Cash in ports?

PattyCruiser2013

I thought I read somewhere that some places in some of the ports only accept cash?

For Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan - do many of the paces accept debit or credit cards? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As someone who lives in Alaska, I can only observe that Alaska is part of the United States, and credit cards are as widely accepted here as they are in the other 49 states.

Thank you, everyone. :) Yes, I know Alaska is part of the U.S.! :p

So, now it seems like a silly question to ask. BUT, I did read somewhere that "cash only" accepted and I can't remember where that was, so I was questioning where/why so we are prepared. Maybe it was the street carts. Maybe also about taking the Blue Bus in Juneau or elsewhere? or maybe at a vendor on an excursion. There are quite a few places, even in the U.S., that still take "cash only".

thanks again for the feedback!

What sort of places are you playing to spend money? Everything but street carts take cards. Just like everywhere else in the US, few Alaskans use cash much anymore. And if you need cash, there's ATM's.

That may be true in Juneau but in the rest of Alaska, where ATM's can be few and far between, many Alaskan's still use cash. I've noticed a trend among people that I know and deal with that credit cards are no longer in vogue. I usually keep at least $500 cash in my pocket to take advantage of those "deals" that just come up.

We just did the Northbound out of Vancouver a few weeks ago and the only place that asked for cash was the local bus tour in Ketchikan. Other than that we had no issues whatsoever. There were also were plenty of ATMs. The only caution I would have is that several tour operators did not take American Express so if that is your card of choice I would take a backup.