How to "make" or "kill" a roll call

Hflors

Went to my first Meet & Greet last March. The people were not very friendly. When I approached a group to introduce myself, the first words were "you can't sit here we have friends coming." Well, I wasn't going to sit anyway. I thought I was meeting people. No one seemed interested in meeting me and I just felt uncomfortable. To top if off someone yelled "well who are you?" Sorry to say I didn't have a clever "handle" everyone would remember. Didn't know I would need one when I signed up and don't know how to change my name.

Who do you ask if the OP hasn't checked in for weeks? I guess I'd be considered the one who took over on my last roll call with only a few weeks until sailing. People were asking for a M&G but no answer from the OP. I put a list of those who indicated interest together and asked for input. It was a collaborative effort for the most part but OP didn't join in, even after posting again. I can only guess she got offended but I tried to welcome her into the fold. Not my fault she dropped the ball and we were all posting regularly. I honestly felt uncomfortable being considered the leader but I get very impatient with just waiting around and not taking action. Otherwise, it wouldn't have happened.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It does not sound as though you pushed your way in assuming you were the leader, you gave suggestions.

Now my roll call the person that started it switched to a different cruise. If that is the leader, then we have no "leader" and it is very quiet. I am thinking when we get under 3 months out someone will do it. Not me, I am not good at that. Maybe it will be a pushy person and maybe everyone will be happy. Maybe not. If no one suggests anything I will ask if anyone wants to organize it. I have no problem doing that.

You know, if no one cares a flip about cabin crawls, slot pulls or gift exchanges,and all we do is meet and visit that is okay with me. I will participate in a gift exchange if enough are interested, the other things I have zero interest in doing, and even the gift exchange is no biggie.

One of the best meet and greets we had, was exactly that, no cabin crawls, slot pulls of gift exchange; however we all hung together visiting for around 2 hours.

Went to my first Meet & Greet last March. The people were not very friendly. When I approached a group to introduce myself, the first words were "you can't sit here we have friends coming." Well, I wasn't going to sit anyway. I thought I was meeting people. No one seemed interested in meeting me and I just felt uncomfortable. To top if off someone yelled "well who are you?" Sorry to say I didn't have a clever "handle" everyone would remember. Didn't know I would need one when I signed up and don't know how to change my name.

You know, those people may have cruised with friends/family,not necessarily had reserved the spot for a cyber friend. I normally walk around and talk a bit with everyone. I do sit some of course, but I sit in a lot of different spots,lol! as I visit with this person and that person. A meet and greet is not really a place to hang with your best bud. You can always go have a drink together later on I feel.

As far as your handle, well that is just a conversation starter. People have been "talking" to you for months. they are just trying to put a face with the handle. Just say something like I am the guy with the bunch of letters and numbers, just call me "George" (or Jack, or Mike, whatever your name is lol!)

Hey, I am not to crazy about my handle anymore either. I took "momofmeg" because my daughter found this website and told me about it and I was naive enough to think everyone who posted knew her. Often people think she is a little child. Nope she is a 30 year old woman. She was a young teenager when she found CC.

I just started it and offered thoughts and ask for inputs. I am not the boss of the meet and greet. Only the slot pull that I set up and will manage.

Once the basic early group had established itself, I asked for suggestions for a name for our bunch. After collecting the thoughts, I published the list and asked for votes. The majority ruled and we were christened as the "Royal Flushers". (looks like a fun bunch).

No real direction for the M&G other than connecting with each other. As time goes by, folks tend to find things that they have in common and once we meet, it may or my not result in a cruise time friendship. To each his or her own.

We have gotten input regarding tours, found out that some are staying in the same areas the night before the cruise and may get together for a meal or a drink.

While our cruise is not until next Feb. we are up to 46 listed, representing 3 countries and 15 states. I have 15 looking forward to the slot pull.

Princess had provided and is holding the venue for our get together. As time goes by, I am sure that we will have many more join the one hour of fun in club 6 (holds 160. hope we fill it up) and the midday cash bar can't hurt. ;)

Harry

The best way to kill a roll call is for cruisers who know each other to form cliques and exclude/ignore others.

This. We did a TA a few years ago and a lot of people knew each other from other cruises. It was almost like there was a secret rule that said "no outsiders allowed".

