Cruise for a Family

Evarista Candelario

Good afternoon,

Kindly recommend a good family cruise. I can't afford Disney. I am bring with me 7 and 8 years old girls. I know must cruise lines have swimming pools for children. But I'm also interested in the activities too.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Most of the mainstream cruise lines have kids clubs, which offer a host of activities, and they all have pools - although not all pools are created equal...the H2O zone on RCI freedom class ships is amazing, NCL and Carnival have water slides...lol. The general rule of thumb is the newer and bigger the ship, the more kid-friendly activities they will have outside of kids club. My son loves to bowl, so trying to talk my wife into NCL cruise as they have bowling alleys. :)

But to narrow down your choices, I would look at it this way...

Where do you want to cruise from? Is there a port close to where you live? If so, driving to that port will save you money, and you can narrow down your search to the ships that sail from that port. If you have to fly to port, then consider which ports would be cheapest and easiest to fly too, and then narrow down your search. That is kind of key - narrowing things down. Much easier to research a handful of ships - in one port, Carnival may have newest ship with most bells and whistles, but NCL might at different port, etc. Once you have specific ships, you can look at itineraries, prices, and activities.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We loved the NCL Breakaway out of NYC, as did our 5 kids. Water slides, rock climbing wall, ropes course, trampoline, Nickelodeon shows and characters, great kids clubs... Great adult shows as well, tons of dining choices (free and not free) with no set dining time and casual dress. We did try DCL, but didn't like set dining and dress code.

Eta - for us, living 20 minutes from pier 88, being that close to and from your vacation is amazing!

Edited by mjkacmom

Thanks to all of you for responding. (By the way, I meant to write I am "bringing"). I'm sorry for the Grammar mistake. I live in NYC and NCL will be perfect for me. After reading your suggestions, I watched the videos on You Tube. I see that the NCL Breakaway and the Gem have daily activities for children. It would also be perfect because my nieces like the Nickelodeon characters. Once again, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I wish all of you a wonderful weekend.