Need recommendation for private tours in La Spezia/Florence and Cititavecchia/Rome

Localgirl773

Hello,

Our family of 7 (includes 2 children 6 and 8 and 2 retirees) are looking for private tour recommendations for both ports of La Speiza and Cititavecchia. Would a driver be enough or do you suggest hiring a guide at certain destinations? We will be going in August so I am sure it will be hot.

For La Speiza...how long of a tour do you thinks would be advisable and besides Pisa any other suggestions for sightseeing? Would anyone suggest the outlets for shopping? I have heard wonderful things about the outlet mall with Prada, Ferragamo etc...is it worth it?

For Cittavecchia. We wanted to see the coliseum and vatican. Would we need a guide for both?

Any child friendly locations we should visit?

Thank you so much for any advice. It is our first time touring Italy with kids and it seems to be a very different experience. :)

Our kids, who are older teens now, have been cruising the Med with us since they were 11 and 7. At that age they would have been bored stiff by a guide. Even now, as an older teen, the younger one only has limited tolerance to listen to a guide droning on. Our kids were much happier running around the Colosseum on their own. Your kids might react differently to a guide, but only you can answer that question.

In Rome I suggest you skip the Vatican Museums, which holds only limited interest for most kids. Instead, to pique their interest, climb up with them to the top of the dome of St. Peter's Basilica.

I also suggest skipping Pisa. Most kids who see the Tower want to head straight up to the top (ours did), but your kids are too young to climb it and will likely be disappointed. Consider a trip to Cinque Terre, which will involve much less time riding in the car and could involve some fun activities for kids like boat rides.

You're right. Cruising the Med with young kids is definitely a different, but very rewarding, experience. Have a great trip.

If you look down the board, there are tons of recommendations for tour venders, including the wonderful Rome in Limo, which operates in Rome and the Florence area. You would need to see if they operate in La Spezia. It has been noted on their huge thread below, that they have been very good with kids. They also provide guides for the Vatican, at extra cost.

I agree with epixx, the Vatican might be boring for the kids. But, if you do the Vatican, a guide is extremely valuable.

Totally agree about skipping the Vatican museums which I think would be WORSE for kids with a guide! The basilica and climbing the dome would be great. They'll love the Colosseum. Don't miss the Pantheon either, the oculus should be intriguing to them.

I'd skip Pisa/Florence completely from La Spezia and take them to Cinque Terre. Way more interesting to kids, you could ride the train or take the boat between the villages, etc. After 21 grandkids, I have a pretty good idea of what kids will like--and it's all interesting to the adults, too.

Thanks everyone! Anyone have any tour guide/tour suggestions for Cinque Terre?

Cinque Terra is not a place...it is a series of 5 villages that you can take a boat or train to or hike from ome to the other.There is a lot of info on this board re all your questions as well. I really would suggest you do some reading from some guide books so you get a feel for where you are going on your cruise.It is NOTHING at all lke cruisng in the caribe.It would really help you I think.I would say you do not need a guide,just a driver,but that is really up to you. There is current info posted not to long ago re the Outles in Italy if you search on the Italy board. The best thing I can tell you about shopping high end epsecially is to know your pricing and the euro to the dollar.If you think you can buy it here then do it as it amy be cheaper in the long run.Good luck.

We are seniors but have booked Rome Cabs for our tours in Rome, Florence and Pompeii. They will pick us up in La Spezia for an extra 50 euros. You can customize your tours to some extent.

They are receiving very good reviews here on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor.

Sue