Manaus Hotels and transportation

R. Harvey

We'll be sailing from Manaus in November and looking for a hotel for the night before. Seabourn wants a lot of money for their hotel/trans package and we're looking for information and recommendations for both the hotel and transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship.

Thanks,

R. Harvey

The hotel that Seabourn used this year was the Tropical. It's very close to the airport and a bit of a drive to the dock. We had Seabourn Air so had a half day wait there after we disembarked. I don't know what the weather will be in November, but there is limited public space with A/C, although I'm sure the guest rooms have A/C. (We got a good deal on business air Seabourn air and it included all the meals while waiting in Buenos Aires and Manaus plus the transfers plus we were traveling in February/March and we happy to have the security as we ended up traveling in the midst of a terrible period of winter weather in the US).

I know Seabourn charges way too much for the pre and post cruise hotels. I think you could find one on your own. Look in the area of the Tropical along that stretch of the Rio Negro. It seems to be where the better lodging is.

We started a cruise from Manaus a year plus ago and instead of taking the SB hotel - various online reviews were not favorable about Tropical so instead opted for a "top rated" Trip Advisor B&B. Well, we were very glad we missed the first of 2 nights there - due to connection issues w/ AA - as there was not much to like about that B&B, except for the folks who work there, who were lovely. The room was DIRTY, NOISY, SPARTAN, and more of what I'd image a jail cell w/ a private bath to be than a place I'd want to spend more time than absolutely necessary in. The included breakfast the next day was not worth walking down the stairs for. Long story short, I don't believe there are any 2 star or better places, so the Tropical in hindsight - from what folks who stayed there told us - is probably the best bet. To save a few $ book it yourself, there are independent car services you can use.