspapers etc, it looks even more "showy" to my eyes. Most people I know that have one, have it turned off.

Best wishes to you.

Sent from my computer using a keyboard ;) :)

Edited by pepperrn