Mr and Mrs Bucket alive and well

Yes, they are alive and well and cruising on P&O

Mentioning you have cruised on Thomson is always sure to generate a response. So don't do it unless you have a thick skin or like stirring it.

On my last cruises a lady and I had fun talking about 'the cruise line you can not mention', if asked, we said Thomson. This resulted in either a relieved 'oh!, we do Thomson too', or we were glared at.

A couple at dinner, freedom dining were seated at a table for 4 where the rather 'posh' other couple went on about all their Cunard/P&O cruises. When asked what was their last cruise the couple said Thomson. The reply was 'oh!, thats where the poor people cruise' They were then ignored for the rest of the meal.

During a Norwegian Fjord sailaway i was engaged in an interesting conversation about northern norway, the midnight sun, whale spotting etc. What ship were you on? he asked. Thomson Spirit I replied. He spun on his heel and walked away :rolleyes: and here's me with no tattoos :D

P&O seem to have their fare share of passengers who have never cruised with anyone else. They don't know what they are missing ;)

Oh Dave you make me laugh :D:D

We found on Celebrity that if you mentioned Thomson, you were either greeted with a relieved "Oh yes we have been on Thomson" or "Oh we always go on Celebrity"

It was the last day before we found anyone who admitted to going on Fred :rolleyes:

On the other hand, we were talking to someone on a tender when on the Dream and she said how good Thomson entertainment is and that she had been on Cunard and the entertainment was not a patch on Thomson :)

I think some people have a good first cruise on one line and are frightened to try anything else. Go on give it a go - it's a big world out there ;)

for some inexplicable reason??.....I often get 'the look' ??:p

we have overheard this line on just about every cruise ship ........the captain told us...…when we were having dinner at his table last night.........;)

or

oh do tell......whats it like down there on deck ? (bottom of ship as low as you can possibly ever be) with no window?!

perfect targets for some impromptu amusement...imo;)

btw....german ships are the....most amusing

Quote:-

"A couple at dinner, freedom dining were seated at a table for 4 where the rather 'posh' other couple went on about all their Cunard/P&O cruises. When asked what was their last cruise the couple said Thomson. The reply was 'oh!, thats where the poor people cruise' They were then ignored for the rest of the meal."

I would have been quite happy to be ignored by such a***oles. Who would want to talk to such sad people.

Flopsy

You can have a bit of fun if there is a lttle devil inside you. I was blanked in no uncertain way at the bar on the 1st night of a 14 nighter. The 'lady' in question then had the pleasure of me sitting on the next bar stool for the next 13 nights :D:D

Or the posh man who was having a drink before dinner while his wife got ready.

He asked me 'my wife and I wondered if your peerage was hereditary'. We had filipino waiters :p ( you might not get this one;))

On the penultimate night he said 'the staff are really nice arn't they, but we wouldn't want them living in our country would we'.

Or the well spoken man on the last morning approaching southampton after a 12 nighter. 'we always remove the auto tips as we prefer to tip personally. The steward seemed upset when I gave him 10 euros'. Mmm i thought. The same steward as me and he was excellent. I would have been sorely tempted to stuff that 10 euros where the sun don't shine.

You can have a bit of fun if there is a lttle devil inside you. I was blanked in no uncertain way at the bar on the 1st night of a 14 nighter. The 'lady' in question then had the pleasure of me sitting on the next bar stool for the next 13 nights :D:D

He asked me 'my wife and I wondered if your peerage was hereditary'. We had filipino waiters :p ( you might not get this one;))

On the penultimate night he said 'the staff are really nice arn't they, but we wouldn't want them living in our country would we'.

Or the well spoken man on the last morning approaching southampton after a 12 nighter. 'we always remove the auto tips as we prefer to tip personally. The steward seemed upset when I gave him 10 euros'. Mmm i thought. The same steward as me and he was excellent. I would have been sorely tempted to stuff that 10 euros where the sun don't shine.

