Platinum question

niiaka

We are thinking of booking a 5 night cruise in August - sort of last minute. There will be 4 of us. My 81 yr. old mom, my husband, and my daughter. If we do book this it will put my husband and I over the 75 days, making us Platinum. My mom has long been Platinum. Our daughter will be 3 days short of Platinum. Are some of you suggesting our daughter should not go with us to the VIP lounge?

We are thinking of booking a 5 night cruise in August - sort of last minute. There will be 4 of us. My 81 yr. old mom, my husband, and my daughter. If we do book this it will put my husband and I over the 75 days, making us Platinum. My mom has long been Platinum. Our daughter will be 3 days short of Platinum. Are some of you suggesting our daughter should not go with us to the VIP lounge?

Unfortunately, some have suggested in the past on other threads that if you are traveling with a minor that does not qualify for priority boarding that you should follow their boarding instructions.

However, that is not the case. Priority embarkation will be extended to your daughter because she will most likely be staying in your room and she is a minor. Also, if you are at a tender port of call, priority tendering will be extended to her as well.

Edited by Disconnections

Unfortunately, some have suggested in the past on other threads that if you are traveling with a minor that does not qualify for priority boarding that you should follow their boarding instructions.

However, that is not the case. Priority embarkation will be extended to your daughter because she will most likely be staying in your room and she is a minor. Also, if you are at a tender port of call, priority tendering will be extended to her as well.

Nice to hear something positive. She would be staying in my mom's room. She will actually be 18 at cruise time but we still have every intention of having her priority board with us. She will have 72 Carnival Days counted when we board. Frankly a lot more than many of current Platinum members. I'm not criticizing anyone who qualified under the old policy which could mean Platinum at 30 days or less. We'd have done the same thing if we had lived closer to a port, but I'm simply stating that she will be just 3 days away and traveling with her parents and grandmother who have qualified.

I certainly "get" why the VIP should just be for those who "earned" it, and agree, but I also think there needs to be a common sense approach. My husband and I will officially be Platinum on my next Carnival Cruise. I would not be offended if the situation makes sense. I've not cruise RCCL yet, but am booked for 6/15. I was reading their rules and I believe I read that if a husband and wife are different levels, they go by the highest. That seems common sense to me - for example.

Just my humble opinion!

Nice to hear something positive. She would be staying in my mom's room. She will actually be 18 at cruise time but we still have every intention of having her priority board with us. She will have 72 Carnival Days counted when we board. Frankly a lot more than many of current Platinum members. I'm not criticizing anyone who qualified under the old policy which could mean Platinum at 30 days or less. We'd have done the same thing if we had lived closer to a port, but I'm simply stating that she will be just 3 days away and traveling with her parents and grandmother who have qualified.

I certainly "get" why the VIP should just be for those who "earned" it, and agree, but I also think there needs to be a common sense approach. My husband and I will officially be Platinum on my next Carnival Cruise. I would not be offended if the situation makes sense. I've not cruise RCCL yet, but am booked for 6/15. I was reading their rules and I believe I read that if a husband and wife are different levels, they go by the highest. That seems common sense to me - for example.

Just my humble opinion!

As long as her next cruise isn't a two night cruise to nowhere, she will board the ship as a Platinum guest. Luckily, according to your previous post, you are looking at a last minute 5 night sailing.

Edited by Disconnections

they are fine with checking in and meeting up with us later. I didn't expect my question to have such strong opinions. We are VIP but we never really thought about the VIP lounge as an earned privilege above everyone else. Last year we sailed NCL Breakaway. 1 of my friends works closely with Cake Boss and upon arrive to the pier the upgraded her cabin and invited all of us who drove into the city together to the VIP lounge with her. We just thought it would be nice to return the gesture

So why don't you forego the vip line and check in with your group?

What perks were taken away?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Used to get free blackjack tourney entry now buy one get one.

Used to get guaranteed dining times now they will try and accomodate you whatever that means.

Was unlimited laundry now 3 bags per person but this one is no big deal as we have never used more than 2 each

Something else but dont remember now.

However this was after being told it would be better but instead of giving stuff they just took away.

My mom has long been Platinum. Our daughter will be 3 days short of Platinum. Are some of you suggesting our daughter should not go with us to the VIP lounge?

Since your daughter will be staying in the same cabin as a Platinum, she will definitely get Priority boarding.

Dining wouldn't be a problem. however, your friends wont be able to go into the VIP lounge or check in with you. if you get there early, you could get zone 1 boarding cards. You can check in the vip area and go out and board with the rest of your group. I don't think its right for non vips (unless they are minors) to go and check in and board with those that earned it or FTTF which paid for it.

My mom, aunt, grandma and I have a cruise later this year. I'm the only platinum. I told my mom, who ever rooms with me, gets on earlier and gets vip check in, the others we will meet on lido deck. I'm not going to scam or cheat the system.

Just my humble opinion!

Since your Mom is platinum she is covered even if this was her first cruise...so no worries

I think if you travel from Miami, you might have good luck. It is not like your bringing 15 extra people-- only 4. I've seen small groups of Platinum/Non-Platinum check in together on my last 2 cruises. Heck, I've seen extended families board in the first batch with their granny who is in a wheelchair.

In Miami, at least, I don't think the folks at check-in are too stringent as long as you're not really, really stretching the rules. I think they just want to get you on the boat.

Other folks may have had different experiences.

I think you missed my previous post. ;)

The old fashion way was 10 cruises. You must mean the new way which is 75 nights. But if you took 10 cruises of 7 and 8 nights, your covered both ways. Good for you!

See you in the Platinum Lounge, I'm the one smiling because I earned my status with short and long cruises and saved a lot of money. But, it was really easy living in Florida!

PS one of my 3 day cruises (1 cruise segment) was a pack and go ocean view for $135 pp. We booked it 7 days out and smiled through the entire cruise knowing we got one great bargain!. Plus another segment towards Platinum status.

No, we mean the old fashioned way. We cruised 10 times between 2000 and 2013.

Oh, if only we lived close to any port. (Boston no longer counts because Carnival stopped cruising from there.) We have had to fly to all but two cruises.

My husband retries in only 3,000+ days. :eek: Maybe I can convince him to move equidistant to cruise ports.

I'm sorry you got bombarded with this. I think after a couple of people explain the Platinum procedure, everyone should just leave it alone. How many times does anyone need to hear that it is not allowed? The one good suggestion of possibly purchasing them the FTTF package as a gift was a good idea. Have a wonderful cruise with your friends.

Which is why I believe that that the starter of a thread should be able to mark a thread closed.

Two things.... if daughter is booked in the same cabin as a Platinum cruiser, yes, she will be allowed to enter the VIP lounge with you...

AND...

if she is 3 days short before the cruise starts and its a 5 day cruise, she herself will be recognized as Platinum on that cruise, not after its over...

So, either way, yes, your daughter can check in in the VIP lounge :)