First time DCL cruiser needs cabin and other advice

thomaskuhn

My wife and I (late thirties) went on our first cruise in 2012 on the celebrity solstice with our family. Wonderful time! Loved it! Late last year we tentatively booked a european cruise on celebrity. This all depended on what happened in our adoption process. See, we were just starting out in the adoption process and were not sure of the timelines. Some agencies were stating up to a year before placement. So we booked, knowing that we would know well in advance what the situation would be. Well if you put two and two together with our signature, you can see that i am sending this while we are supposed to be on that european cruise. We were blessed with a beautiful baby boy in May. No cruise this year. We decided to hold of on any european cruise until our baby is old enough for our local family to comfortably take care of him for an extended time frame. Perhaps 2 years old. In the mean time, since everyone in our families lives in Orlando, we could take a mini cruise next summer 2015 on a ship out of port canaveral, which is super easy to drive to. 3-4 days max. Nights. I am thinking the Disney Dream for 3 nights in may. We will invite any family member who would like to join us to come aboard.

My sister, who took the disney cruises with her husband, thought them fantastic, so we are skipping out on the RCCL ship out of canaveral.

So my questions are:

1. We will be price conscious on this trip, so what is the most bang for the buck room category with a veranda?

2. When booking through a travel site, will i only have to pay the deposit?

3. How well will a 1 year old enjoy this trip? I am sure all of our family will keep him happy if the disney characters do not.

4. At least one single grandma will be coming. Would it be more cost efficient if the baby was booked in her room vs. ours? She would have to pay double occupancy anyway. Are there mechanisms to handle situations like this?

I am sure i have more questions, but that would be it for now!

Tom

Edited by thomaskuhn

I'm guessing that with a 3 or 4 night, you are looking at the Dream.

Most bang for the buck--a cat 7 on the Magic/Wonder will have a solid wall, but there are a couple of cabins which are considered "partially obstructed view" and have the regular plexiglass balcony. We have stayed in one--minimal obstruction and a great value.

There are cat 7s on the Dream, but I've never stayed in one...so cannot comment. However, do not fear the solid balcony.

On the Dream, if you and MIL are in connecting cabins, your host can remove the divider in the balcony, creating one big space.

How a 1 year old will react depends on the child. However, during "open house" hours, the parents can take the child and anyone else to the Oceaneer's Club (normally 3 year old space) to play. There is a splash zone. And the nursery is great if grandma isn't babysitting.

You will be charged adult rates for the first 2 people in each cabin regardless of age. DCL cares who books where, not who sleeps where. Yes, it will be cheaper to book the infant and grandma together and then just tell the host to put the crib in the parent's cabin. The ONLY time it will matter is at the safety drill if you happen to be at different muster stations (kid must go where he/she is booked for that). Your savings will not be great, but if you book baby with you, room 1 = 2 adult fares + 1 infant fare +3 sets of tax. Room 2 = 2 adult fare + 1 set of tax (single supplement is full cruise fare). If you book infant with grandma, room 1 = 2 adult are + 2 tax. Room 2 = 2 adult fare + 2 tax. Net savings = 1 infant fare.

I would STRONGLY suggest a good travel agency that specializes in DCL. There are some that work primarily on line. I'd look for one that has an 800 number and will speak with you, and agent who has personally been on the ship, etc. In addition to great service, some give a nice onboard credit as a "thanks for booking with us" gift. Since you are in Florida...there is a great one in Jax. Any good agent can get you the same deal in real life as any on line LEGIT offer. There are agent sites on line that do not list all taxes, etc. so LOOK cheaper than others, but if you try to book with them, suddenly the fees increase.

And yes, at booking you pay only the deposit and it can be refunded in full up to the "penalty date."

Characters are trained to NOT approach a child. They will stand and wave, but will wait until the child interacts with them. Some kids are terrified, some love characters, some only like "face" characters (not fur), etc. But no worries--no character will get any closer to your child than you/child initiate.

Congrats--my adoption was 23 years ago (and how time flies). How did she get so big?

I'm guessing that with a 3 or 4 night' date=' you are looking at the Dream.

Most bang for the buck--a cat 7 on the Magic/Wonder will have a solid wall, but there are a couple of cabins which are considered "partially obstructed view" and have the regular plexiglass balcony. We have stayed in one--minimal obstruction and a great value.

There are cat 7s on the Dream, but I've never stayed in one...so cannot comment. However, do not fear the solid balcony.

