Ship docking in ports

Floridanamaw

We will be in Skagway, Juneau, Victoria and Ketchikan in September. Do the ships dock close to the towns so that you can just get off the ship and walk around without having to find a way into town? I'm trying to plan excursions but I also want to spend time just walking around the towns. Do most of the excursions start and end at the docks? I know the train station in Skagway is right at the dock and it looks like the town itself it right there. What about the other ports? In Victoria we are just going to walk around anyway. Thanks.

We will be in Skagway, Juneau, Victoria and Ketchikan in September. Do the ships dock close to the towns so that you can just get off the ship and walk around without having to find a way into town? I'm trying to plan excursions but I also want to spend time just walking around the towns. Do most of the excursions start and end at the docks? I know the train station in Skagway is right at the dock and it looks like the town itself it right there. What about the other ports? In Victoria we are just going to walk around anyway. Thanks.

It depends on your dock. In Juneau our ship will be the farthest away, about a mile into town. In Ketchikan we will be at dock 4, close to a mile to Creek Street. HAL seems to do the best with location, and Princess often isn't too bad. We'll be on X Century, and it has to leave Juneau in the early afternoon for a Norwegian ship to come in.:(

In Victoria ships dock at Ogden Point which is about a 20 minute walk into the center of downtown (inner harbour, Empress Hotel, etc.). It's a lovely walk along tree lined streets.

Edited by cruiseryyc

I'll be on Norwegian Jewel which comes in at 2:00 in Juneau. I guess maybe the ships or town has shuttle buses we can use if it's too far. I was hoping to see the town before or after an excursion. I'll just have to plan accordingly for the port. Thanks

We just got back from our July 4th sailing on Rhapsody. In Juneau and Skagway, we found the town had shuttles for $2-4 a trip. You could get an all day pass for $5 in Skagway. In Victoria we did the hop on hop off option and for $38 a person it was a rip off. Don't do it. We were able to ride the bus twice, were not allowed a full loop on the tour because they had to pick up more people. Then during the day, busses were very late or full. We ended up just walking around town. If you get a chance to get out to the Mendenhall glacier do it and take the 2plus mile hike out to see it. It's breathtaking!!! Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that the towns were close to the docks, as in right there, but it looks like we will need to do some walking or find a shuttle. I want to leave enough time before or after excursions to walk around the towns. The only place that I know what we are doing for sure is Skagway and I am planning a train excursion there. Juneau I'm thinking about one of the Mendenhall Glacier tours. In Ketchikan I'm just not finding anything that really sounds that great, within our price range anyway, maybe Totem Bight Park, but I'm undecided. :confused:

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that the towns were close to the docks, as in right there, but it looks like we will need to do some walking or find a shuttle. I want to leave enough time before or after excursions to walk around the towns. The only place that I know what we are doing for sure is Skagway and I am planning a train excursion there. Juneau I'm thinking about one of the Mendenhall Glacier tours. In Ketchikan I'm just not finding anything that really sounds that great, within our price range anyway, maybe Totem Bight Park, but I'm undecided. :confused:

The dock in Juneau is walkable but it's a hike. If you take a tour out to the glacier they will drop you off in town after your done. Then you just hop on shuttle back to ship. In Skagway it's only a ten minute walk to town, but we used the shuttle bus. It's cheap and always available. If you head out to the Mendenhall Glacier be sure you give yourself time to walk the 2 mile nugget Trail out closer to the glacier, it's so worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

In Juneau when you walk back to the ship be sure to stop at eat at Tracy's King Crab Shack since that is better food than you will eat on any ship. It is hidden next to the library parking structure.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In Juneau when you walk back to the ship be sure to stop at eat at Tracy's King Crab Shack since that is better food than you will eat on any ship. It is hidden next to the library parking structure.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Tracy's isn't hidden any longer...new location and storefront gift shop..per our May 30th cruise :D

It all depends. What ship are you on?

In Juneau there are spots right in town, as well as the AJ dock which is about a mile from town, but free shuttles are available about every 15 minutes all day long.

In Ketchikan, you will probably be coming off your ship and almost right to the shopping area.

In Skagway, unless you are at the 2 spaces that NCL uses most of the time, you will have a good hike into town, or a shuttle. In Skagway they are not free but only charge about $2-3 per person, per direction.

In Victoria it is a long walk - there are buses that are available for about $10-12 round trip.

It all depends. What ship are you on?

In Juneau there are spots right in town, as well as the AJ dock which is about a mile from town, but free shuttles are available about every 15 minutes all day long.

In Ketchikan, you will probably be coming off your ship and almost right to the shopping area.

In Skagway, unless you are at the 2 spaces that NCL uses most of the time, you will have a good hike into town, or a shuttle. In Skagway they are not free but only charge about $2-3 per person, per direction.

In Victoria it is a long walk - there are buses that are available for about $10-12 round trip.

OP is on the Norwegian Jewel which never docks close to town in Juneau. I have watched over the years where one Norwegian ship arrives early in the morning, then it leaves about 1:30 - 2 PM and the next Norwegian ships arrives at that pier.