Coral World - St Thomas

Anyone been there? We are a family of four and was just wondering if it was worth doing? The taxi ride alone to and from port would be more than the admission if I am reading correctly online that it is $9 per person for taxi each way. Would appreciate any input. My daughters are 3 and 10. Just trying to find something to do besides going to beach. We are going to be out in the sun enough at Coco Cay and on board at the pools. Thanks!!!!

We did the coral world and beach excursion. It was nice. I think your kids will enjoy it.

The beach was beautiful and we just walked way down on the left for shade and very few people. I brought my own raft, put it in a bag, left it on the bus when we were at Coral world then blew it up at the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went on our own last year to save money over the ship's excursion. Our kids (9 and 8 at the time) enjoyed it. We also spent a bit of time at the adjacent beach afterwards, which is really beautiful.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We went on our own too. Really enjoyed it, and Coki Beach next door. We used the lockers at Coral World. Did not see any for the beach itself. It really a simple thing to just grab a cab and the pier to go there. You can even set up a time to meet the same cabby, to go home. The driver seemed eager to do so. It worked out well, and we tipped nicely, for the convenience of that.

Be aware, Coral World closes fairly early, depending on the time of year, and our ship was leaving a little later. So while we were relaxing on the beach with time to spare, I almost forgot to go reclaim our belongings (wallet, purse, ship cards etc) from the locker, until just minutes before they would have locked the gate to Coral World. We would have been in a real mess, if that had happened.

Edited by Gayle V

I would take the excursion. We went last year on RCI Oasis and did not. The taxi area there is crazy. The taxis are mostly hodge-podge pickup trucks with seats added to the back. The ride is just as crazy. We paid $10 PP each way. Coki beach was $35 for two beach chairs and an umbrella. The beach was crowded but very beautiful. We snorkeled towards Coral World and it was great. For peace of mind take the excursion, especially with small children.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What was the problem?

Hi Dacsmom,

Last November we were on the Oasis of the Seas and booked the tour to Coral world. We had 2 vans to bring us there. Really enjoyed Coral World. Our driver was told to pick us up on ship time. We went to wait for our driver at the time he was supposed to pick us up but he never showed up. There was 15 of us that were stranded. Half hour later still no driver and they were closing Coral World. There was one Taxi left and there was a guy talking to him so I walked over there and told him that our driver Joe never came to pick us up so he new the driver and called him to see where he was but the driver never answered the phone. The taxi driver that was there only had one passenger on board and was going back to the Carnival Dream, he asked what ship we were on and told him we were on the Oasis and he said he would bring us back but just needed to drop the other person off first said no problem and I called to everyone and said that I got a ride back to the ship. The Driver that rescued us was from Godfrey Tours and he never asked for a full fair and we thanked him and gave him the money that we would have given the other driver. When we got back to the ship I went straight to the Concierge Lounge and told them what had happened and they contacted the excursion director which I went to talk to and told him the whole thing. Then he asked me to try and find others that were on the excursion which I thought was strange when they could just look it up on their computer, I did find one couple and told them about my talk with the excursion director and they were able to get a some credit to their bill. I did find someone from the other van and found out their driver came and picked them up.

Wendy