Day Tours in Rome?

Novanahant

We are arriving in Rome on Oct 6th for sailing on Oct. 8th. We have the entire day Oct 7th free and are looking for advice on tours available. I've checked out various threads but can't really find anything that you can just sign up for, like you usually find at the hotel desks. We didn't want to wait until we got to Rome to book since we'd hate to end up with nothing. I've used various bus tours out of Florence, so I think they must have a counterpart in Rome. I just can't find them.

Any suggestions would be appreciate.

Mille Grazie!

Do you have need of a tour? The central part of Rome is very walkable, with many places a big bus can't access. You have tons of time before you sail to research what you'd like to see--you can easily plan your own itinerary and see everything that's important to you.

Full disclosure: Viator is just a middleman. Not that I've noticed much of a price difference, but I think it's better to find out the actual vendor so you can look for reviews.

To the OP: I have NOT had good luck with Viator tours in Rome. One tour was cancelled with no notice (I didn't find out until I arrived at the meeting point); one was a group of three different languages so that the guide had to repeat everything three times.

Rome is best seen on foot rather than on a bus tour. Some tour providers in Rome that I can recommend are:

Enjoy Rome provides good basic tours for those who just want a brief introduction to Rome: http://www.enjoyrome.com/walking/index.html

Context Tours provides small group tours that go a little deeper in terms of Rome's art or archeology or history (depending on the tour). They are my favorite tour provider in Rome, but perhaps not ideal for those who only want basic-level info: http://www.contexttravel.com/city/rome

As Cathy says, Rome is also a rewarding place to sightsee on your own with a good guidebook.

(And I'm pretty sure nearly all hotels do offer those bus tours. But I'd view them as a last resort...)

If you are looking for a private tour there are many to choose from.

My own view and some do not disagree with me that if this is your first time in Rome, and you only have the day, take a tour. It will save you time and if you do a private tour you can see more than on a group tour.

Keith

We did the golf cart tour of Rome with http://www.golf-cart-tour-rome.com/ and it was worth every $$$. We saw more places than regular bus tours or car tours because Roberto was able to drive through small streets and gave us lot of history.... Party of 10 cost us 650 Euros included the guide for Vatican. I think you need 2 days to see Rome. He does party of 4 for 450 Euros for 7 hrs.

Highly recommend this tour, especially when Rome is very hot and you don't have walk a lot!!!!

We just returned from our Med cruise last week. When in Rome we went with Rome Connection. We booked with Marco the owner and couldn't have been happier with our experience. He made lines at the Vatican disappear for us and protected us from rude and pushy tourists in the Vatican. He took us to some great places for some fantastic views

of the sites so we could have a better understanding of what we were about to see close up. My mom was with us and she has mobility issues and Marco got her as close as he could to the sites to minimize her walking in the summer heat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums