To 'Kilt' or not to Kilt, that is the question

[quote name='capncarp']Q: How did the dyslexic Scotsman get into trouble at the rest stop?
A: Because he thought the sign on the rest room door said "Laddies"

Innocent young lass: "That's a handsome sporran, and a marvelous kilt! But what's worn beneath it?"
Kilted Scotsman: Why, nothing is "worn", lassie-- everything underneath is in fine working order!

And one of my favorites, told to me by a Scot:

Q: Why do Scotsmen wear kilts?
A: 'Cause sheep can hear zippers!

Up the Scots! Up the kilt! :p[/QUOTE]

Great

I'll just share a comment I made after formal nights on my last cruise. I went sort of like this "... Yes there were some gentlemen in tuxedos, but I liked it better when there were more and sadly, there were no gentlemen in kilts, it is always so nice to see one."... Real comment made last week...
PLEASE wear your kilt.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='CDN Cruisers']Absolutely! My husband brings his on all of our trips (he has a `kilter`carry on). As they always look so dashing in their kilt, be prepared for lots of compliments![/quote]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=darkred]Good for your DH. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=darkred][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=darkred]By the way welcome to Cruise Critic.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I'm still working on him -- in spite of his love of peacock attire, he doesn't actually like attention and if ever there was an attention seeking outfit a kilt is it.

He's of independent mind and though I'm swayed by all the positive feedback my second hand account doesn't carry much weight.

A month to go and probably the ONLY time we'll ever drive to a port and thus save overweight luggage charges,

Ruth

That is a definite yes! I have seen quite a few kilts over the years on different cruises, always looks sharp and distinguished. It does get some attention but that can be fun. I love wearing my kilt but have yet to wear it on a ship yet as I don't have it up to par for a formal night, still need a few things for that but will be wearing it for sure once that is done.

Hope you can convince him to do it.

[quote name='Anvil of Crom']That is a definite yes! I have seen quite a few kilts over the years on different cruises, always looks sharp and distinguished. It does get some attention but that can be fun. I love wearing my kilt but have yet to wear it on a ship yet as I don't have it up to par for a formal night, still need a few things for that but will be wearing it for sure once that is done.

Hope you can convince him to do it.[/QUOTE]

Bob has all the bits and pieces, but since you love wearing yours my advice would be to go with what you have. The kilt itself is so distracting I doubt anyone else would notice what's missing. After all are not jeans worn with dress blazers and open necked shirts!

[quote name='nana51']My dad who was in the Canadian army in WW11 said the Germans called them "the ladies from hell"[/quote]

My father, who was in the 48th Highlanders of Canada, said they were referred to as "The ladies from Hades" which, of course, isn't the same thing but it rhymes better :).

Most of my sea travel has been on British ships (Cunard, P&O, the late Union-Castle) where kilts are much in evidence, so I'm pleased that some men will wear a kilt on HAL.

[quote name='luxurysailer']Since my tux doesn't get me any cat calls from the ladies, maybe I should lie about my ancestry and get me a kilt.[/QUOTE]

No need to lie about you ancestry.

There are plenty of tartans out there that can readily be worn by any man.

Geographical tartans are a good example. Louisiana has a state tartan--and a fairly attractive one, at that: [url]http://www.csbr.org/latartan1.htm[/url]

By all means wear it, especially if you have any Scottish ports. I've worn my once and will be wearing it again next week on Eurodam's TA as we will be calling on Scotland's Shetland Islands. I leave a couple of the heavy pieces at home and it still weighs 9 pounds. My wife loves it and think it's fun. Besides, with what it cost, I feel I have to get at least an occasional use from it. Enjoy!