Everglades National Park from Port of Miami

jcaz14

We will be getting off our cruise the first week of October at Port of Miami. We will be renting a car and are planning to see "The Everglades" as we have never been to South Florida and have 1 1/2 days before our flight leaves from FLL. We'll be staying one night in Miami.

Locals and experts unite...... I need your assistance.

I have read Tripadvisor, and searched CC, but wondered what my CC friends specifically suggest. A lot of the options seem pretty "tourist trapish." It's just my hubby and me- 40 somethings- and nothing too spendy- dang budget!

Lastly, I'm from the West and not used to toll roads. In that neck of the woods, what can I expect? When we were in Orlando area and I just kept plenty of singles and quarters on hand.

Thanks!!

We will be getting off our cruise the first week of October at Port of Miami. We will be renting a car and are planning to see "The Everglades" as we have never been to South Florida and have 1 1/2 days before our flight leaves from FLL. We'll be staying one night in Miami.

Locals and experts unite...... I need your assistance.

I have read Tripadvisor, and searched CC, but wondered what my CC friends specifically suggest. A lot of the options seem pretty "tourist trapish." It's just my hubby and me- 40 somethings- and nothing too spendy- dang budget!

Lastly, I'm from the West and not used to toll roads. In that neck of the woods, what can I expect? When we were in Orlando area and I just kept plenty of singles and quarters on hand.

Thanks!!

Check out the National Park website (http://www.nps.gov/ever/). It is very accessible via car from Miami and only costs $10 per vehicle. There are two great viewing areas and you will have to chose one since doing both in a single day would probably be difficult timewise.

At the south end of the park (about 15 minutes southwest of the end of the Florida Turnpike) is the Ernest Coe Visitors Center and the Royal Palm area is another 5 minutes past it. In the dry season (winter) Royal Palm has lots and lots of alligators, birds, and fish. There is a very nice boardwalk of about 1 - 1 1/2 miles and another trail. You can then follow the road about 35 miles to Flamingo (the end of the trail) on the coast of Florida Bay. They have a wonderful (additional fee) boat ride into the back country. We saw American crocodiles, dolphins, alligators and lots of birds on our trip.

Further north and possibly closer to downtown Miami (along the Tamiami Trail) is Shark Valley. There is a 15 mile paved loop that can be walked (all or just a short part), biked (they rent bikes) or seen via guided tram (about a 2 hour ride, extra fee, reservations recommended). We've seen baby (less than a foot long) alligators each time we've gone to Shark Valley.

In both places you need to remember that the alligators are real and wild because they like to sun on the paved paths. Give them room and remember they aren't animatronics! :D

Regarding tolls - the Turnpike is a toll road. Easiest thing is if you are renting a car make sure it has a Sunpass.

Thanks to both of you!

Would you recommend one viewing area over the other? I have been to the website and both sound just like what we're looking for.

Concerning the tolls: we are renting from Budget. I went to the Sunpass website, sounds like it would just be in the car, then they just take a pic of the license plate and bill Budget. Sounds easy enough.

Thanks again!

Thanks to both of you!

Would you recommend one viewing area over the other? I have been to the website and both sound just like what we're looking for.

Thanks again!

My favorite would be a day trip that included the Ernest Coe Visitors Center (maybe 1/2 hour - watch the movie), Royal Palm (an hour or more) and Flamingo (the afternoon). The only additional price (if desired) on that is the boat ride at Flamingo which I really recommend (there are actually two boat rides if I remember correctly - we haven't done the one in Florida Bay; that will be next trip).

When you get off the route 1 and and are following the signs to the park entrance you will pass a south Florida institution: Robert is Here. It is a farm stand that has wonderful milk shakes. My favorite is the key lime shake. It isn't cheap but it will fill you up like an entire meal :o.

I just re-read your initial post and saw that your trip is in early October. That is still the wet season so not prime viewing for the wildlife that congregates around the waterholes in the dry season. You will still see wildlife just not as much as you would a few months later. Wear sunscreen and I would bring bug repellent just in case (we've been to Royal Palm in mid October and didn't need it but you never know).

Edited by capriccio

Thanks Capriccio- Sounds perfect! That is so helpful!

Yep, I read that October is not the best time to visit, but it's when we're there, so we'll give it a shot & hope for the best. If I see one alligator, it's more than I've ever seen! I see plenty of roadrunners & coyotes- go figure, not many gators in AZ.

I just looked up Robert Is Here. Love the story! Unfortunately, it looks like they are closed in October. BUMMER! The key-lime milk shake sounds fantastic! Good to know for the future, though. Thanks again for your response!

Thanks Capriccio- Sounds perfect! That is so helpful!

Yep, I read that October is not the best time to visit, but it's when we're there, so we'll give it a shot & hope for the best. If I see one alligator, it's more than I've ever seen! I see plenty of roadrunners & coyotes- go figure, not many gators in AZ.

I just looked up Robert Is Here. Love the story! Unfortunately, it looks like they are closed in October. BUMMER! The key-lime milk shake sounds fantastic! Good to know for the future, though. Thanks again for your response!

Too bad about Robert Is Here - I had forgotten that they closed in October.

I hope you have a wonderful time. I have traveled extensively both in the states and abroad and it is one of my favorite places -- it is unlike anywhere else I have ever visited.

Instead of the Everglades, have you thought about a day trip to Key Largo? The topography of the keys is pretty similar except the ocean water is spectacular.

You can book a snorkel trip at John Pennekamp and lunch at Alabama Jacks and it will really make your trip.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBtydujOZWLbKzyY5_6_o243kT1bVvKo92bXisGayQxukbZbXw

Instead of the Everglades, have you thought about a day trip to Key Largo? The topography of the keys is pretty similar except the ocean water is spectacular.

You can book a snorkel trip at John Pennekamp and lunch at Alabama Jacks and it will really make your trip.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBtydujOZWLbKzyY5_6_o243kT1bVvKo92bXisGayQxukbZbXw

Hi BlueHerons, do you have any info on doing a day trip to Key Largo if you don't want to rent a car? Are there any tours from Miami? I will be there at the end of Nov for three days, before a cruise on the Eclipse. Thank you

Hi BlueHerons, do you have any info on doing a day trip to Key Largo if you don't want to rent a car? Are there any tours from Miami? I will be there at the end of Nov for three days, before a cruise on the Eclipse. Thank you

http://www.MiamiBeach411.com has a day trip to Key West but I don't know of any day trips to Key Largo. Did you google anything? I'm sure someone does this. Check with some dive shops.