Dave, Sir, I'm shocked and stunned! But I can see your point- it would be nice to irritate them!

Flopsy

You can have a bit of fun if there is a lttle devil inside you. I was blanked in no uncertain way at the bar on the 1st night of a 14 nighter. The 'lady' in question then had the pleasure of me sitting on the next bar stool for the next 13 nights :D

Nope, Dave, I don't get this one! :confused:

And there is a little devil in me. I wouldn't blank a man sitting by himself on a bar stool on Spirit waiting to leave the Port of Tyne. ;). I would go and introduce myself. :D

I get it dave....sir dave;)

ah yes sir magot (of dingbat) ....... loved that.... nice ring to it:cool:.....and lady magot (of the moth-eaten ermine):)

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

We usually cruise with Thomson but I eventually persuaded Mrs Len to broaden our outlook & go on a P&O cruise in January. We have even cruised with Island & Sun cruises so do we mention this?!

Mrs Len will sit quietly & listen & then World War 3 will erupt (well what do you expect from Thomson riff-raff?). They will get both barrels no matter who they are.

I would love to go to the formal night dressed as Geronimo as the P&O fashion police have to admit the you can go in national dress!! Not born an Indian? What you mean paleface?

I can see us going self service for 13 out of 14 nights.

On our last cruise on the Dream we met a lovely older couple (elderly) who were cruising with three grandchildren. Grandma was bedding down with the girls and grandpa and the one boy had a cabin together as well.

When chatting it turned out that they were gold P & O customers and the lady's father had been "in shipping." They were also off on Ventura the next week with their other grandchildren. They were the most coolest grandparents with clearly a love for cruising and definately very well off. They loved the Dream (bear in mind it was the first infamous season!) and they also had cruised with Thomson plenty of times before.

Unfortunately, it is the minority who spoil our perception. I have been stood with a buggy and a sleeping baby on Oceana waiting for a lift, to have an older couple barge past me tutting about children, cruises and late nights! I have also experienced adults who want to speak and enjoy my children's experiences of cruises.

My mantra when I experience snobbiness is that I have paid more than you (I have to pay for my two children generally at least as much as a full adult fare) and I entitled to a lovely holiday - they are so precious with a growing family.

Suzy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would love to go to the formal night dressed as Geronimo as the P&O fashion police have to admit the you can go in national dress!! Not born an Indian? What you mean paleface?

tbh...i like the sound of that...they have caribbean night in caribbean (loud shirts and calypso)

they have galabeya nights on nile cruises

why cant they have spanish/greek/turkish nights?....sounds like fun…. all you need is a pair of castanets a waistcoat and that guy from the plenty add....maybe a fez and a belly dancer for turkey....I would luv that:cool:

We have cruised with a few different companies and our next cruise in Jan is with P&O ,we have talked to people on all the cruises about the companies used if asked that is and never met anyone that appeared to look down there noses at us ,we have met some lovely people on our cruises and in all honesty only one lady on a Fred cruise that was awkward and overbearing ,I put her in her place and I was fine after that she didn't seem to talk much though after that .I did find on our last Thomson cruise every time we met another couple they all asked who have we cruised with before I found that strange because it was without exception every couple .I have to say I don't like to discuss with people what I paid which grade cabin in and other companies used for me it spoils it lots more things to talk about ,but going back to original thread I have cruised with P&O a number of times and never met anyone who thinks they are posher than me I'd just tell them they defiantly are not ha ha :)

This is a very interesting thread of mixed experiences. As someone who has not sailed with P&O I cannot help thinking that most people are just fine but that some are definitely not. Regarding the man who would not want Filipino waiters living in Britain... well I think I would rather have them than people like him. But from what I have heard we are better off with Thomson. I saw the documentary recently about the showteam on a P&O ship. They weren't as good as most of the showteams I have seen on Thomson ships and it was three nights before they did a show at all! If ever I go P&O I think I shall make sure my kindle is loaded with plenty of books I haven't read. War and Peace perhaps.

lady on baltic cruise we were on 2009 told us she always sailed with p&o.we were on thomson spirit at the time ,all she seemed to talk about was p&o,when asked why she was on thomson spirit she was stuck for answer.after couple days into cruise people were avoiding her and calling her mrs bucket. after six cruises with thomson this is the only time we met a mrs bucket.we have met people who liked thomson better than p&O.