On the Dream, if you and MIL are in connecting cabins, your host can remove the divider in the balcony, creating one big space.

How a 1 year old will react depends on the child. However, during "open house" hours, the parents can take the child and anyone else to the Oceaneer's Club (normally 3 year old space) to play. There is a splash zone. And the nursery is great if grandma isn't babysitting.

You will be charged adult rates for the first 2 people in each cabin regardless of age. DCL cares who books where, not who sleeps where. Yes, it will be cheaper to book the infant and grandma together and then just tell the host to put the crib in the parent's cabin. The ONLY time it will matter is at the safety drill if you happen to be at different muster stations (kid must go where he/she is booked for that). Your savings will not be great, but if you book baby with you, room 1 = 2 adult fares + 1 infant fare +3 sets of tax. Room 2 = 2 adult fare + 1 set of tax (single supplement is full cruise fare). If you book infant with grandma, room 1 = 2 adult are + 2 tax. Room 2 = 2 adult fare + 2 tax. Net savings = 1 infant fare.

I would STRONGLY suggest a good travel agency that specializes in DCL. There are some that work primarily on line. I'd look for one that has an 800 number and will speak with you, and agent who has personally been on the ship, etc. In addition to great service, some give a nice onboard credit as a "thanks for booking with us" gift. Since you are in Florida...there is a great one in Jax. Any good agent can get you the same deal in real life as any on line LEGIT offer. There are agent sites on line that do not list all taxes, etc. so LOOK cheaper than others, but if you try to book with them, suddenly the fees increase.

And yes, at booking you pay only the deposit and it can be refunded in full up to the "penalty date."

Characters are trained to NOT approach a child. They will stand and wave, but will wait until the child interacts with them. Some kids are terrified, some love characters, some only like "face" characters (not fur), etc. But no worries--no character will get any closer to your child than you/child initiate.

Congrats--my adoption was 23 years ago (and how time flies). How did she get so big?[/quote']

Thanks! It was good information for anyone thinking of trying DCL.

Great info! I agree with connecting cabins on the Dream. We usually have a Cat 4A w/a verandah. The connecting cabins lend enough space for 10 people. Last year we paid $5600 for two Cat 4A connecting cabins on a 4-day cruise. We had 5 adults and two 13-year olds. If you are comfortable, plan the trip yourself via the DCL website. It adds to the excitement! I have never used a travel agent for my family trips.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To OP. Cat 4s are very nice, BUT they are made to sleep 5 people and are the most costly cabins except concierge. Since you wanted to be cost effective, this isn't it.

I call my agent and tell them what I want. Then they book it for me and give me the onboard credit for going thru them. NICE. But they are there for me if I want or need them. Examples--we had a cruise where I KNEW I paid for transfers. DCL insisted I hadn't, let us ride the bus, but charged us for them. I kept insisting to no avail....but when we got home, the agent was able to get the money back for us based on her records.

In Kusadasi (Med cruise) agency had a private excursion available thruu one of their contacts--definitely the highlight of the trip, and half the price of s similar Disney excursion. One of their agents had "checked it out" in advance to the extent of naming the guides that would be used for their clients. Limited to 3 groups of 6-8 people each rather than a Disney 30.

I booked a lot of cruises on my own before I discovered the joy of a great agent/agency. And I tried a couple of lesser lights before I found one that I really like. Frankly, I did it initially because I'm "cheap" and wanted the onboard credit; now, I'd stay with these guys if they didn't give the credit. NO Affiliation, promise.

On a 3 day cruise, I would be considering if a balcony was "worth" the extra expense if budget was a consideration.

I'd see if the category 8A cabins 5020, 5022, 5520 or 5522 were available. They are an oceanview cabin but are like a mini suite with a wall divider. They have 2 extremely large round port hole windows, and the room is divided between the bed and couch area. Lots of room for a pack n play.

I made need to start a new thread but any cabin advice for the Fantasy?

We need 5 cabins. One veranda for 2 adults, 3 Oceanviews (1 each for 2 adults, one with one child, one with 2 and one with 3) and one inside for one adult and one child.

We (the grandparents) are the veranda. We normally like aft and notice the aft cabins on the Fantasy are in the lowest price category. We've had solid wall balconies before and they don't bother us. Do ANY of the aft cabins have at least a small overhang?

Any advice on any categories would be appreciated.

