What do people wear on Alaska Cruises?

the admiral12

I leave on the Island Princess this week, which will be my 10th cruise but my first Alaskan cruise.

I have seen posts about super casual wear on Alaskan cruises.

Is it that much different than a regular cruise? Is formal night still coat and tie?

Should I just pack jeans and shirts?

and be sure to dress in layers! and bring rain gear and a pair of extra shoes. On my Alaska cruises we had sunshine all days! but, being in a rain forest, rain is the norm. We were told on our first cruise by our Captain how lucky and rare our weather was. Usually 10% sun! is what he stated. Anyway, all types of clothes for an Alaska cruise.

Layers is the key, and a light rain jacket is good as well as a travel umbrella for ports. Never know when you might encounter rain. On deck while cruising it can be chilly - particularly in the evenings and definitely when cruising something like Glacier Bay. In ports I've worn shorts and short sleeve shirts, you just never know. For example, in Skagway in 2011 we encountered sun and 80 degree temperatures. In 2012 it was cold and rainy when we went. For the MDR, it's like any other cruise I've been on, from what we've seen.

In Alaska we do dress in layers knowing that the temperature can vary.

But on the ship we dress just we would on any other cruise.

People still do dress up for formal nights but not as fancy as on the longer cruises and Med cruises and even the Caribbean cruises.