I have been reading entries on the roll call for our upcoming cruise, but have not posted. The members fight and are confrontational with each other.

I get enough of that at work. It's the last thing I need on vacation.

B

I quit my December roll call partly due to this reason. Someone posted a link to this thread and I thought it was a good idea since 2 members were just having a chat among themselves. Then one posted to the linker, "are you feeling left out?" And asked him a bunch of questions like he was in a line up.

Have never seen anything like that before and so I quit it.

I don't need this for a vacation and certainly get enough of the sniping at work with the 5th/6th grade students I teach. If I wanted sniping on vacation, I would teach at a year round school.

This. We did a TA a few years ago and a lot of people knew each other from other cruises. It was almost like there was a secret rule that said "no outsiders allowed".

I quit my December roll call partly due to this reason. Someone posted a link to this thread and I thought it was a good idea since 2 members were just having a chat among themselves. Then one posted to the linker, "are you feeling left out?" And asked him a bunch of questions like he was in a line up.

Have never seen anything like that before and so I quit it.

I don't need this for a vacation and certainly get enough of the sniping at work with the 5th/6th grade students I teach. If I wanted sniping on vacation, I would teach at a year round school.

We had something similar where a few of the "hot shots" went on a private message site and to join them was by invitation only. All they did was bash and make fun of others on the roll call. A few of us got a bit pi##ed and dropped out of the official roll call and canceled any tours we were on. We had a great time without them.

The one roll call I had an issue with was a TA. They tend to be a lot of retirees and are a bit cliquish. I had been posting a good bit but so was every one else and this was a year and a half out. We all got along well, even those whom had cruised together before were very welcoming to us that were "new." Then a year out this guy joins the rollcall, and "takes over." He is also a friend of the leader (who really was no longer the leader) and decided he does not "like" me and starts cyber bullying me. No one called him on his treatment which I first ignored but finally I called him on it. Then the former leader halfheartedly posts,"Can't everyone get along?" Nothing else.

Unfortunately I had given out my email address when I first joined the roll call, so this bully guy the jerk gives me a threatening email. Not only did I decide not to be a part of the rollcall but hubby and I also canceled that cruise and rebooked another. In the end we made the best choice,as a Med cruise worked better, instead of all the sea days we spent time post cruise in Barcelona.

Later I get an email form someone who joined that rollcall after I left that was having a problem with this same guy. I did not take sides. I just said if it bothered him enough he should skip the rollcall or change cruises. I am NOT sure what he told the jerk guy but then I got ANOTHER threatening email from bully jerk guy. I had to close out that email account.

Bottom line, if I ever book another TA, I will not join the rollcall. Lesson learned.

The one roll call I had an issue with was a TA. They tend to be a lot of retirees and are a bit cliquish. I had been posting a good bit but so was every one else and this was a year and a half out. We all got along well, even those whom had cruised together before were very welcoming to us that were "new." Then a year out this guy joins the rollcall, and "takes over." He is also a friend of the leader (who really was no longer the leader) and decided he does not "like" me and starts cyber bullying me. No one called him on his treatment which I first ignored but finally I called him on it. Then the former leader halfheartedly posts,"Can't everyone get along?" Nothing else.

Unfortunately I had given out my email address when I first joined the roll call, so this bully guy the jerk gives me a threatening email. Not only did I decide not to be a part of the rollcall but hubby and I also canceled that cruise and rebooked another. In the end we made the best choice,as a Med cruise worked better, instead of all the sea days we spent time post cruise in Barcelona.

Later I get an email form someone who joined that rollcall after I left that was having a problem with this same guy. I did not take sides. I just said if it bothered him enough he should skip the rollcall or change cruises. I am NOT sure what he told the jerk guy but then I got ANOTHER threatening email from bully jerk guy. I had to close out that email account.

Bottom line, if I ever book another TA, I will not join the rollcall. Lesson learned.

I think you just hit the nail on the head, as to why this forum doesn't have an IM function. The moderators have their hands full, just with what is posted every day -- it would be impossible for them to properly monitor all the IM's too. And anyone who acts like a jerk on the boards or in e-mails would certainly have no compunction about using IM's to do the same thing! :eek:

Edited by wwcruisers