Does all this mean that I shouldn't take my Thomson Cruises beach bag (won in a quiz) on our first Celebrity cruise in October? I cant take my QM2 hoodie as it went out of shape in the wash!

On our Celebration cruise in May, on last morning breakfast, I asked the waiter to move us to another table as one woman who was seated with us kept up a continual list of Thomson faults and failings and comparisons with P&O and Cunard. You should have seen the look on her face! We had had a lovely cruise and she was taking the shine off it on our last morning!

In May, myself and two school friends (and husbands) are sailing into Liverpool on QM2's anniversary cruise. We are going to have T shirts saying 'Liverpool girls college class of 56'.

How naff is that? But we don't care. And as for coming from Liverpool ......... people start watching whether you are about to put the cutlery in your handbag!

Sandie

Does all this mean that I shouldn't take my Thomson Cruises beach bag (won in a quiz) on our first Celebrity cruise in October? I cant take my QM2 hoodie as it went out of shape in the wash!

On our Celebration cruise in May, on last morning breakfast, I asked the waiter to move us to another table as one woman who was seated with us kept up a continual list of Thomson faults and failings and comparisons with P&O and Cunard. You should have seen the look on her face! We had had a lovely cruise and she was taking the shine off it on our last morning!

In May, myself and two school friends (and husbands) are sailing into Liverpool on QM2's anniversary cruise. We are going to have T shirts saying 'Liverpool girls college class of 56'.

How naff is that? But we don't care. And as for coming from Liverpool ......... people start watching whether you are about to put the cutlery in your handbag!

Sandie

Can you not get your T shirts to say "Scouse Girls"?

I love it when 'social climbers' try to make you think they are more refined. I usually say something like "I remember when Lady D----- D-------- came to tea," etc. True, promise.

Sandie

Like it :D:D:D

Failed with the technology again, :( not quite Hyacinth Bucket but I liked this modern interpretation of where we see ourselves (and others) in the British class system.

Google this. It's on YouTube.

The Two Ronnies - 2000 Today

Failed with the technology again, :( not quite Hyacinth Bucket but I liked this modern interpretation of where we see ourselves (and others) in the British class system.

Google this. It's on YouTube.

The Two Ronnies - 2000 Today

Here you go Jackanne:)...

;)

Tizzy-Jo. Thanks for the idea re T shirts. Have now all decided that on the back we shall have 'Scouse girls on Tour'. OMG! It will be more than the cutlery bring tied down ..........

How much do you think I can get in my Thomson bag - it's pretty big?

Sandie

Tizzy-Jo. Thanks for the idea re T shirts. Have now all decided that on the back we shall have 'Scouse girls on Tour'. OMG! It will be more than the cutlery bring tied down ..........

How much do you think I can get in my Thomson bag - it's pretty big?

Sandie

Brilliant. I love Scouse humour. Lived in Liverpool 38 years ago and was sorry to leave, (husband's work).

No, you can't put one of the crew in your bag, it's not allowed.

It's affected voices/accents that get me.

Like the woman who thought kernel was a commissioned rank in the army.

Here's the basic entrance greeting message test for the officer's mess mess at Sandhurst - try it out on a mate.

"I'll spell out three words, one by one...... you repeat each one once......then you put all three together - and finally repeat all three together as one well known phrase or saying"

1. "A - I - R"

Him - air

2. "H - A - I - R"

Him - hair

3. "L - A - I - R"

Him - lair

It works better by oral instruction !!!