lisbon zoo

Hoping someone can help me, we are stopping in Lisbon on our upcoming cruise and would like to visit Lisbon zoo however we are thinking of doing it ourselves.

Can anyone who has been tell me if it is quite straight forward to get to using public transport and a rough recent cost.

Thanks

Just returned from a weekend stay in Lisbon at the Marriott, which is right next to the zoo.

We were 3 and just decided to take taxis everywhere as they are quite inexpensive in Lisbon still.

The metro will cost 1.40 euro per 1 hour travel per person or 6 euro per day for a metro, bus and tram pass.

If your ship is at Santa Apolonia you just take the blue line right to the zoo.

If you are at Alcantara it is a bit of a walk to the metro.

We took taxis to Belem for 9 euros and to the city center for 7 euro and around 8 euro over to Santa Apolonia. The daytime fare is 3.25 for 1st Km and then .60 each additional.

There are several taxi companies in Lisbon. Be careful that they turn on the meter. This is really only a problem at airport or cruise terminals. You will see the 3.25 daytime or 3.90 weekend/evening right as they hit the meter when you enter taxi. All official taxis have fare charts in back driver's side window.

Some drivers might take some 'unique' routes but it just adds 1 or 2 euros to the fare max. We had this happen only on 2 of 14 or so journeys and most drivers spoke some degree of English.

• 3 weeks later...

In case you're still following this thread: I checked into the zoo, and it costs something like 20 euros! At least I think they have dolphin shows, so you get a little something extra for your money!

The Sete Rios metro stop (or at least the most northern one) is right across from the zoo entrance, which is nice!