Advice on Canary Islands Cruise

Whilst waiting for my review on recent cruise to appear, have been checking prices for next year. Considering the new Western Med itinerary - Med Secrets - in June, but note prices have increased by around £200. Also, we prefer a Cruise and Stay 10 day holiday, and would like to stay at same hotel in 2015, Santa Lucia in Palmanova, but it would appear the minimum stay has been increased to 7 nights. - presumably due to extra housekeeping involved in short stays? - that would incur extra expenditure of around £350-£400.

Alternately, have always fancied doing a Canary Islands Cruise, but note the latest date for sailing on Majesty is April 10th. I remember two friends who did the Canaries in March and April respectively, and had very poor weather.

Is the weather usually poor at that time of year, or were they just unlucky?

Also, having only sailed on the Dream from Thomsons fleet, which I absolutely love, how does the Majesty compare - cabins, for example - we have always booked an Outside Plus on the Dream, and wouldn't enjoy a cramped cabin.

Any advice would be welcome.

Whilst waiting for my review on recent cruise to appear, have been checking prices for next year. Considering the new Western Med itinerary - Med Secrets - in June, but note prices have increased by around £200. Also, we prefer a Cruise and Stay 10 day holiday, and would like to stay at same hotel in 2015, Santa Lucia in Palmanova, but it would appear the minimum stay has been increased to 7 nights. - presumably due to extra housekeeping involved in short stays? - that would incur extra expenditure of around £350-£400.

Alternately, have always fancied doing a Canary Islands Cruise, but note the latest date for sailing on Majesty is April 10th. I remember two friends who did the Canaries in March and April respectively, and had very poor weather.

Is the weather usually poor at that time of year, or were they just unlucky?

Also, having only sailed on the Dream from Thomsons fleet, which I absolutely love, how does the Majesty compare - cabins, for example - we have always booked an Outside Plus on the Dream, and wouldn't enjoy a cramped cabin.

Hi Ginjoli

Had noticed quite a marked increase in prices for 2015

We were always Dreamers until this year when we went on the Maj,really enjoyed it.Like you always had an outside plus on the Dream so you`ll need a least an outside plus on the Maj but dont expect the cabin to be near the same size as an outside plus on the Dream,it ain`t but its big enough,well it was for us

Ps,we booked an outside plus(4 berth) on the Maj and kinda glad we did as we had a wee peek at the outside plus(twins/doubles)and they are a lot smaller(rearrange- swing cant a cat) than the 4 berths

Cant help with the Canaries

Edited by Jim The Scot

Regarding the ship - we have been on the Dream twice then booked a last minute cruise on the Majesty in April - we were amazed to find that we far preferred the Majesty. We now wish we were booked on the Majesty for our next cruise in November rather than on the Dream again.

As for the Western Med cruise with a 3 night short stay in Palma Nova - couldn't you book Cruise Only and arrange your own flights plus a 3 night stay at the Santa Lucia (booking.com are great for good value hotel deals). Even allowing for taxi fares from the airport to the port, port to the hotel and hotel back to airport this could cost considerably less than a Thomson package.

Edited by campolady

Many thanks Jim the Scot and Campolady for your helpful advice on Majesty - I must admit I would really miss the spacious Outside Plus cabins on the Dream - we particularly like having a sofa, armchair and the occasional tables which are really useful and give the feeling of a 'separate' seating area.

However, we have now done six Western Med cruises in the past nine years, (also one Eastern Med) and as I said, would really like to do a Canary Islands cruise if we could be sure of decent weather.

I was interested to read, Campolady, that you actually preferred Majesty to the Dream, so she must be o.k.!! - Incidentally, thought about you when in Palmanova, remembering your earlier post, and wondered if you and your husband had been able to find a new home on the Costa del Sol. As mentioned in my review (which to date has not appeared), I really appreciated your advice whilst in the stunning Andalucía region. - I can so understand what a wrench it will be to leave.

I look forward to some feedback on the Canary Islands cruise and the weather we can expect. Must admit I'd rather go in the summer, - have briefly looked on the P&O website and found a 12 day cruise to the Canaries and Madiera in June for around £2,700 with a balcony, on Azura (more or less same price as 14 days Cruise and Stay on Dream at approx. same time)

The ship looks great, but its so much larger than the Dream, and I doubt it would offer the personal, friendly ambience of the Thomsons ships. Ah.....decisions decisions!! I know I would find it very difficult to prise myself away from my much-loved Dream.

Sorry, forgot to mention, Campolady, have already looked at booking accommodation at the Santa Lucia separately, but when I clicked on 3 nights stay, keeps coming up not available, so I presume hotel has stopped offering short stays from 2015.

Thanks for the suggestion.