Elation & Passport questions

2funcruzin

So it's been a couple of years since we sailed & we although we have our passports our friends do not. What EXACTLY will they need for identification for both them & their children?

Also, what's the rumors with Elation 2.0? When is this supposed to happen & what type of changes can we expect?

Thanks everyone! :D:D

Always check with Carnival but when we've taken folks that don't have passports they needed a official Birth Certificate (raised seal etc) and drivers license. Copies aren't accepted. Must be one issued from your county seat.

One friend who was married, needed to bring her marriage cert. also since her name was different than Birth cert.

So it's been a couple of years since we sailed & we although we have our passports our friends do not. What EXACTLY will they need for identification for both them & their children?

Also, what's the rumors with Elation 2.0? When is this supposed to happen & what type of changes can we expect?

Thanks everyone! :D:D

Presuming they are US citizens those 16 and over need a government issued birth certificate and a government issued photo ID, under 16 they just need a government issued birth certificate. CCL will accept good quality copies of birth certificates but it's best to have the original.

For the adults they need a government issued photo id (DL) and an official birth certificate (not the hospital copy), and the woman should also bring the marriage license as a bridge document between her maiden name and her married name.

For the kids over 16 the need a government issued photo id and a birth certificate. Under 16 just needs the birth certificate.

If the kids have a different last name than the mom, then she will need to bring a notarized letter from the kids dad permitting her to travel out of the country with the kids.

Make sure that everyone's name on their booking is their complete legal name, matches exactly their photo id's and BC, spelled correctly and not using any nicknames.

I go by Janey, but my legal name is Beverly Jane, so that's what is on my booking and my S&S card has me as Beverly and that's what I'm called on the ship.

Sometimes people think that they have a valid birth certificate.

And what they actually have is a hospital birth certificate.

My DH made it through 50 years not knowing that he had never had an official birth certificate.

He went all through school with that hospital birth certificate.

He had to go down to the Health Department and get an official birth certificate with a raised seal.

When I got my passport they said that my birth certificate was too small.

I had to order a new one by mail.

It took six weeks to get it.

I guess if I had been needing that birth certificate right away I would have had to drive 900 miles. And then another 900 back home.

Just saying that folks might want to check their birth certificate asap.

Not all states have a "raised seal" The important wording is official birth certificate. And yes copies are acceptable. Just got my 82 year old mother a copy from vital statistic so she can apply for her passport.

Not all states have a "raised seal" The important wording is official birth certificate. And yes copies are acceptable. Just got my 82 year old mother a copy from vital statistic so she can apply for her passport.

You are talking about an official copy of a birth certificate. Its not the same thing as making a xerox copy of one and trying to use it to get on board.

You are talking about an official copy of a birth certificate. Its not the same thing as making a xerox copy of one and trying to use it to get on board.

That's exactly what I presented when I boarded the Pride just because there was so much controversy on here about it. No one batted an eye at it and yes, it was an obvious photocopy. As I said before, it is best to bring the original but it is nice to know what the options are (the DHS regulations do allow travel on an "original or copy" of a birth certificate).

That's exactly what I presented when I boarded the Pride just because there was so much controversy on here about it. No one batted an eye at it and yes, it was an obvious photocopy. As I said before, it is best to bring the original but it is nice to know what the options are (the DHS regulations do allow travel on an "original or copy" of a birth certificate).

Thanks for confirming that.

"One friend who was married, needed to bring her marriage cert. also since her name was different than Birth cert."

Did she actually have to show it. I always question the need for a marriage license since you have to show that to get a driver's license. Then that becomes a legal document that your married name is now different than your birth certificate. Same with a passport. Has anyone actually been asked to show a marriage license? I've seen many postings on here where women take them but have never been asked to show them. I have never seen where somebody had to show it.

Edited by RWolver672

"One friend who was married, needed to bring her marriage cert. also since her name was different than Birth cert."

Did she actually have to show it. I always question the need for a marriage license since you have to show that to get a driver's license. Then that becomes a legal document that your married name is now different than your birth certificate. Same with a passport. Has anyone actually been asked to show a marriage license? I've seen many postings on here where women take them but have never been asked to show them. I have never seen where somebody had to show it.

We've always brought it and CCL was the only one that asked if we had it, after making sure to tell us that it wouldn't change anything if we didn't have it. I look at it as more of a "better have it and not need it" than because it is required.

I just returned from my 5th Elation cruise on June 28th and I saw lots of people using birth certificates and driver's licenses. It took them a little longer to clear customs than it did for me with my passport but that was the only difference I noticed.

I sailed Carnival for about 5 years with a BC and DL and never had any issues. AND, never had to show my marriage certificate. My BC was the original so I think to be on the safe side I would order an "official" copy from the state.

I used to have nightmares about getting to port without my ID but those went away once I got my passport!

I sailed Carnival for about 5 years with a BC and DL and never had any issues. AND, never had to show my marriage certificate. My BC was the original so I think to be on the safe side I would order an "official" copy from the state.

I used to have nightmares about getting to port without my ID but those went away once I got my passport!

Don't want to trigger the nightmares but passports can be forgotten/lost/stolen just as easy as any other document:eek:.

Always check with Carnival but when we've taken folks that don't have passports they needed a official Birth Certificate (raised seal etc) and drivers license. Copies aren't accepted. Must be one issued from your county seat.

One friend who was married, needed to bring her marriage cert. also since her name was different than Birth cert.

Not true. Per Carnival's policy, xerox copies of birth certificates ARE acceptable.

Xerox copies are acceptable. Does not have to be an official copy.

I know the last Elation sailing is on Sept. 20 and she goes into Dry Dock after her return on Sept. 25.

I am hoping she will have various upgrades to match other ships in the Fantasy class.

But I do not know for a fact any specifics. I understand from reading so many negative reviews, she is in bad need of some upgrading/facelifts!

I booked a last minute cruise on her next week - July 12th and now am dreading see the ship! Hoping to have fun on her anyway:)

I know the last Elation sailing is on Sept. 20 and she goes into Dry Dock after her return on Sept. 25.

I am hoping she will have various upgrades to match other ships in the Fantasy class.

But I do not know for a fact any specifics. I understand from reading so many negative reviews, she is in bad need of some upgrading/facelifts!

I booked a last minute cruise on her next week - July 12th and now am dreading see the ship! Hoping to have fun on her anyway:)

I hope so too! Enjoy your cruise. Even if she needs upgrades you will still be on a cruise so I'm jealous! :p