British Airways Baggage Allowance

High C's

I posted this question on the Europe Board, but then I thought this would actually be the best place to get some answers!

I note on the BA website that the "intercontinental" flights allow each passenger to check 2 pieces of luggage. HOWEVER, the "domestic" flights (within Europe) only allow 1 piece per passenger. Oh oh!

I had planned on bringing a total of 3 checked bags between the two of us. We are flying Toronto to London return, but have an extended stay in Britain at each end, so none of our bags will be "through checked".

Help!:eek:

If all the connecting flights -- including internal in Europe with stays -- are booked on a single international ticket with different coupons for each flight segment, most likely the international baggage rules will apply to all segments. Best to get it clarified from BA /Sultan

I had planned on bringing a total of 3 checked bags between the two of us. We are flying Toronto to London return' date=' but have an extended stay in Britain at each end, so none of our bags will be "through checked".

Help!:eek:[/quote']

You don't say on your extended stay are you flying within Britain?

If you are just flying YYZ-LHR-YYZ you are ok but if you fly from London to Manchester or elswhere in Britain then the Domestic weight applies.

I note on the BA website that the "intercontinental" flights allow each passenger to check 2 pieces of luggage. HOWEVER' date=' the "domestic" flights (within Europe) only allow 1 piece per passenger. Oh oh![/quote']Bruin Steve has given you the correct answer in your other thread.

So the key question is whether you are travelling on the same ticket (not just the same booking) on the European flights as on your trans-Atlantic sectors. The ticket number is the key - this will be a 13-digit number, probably starting 125 (for BA-issued tickets).

Another key question is whether you are flying UK Domestic, or European. UK Domestic is one piece, but European is 23 kg (= 50 lbs) per person in economy with a higher allowance in business class.

Are the domestic/regional flights to and from your cruise? If they aren't, then there are good baggage storage facilities at both Heathrow and Gatwick where you could leave the baggage that you don't need.

Thank you everyone for your quick replies!

Globaliser, can you tell me if one ticket will be possible based on the following itinerary:

Thursday - depart Toronto

Friday - arrive Heathrow - transfer to Gatwick

Friday - Gatwick to Aberdeen

Monday - Aberdeen to Gatwick

Tuesday - Gatwick to Venice

12 days on cruise

Monday - Barcelona to London (either Gatwick or Heathrow - doesn't matter)

Friday - London to Toronto

All flights will be on British Airways

I kind of doubt it! I have printed off Bruin Steve's link page in the hope that it helps if I run into problems.

What do you suggest?:confused:

Thanks!

Jackie

Thank you everyone for your quick replies!

Globaliser' date=' can you tell me if one ticket will be possible based on the following itinerary:

What do you suggest?:confused:

Thanks!

Jackie[/quote']

Might be a silly question but if you are going to Aberdeen on the Friday you arrive from Toronto why not just take the flight from LHR to Aberdeen that way you can through check your luggage and don't need to go to Gatwick?

BA 098 YYZ-LHR

BA 1306 LHR-ABZ

Globaliser' date=' can you tell me if one ticket will be possible based on the following itinerary:

Monday - Aberdeen to Gatwick

Tuesday - Gatwick to Venice

12 days on cruise

Monday - Barcelona to London (either Gatwick or Heathrow - doesn't matter)

Friday - London to Toronto[/quote']I'm not a ticketing expert, but I think that it won't be possible to do that on a single ticket. Either London-Aberdeen-London, or London-Venice/Barcelona-London, would have to be a side trip. You'll have to look at the pricing, but I suspect that it'll be cheaper to have Aberdeen as the side trip. The other bit should then qualify to be written on the same ticket as the trans-Atlantic sectors. You need to check the total pricing for both combinations.

LHT28 is right about the outbound routing if you want to take all your luggage with you for the whole trip and take the risk of having to pay the excess baggage charges. There's no reason to build in an unnecessary airport change at that point.

Also, I would advise that for Barcelona-London you make sure that you book it on a BA-operated service, not an Iberia-operated service - not only should you have a better flight, you should also have less likelihood of a baggage problem.

However, if you do the Aberdeen as a side trip and don't want to take all your bags with you, then what I would do is this. Stick to your original plan to fly Gatwick to Aberdeen. When you get to Gatwick, put the excess luggage into the left luggage facility. Fly to Aberdeen and back, and then pick up the stored luggage before checking in for Gatwick to Venice. But if you do this, build in lots of time for the connections.

Might be a silly question but if you are going to Aberdeen on the Friday you arrive from Toronto why not just take the flight from LHR to Aberdeen that way you can through check your luggage and don't need to go to Gatwick?

BA 098 YYZ-LHR

BA 1306 LHR-ABZ

Good point! The reason I thought we'd do it this way was to have it return to Gatwick, because our flight to Venice leaves from there (BA do not fly Heathrow to Venice - at least not that I can see on their website).

Globaliser - thanks for the advise re Iberia. I have seen similar comments on these boards before, so I will be sure to avoid them.

I think perhaps I should call BA directly, outline my requirements, and see what they suggest. We have flown BA oversees several times now, including last year's cruise, and enjoyed the service immensely. This is the first time the luggage will be an issue domestically once we get there!!!!

Good point! The reason I thought we'd do it this way was to have it return to Gatwick' date=' because our flight to Venice leaves from there (BA do not fly Heathrow to Venice - at least not that I can see on their website).

[/quote']

you can fly into and out of different cities usually no extra charge. Why not consult a travel agent for the best routings.

They may also get you a better price with a consolidator.

Archived