Disappointed by Norwegian

stanw

I totally realize it's not the Golden Gate Bridge, but you will sail under the Megler Bridge going into Astoria. Small consolation prize, but... something? Maybe it'll even have the fog.

Actually in Astoria, you do not go under the Megler Bridge anymore. The cruise ships now use the piers off Hamburg Avenue west of the bridge.

I would be very disappointed too, and I'm sorry that it's this way for you. But, as others have said, I'm sure this is completely out of NCL's control and they are doing the best they can to deal with it. At least they gave you plenty of advance warning.

I know you're disappointed. As an amateur photographer, I'm disappointed when I lose great opps like that.

BUT, at least you lost it well in advance to a technical issue! As a native CA who has been visiting SF all my life, I can tell you that even if you went to SF you might have missed it: depending on the fog, it's sometimes completely obscured! Seriously, you can't see it till you're going under it.

I know you're from OR, but Astoria is lovely. Try to have fun anyway!!

We haven't received an email about the itinerary change. Port of San Francisco still showed the Sun there for Oct. 1st, port of Astoria didn't show the Sun.

What the heck is going on? They should keep us posted.

I am trying to negotiate a deal right now. I will let you know what happens!

I called NCL, no word about the itinerary change. It is still showing up as a stop in San Francisco on the system. We still haven't received an email either. So who knows on that one.

I did get a $400 price drop though for my gty balcony. It was already pretty cheap, now really cheap. That makes me happy! I lost the coupon book, which is useless anyway.

I understand your disappointment but Astoria is kind of a cool little town. The Flavel House is a beautifully restored old mansion, the Maritime Museum is one of the best on the West Coast, the small downtown area is charming with a fabulous old theater, and Josephson's Smokehouse has the best lox I've ever eaten. It's not San Francisco but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Just got my email from Norwegian that our Sept. 29,2014 Pacific Coast cruise will NOT include a stop in San Francisco. Instead we will be stopping in(hold your breath) Astoria, Oregon. I had a suite on the front of the boat just to be able to see the Goldengate Bridge and pffft, gone up in smoke. NCL says it is a berthing issue. Seems a company that size would know well in advance of this issue. I'll be suggesting to folks they try another cruise line that has a clue.

SHIP not BOAT! :p NCL will only know there is an issue when they are informed of it by the local authorities. Not trying to kick your cat here at all but if you suggest people go elsewhere because of this you will end up looking pretty silly.

Having been to both Astoria and San Francisco, I have to say that there isn't too much of a comparison. But, Astoria is the best thing about Oregon. Mikey's house is there. You can see the goon docks! Growing up in the 80's the Goonies was the first movie I was obsessed with and to see so much of it in real life was awesome. Plus there were numerous movies filmed in Astoria, if you are a movie buff it's quite the little town.

We too are on that cruise. We have a group of 7 ladies celebrating a friend's birthday. We are all big Disney fanatics so our priority was San Francisco for the Walt Disney Family Museum. I understand that issues can arise out of NCL controls but we will be looking at other options. Out of our group of 7, only one person has even gotten the email about the change. They should have notified everyone.

BTW - Thanks to earlier poster on the heads up on pricing.

No offence intended to those who love Astoria but this would be a deal breaker for me. We've done the pacific coastal twice now, once on Star where we missed Astoria due to weather, and last fall on Jewel. I believe it was a Sunday that we were in Astoria and many shops didn't open. We basically wandered around, had a local craft beer at a bar on the waterfront, went to another place for lunch and headed back to the ship. The locals were largely disinterested in capitalizing on the influx of that many tourists on one of the few days annually when the cruise ships come in. The exception was the local vendors at the pier (who were great!) which was honestly the most interesting thing our group came across all day and we don't even love to shop.

San Francisco on the other hand was an absolute highlight both times and last year in fact was a once in a lifetime stroke of luck as we watched the America's Cup final from our aft balcony. Even without that though there's just no comparison.

For our group, if we were past final payment we'd make the best of it and not sweat it but if not, we'd for sure cancel and book on the other ship or skip it entirely. That's just us. Ymmv.

And yes I know ports are never a sure thing on a cruise ship. Have missed several over the years but, itinerary is important to us and if we know in advance there's zero chance we're making the port we'd especially like to see, we're out.

Edited by goodml

I am on this cruise as well. When I got the email back on the 30th I was kind of bummed because I have family in the Bay area and we were planning on hooking up for lunch. My friend who is traveling with me didn't care either way. Then we found out about all the brew pubs in Astoria - well it may be a small community but I am sure by the time we sample a few of the local brews we won't really care. And anyway this was a cruise my late husband and I had talked about because it would give us a chance to see the Pacific coast from a different perspective.

Aweninaz the itinerary that was included in the email did show 2 sea days between Astoria and LA.

I have never considered a cruise a way to see much of any port. It really isn't the ideal way to travel to have an indepth look at an area. Land travel is the only way to really see anything. I think it is funny when folks think they have seen and done everything on the short port stops :rolleyes:

So I wasn't too upset that San Francisco was dropped, it was a short day anyway, 11-8, which really means 11:30 to probably 6pm. You can only hit a couple of highlights in that time. I have never been to San Francisco, and I was looking forward to the port. One these days hubby and I will take a proper vacation there, maybe next spring. Then we will be able to see things at our leisure.

Small islands are fine for a short visit. Culturally rich cities need more time.

So I am fine with the change. It is a bonus that I got the big price drop.

We will be on the ship following week on the Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise. The two at sea days just before it starts will give us time to recharge our batteries before the week long party starts!

Just got my email from Norwegian that our Sept. 29,2014 Pacific Coast cruise will NOT include a stop in San Francisco. Instead we will be stopping in(hold your breath) Astoria, Oregon. I had a suite on the front of the boat just to be able to see the Goldengate Bridge and pffft, gone up in smoke. NCL says it is a berthing issue. Seems a company that size would know well in advance of this issue. I'll be suggesting to folks they try another cruise line that has a clue.

I understand your disappointment, but please let me know if you find a cruise line that hasn't done something like this to their passengers. I have had RCCL change our itinerary and give us an extra sea day (we already had 5 sea days) and we didn't get anything for our loss of a port that I was extremely excited about.

I've read of Princess and Carnival doing it as well.

Did NCL offer any options or an OBC? When our last itinerary changed, they offered to allow us to change sailings or stay with an OBC as an apology and our change happened over a year out.

Oh, that's a bummer. I did the Pacific Coastal on the Jewel last September and luckily, we made all of the ports. I was worried we'd have to miss Astoria because of weather, but thankfully we didn't. San Francisco was an amazing port, I'd be devastated if I missed it. :(

I am really bummed we are missing SF but will make the best of the switch. I hope after it is officially changed on their website that we can get a small OBC. We had friends meeting us at the port that we won't get to see now.

I am really bummed we are missing SF but will make the best of the switch. I hope after it is officially changed on their website that we can get a small OBC. We had friends meeting us at the port that we won't get to see now.

Hey!! Me, too!

Seriously, if anyone gets anything good out of this change, please post here.