(We don't need connecting anything - everyone would like a little privacy. ;) )

We need 5 cabins. One veranda for 2 adults, 3 Oceanviews (1 each for 2 adults, one with one child, one with 2 and one with 3) and one inside for one adult and one child.

We (the grandparents) are the veranda. We normally like aft and notice the aft cabins on the Fantasy are in the lowest price category. We've had solid wall balconies before and they don't bother us. Do ANY of the aft cabins have at least a small overhang?

All rooms on the Fantasy are great a word if warning many people report aft shudder a vibration going into and out if port on the Fantasy we didn't notice it as we were forward but it's regularly reported

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, as I was reading, you answered some of my questions...starting with how close together do you want the cabins (or do you care?)

On the Fantasy, you have the virtual "magic" portholes in the inside cabins. This might be something that family members want to consider for the kids before deciding on an inside or oceanview. We actually wanted the magic porthole, so saved money and booked inside. We had a midship on deck 2, which I loved--very convenient to Enchanted Garden, easy to all restaurants. Right by Midship Detective Agency kiosk. BUT elevator needed for pools, and this would be far away from your aft cabin.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a small overhang." Do you mean a "roof" on the balcony? Or that it extends out over the deck below? or ????

We LOVE the aft cabins. You do get some engine noise while the ship uses the thrusters to dock, but that is a very short time. We can save money by booking the cat 7s, which appeals to me!

I guess the big question is whether you are looking for a way to "cluster" the family or if you don't mind/prefer to be scattered around the ship. You can easily say "we all want aft cabins" and on different decks can get the balcony vs the pothole. OR you can say "we all want to be on the same deck if possible." More info would help us advise you better.

We're not looking to cluster the cabins at all. (Except maybe the inside near the one with 5).

One son-in-law gets sea sick and needs center of ship and lower down but it looks as if NONE of the Oceanviews fit these criteria.

The only people who WANT aft are my husband and myself. By overhang I meant roof over the balcony. It looks as if none of the truly aft have full cover but I wondered if some have partial. I think they were category 5E if I read the deck plans correctly. (We've stayed in aft cabins on Princess and Celebrity and are familiar with the thruster vibration.) Are the 7A cabins less expensive? Those seem to be up front and would be ok also.

We're booking 5 cabins over New Years. It's a big family trip and we want it to be really nice and really special but any money we can save would be great.

Edited by chamima

We're not looking to cluster the cabins at all. (Except maybe the inside near the one with 5).

One son-in-law gets sea sick and needs center of ship and lower down but it looks as if NONE of the Oceanviews fit these criteria. Is this true?

The only people who WANT aft are my husband and myself. By overhang I meant roof over the balcony. It looks as if none of the truly aft have full cover but I wondered if some have partial. I think they were category 5E if I read the deck plans correctly. (We've stayed in aft cabins on Princess and Celebrity and are familiar with the thruster vibration.) Are the 7A cabins less expensive? Those seem to be up front and would be ok also.

We're booking 5 cabins over New Years. It's a big family trip and we want it to be really nice and really special but any money we can save would be great.

Do any of the 5E's have ANY kind of roof?

Also, the 7A says undersized balcony. Does anyone have any experience with just how small?

One last question - this balcony cabin is just for my husband and myself. Is there any area of the ship that is likelier to be a little quieter for just 2 adults with no children?

Edited by chamima

I am going to investigate those Category 8A cabins 5020, 5022, 5520 or 5522. See if I can get some photos and reviews.

Here's some help with that:

http://saundradisneydream.blogspot.ca/2011/04/our-cabins-5022-and-5020-family.html

http://toddjodybrent.blogspot.ca/2011/08/stateroom-5022-on-disney-dream.html

There is NO area of the ship that has fewer children.

I have a lot of experience on the Magic, but only a little on the Fantasy. So, I'll give you some Magic suggestions that might transfer over to Fantasy. On the Magic, deck 5 has very few guest cabins at the far forward and far aft. There is no reason for anyone to be in the guest area of these decks unless they have a cabin there, so we get a lot fewer kids running the hall. (The Oceaneer's Club and Lab are midship on deck 5, but that is not near the guest cabin area).

Also, the farther aft we've gotten, the fewer kids "roaming." That doesn't mean that the cabin next to you won't have 3 kids, but at least that there is no reason for them to be cruising down the halls.

I was in a balcony cabin in May, and can't seem to picture whether or not there was any sort of roof--sorry.