Short review of Venice - boat races

Denverite

We were in Venice June 8, 2014. It must have been our lucky day because it was a day for boat races down the Grand Canal. Great photo ops! We first took the People Mover from the ship to Piazzale Roma. From there we walked everywhere and did not use the vaporettos all day. By doing that, we saw a lot of the side canals in Venice. We walked from P. Roma to Accademia and then to San Marco. We had prebooked tickets for Doges Palace (although there was no line when we got there). Piazza San Marco was practically empty when we got there, but 2 hours later it was packed. From Doges Palace we walked to the Rialto Bridge. We stopped many times for pictures of the boat races. It was very colorful and a lot of fun to see all the crowds cheering on their favorites. It was a full day just walking all over the island of Venice. Rick Steves has some great walking tours of Venice, but we found that we enjoyed just walking wherever the signs took us. I had a map but it was not of great use. A short 4 minute video of the boat races and the canals:

We were in Venice June 8, 2014. It must have been our lucky day because it was a day for boat races down the Grand Canal. Great photo ops! We first took the People Mover from the ship to Piazzale Roma. From there we walked everywhere and did not use the vaporettos all day. By doing that, we saw a lot of the side canals in Venice. We walked from P. Roma to Accademia and then to San Marco. We had prebooked tickets for Doges Palace (although there was no line when we got there). Piazza San Marco was practically empty when we got there, but 2 hours later it was packed. From Doges Palace we walked to the Rialto Bridge. We stopped many times for pictures of the boat races. It was very colorful and a lot of fun to see all the crowds cheering on their favorites. It was a full day just walking all over the island of Venice. Rick Steves has some great walking tours of Venice, but we found that we enjoyed just walking wherever the signs took us. I had a map but it was not of great use. A short 4 minute video of the boat races and the canals:

I was also there for the Big Rowing Race. It was great!:) I got to be about 500 front from the finish line and also got great photos! Just Love having an Elvis Sighting!:p

Loved that they now are thowing bags of fruit to the rowers vs the individual fruit!

I would love to see the Sept 7th Big Rowing event but will miss it by 1 day.

One thing I learned was you can not get specific info on Rowing Races in Venice from the Locals because they kind of take if for granted vs we are excited and want the time and location to get a great view.

Could be as an American we know if you don't get for example to a parade early you will never ever get a front row area or a good view unless (well on the East Coast of the US) you have to put a chair in the spot to save a place and hope someone does not walk away with the chair while your gone.