Questions on Dublin, Glasgow and Edinburgh

Has anyone tried the hop on hop off busses at these ports? How far are the downtowns from the ports? Can you buy tickets at the terminal or in town. I know I can buy on line but I thought I would wait to see the weather first

Did HOHO in both Dublin & Edinburgh. Dublin was easy, took the free shuttle to downtown Dublin that dropped us off less than 1/2 a block from one of the HOHO sites. They gave us a map that told you where each of the major stops were. Could get off, and when ready to get back on waited at the bus stop for the next bus.

Edinburgh was a bit more difficult, but still easy enough. Took the not so free shuttle ($16pp R/T) to train station, bought train ticket. Followed everyone else. Caught the express train and three stops later walked out of train station and right across the street were the buses. Edinburgh's route was a little more compact, so whole tour was quicker. Here we rode once around, and then stayed on to get off at stops we wanted (Like Greyfriers Bobby statue, and to eat some haggis). When ready to catch a bus you just can't wait at the stop, you need to flag down the driver or they will go right by you.

We are doing a Baltics cruise next year and plan on HOHO or self guided walking tours at least half the stops. Personally I love the HOHO buses-you get to see what you want to see. Ideal when in a city for such a short time.

The best way to do the hoho bus in Edinburgh is to take the shuttle bus from the pier at a cost of £10 round trip. This bus is operated by a local coach company. It takes you to Charlotte Square, at the West End of Princess Street. From there you can get on two buses, but the green line (the Edinburgh Tour) is the one I'd recommend for a good overview of the Old and New towns and you get on that one at the same stop as you get off your shuttle bus. Couldn't be easier!!

If you look at my previous posts I have posted details and photos about this in a thread I started a couple of months ago.

Has anyone tried the hop on hop off busses at these ports? How far are the downtowns from the ports? Can you buy tickets at the terminal or in town. I know I can buy on line but I thought I would wait to see the weather first

We did the Hop On in Edinburgh (the Royal Ticket) and loved it. Saw everything we wanted to see, whether we got off the bus or not. The ticket office is right across the street from the train station and yes you can purchase tickets there (although we purchased ours on line for convenience). No experience with Glasgow, but sure it is just as good. We have never been disappointed when we have chosen to see a city on the HOHO bus.

Cole

Last month I did the HOHO in Glasgow. I used the shuttle bus from the ship (I think it was $40). The trip took approx. 45 mins. The HOHO bus is less than a 10 min. walk from where the shuttle bus lets you off. (This was a Celebrity ship.) You can buy tickets at the bus stop.

We did the HOHO in Edinburgh and enjoyed it. There are several companies, but now I forget the differences, if any. Be aware that occasionally a cruise ship docks in the town of South Queensferry, not actually Edinburgh. If that's the case, you'll need to get to Edinburgh to pick up the HOHO bus. I remember having trouble finding the port site that shows where each ship will dock, so maybe it's best to call the cruise line and ask them where that will be, if they know in advance. I believe "Rosyth" is generally the best location for being close to Edinburgh, and I vaguely remember that one of the HOHO buses went close to the port, but only one company of the several that are there! However, I could be wrong, so do some more checking!

I don't know which ship you are on, but if you let me know I can look at the cruise schedules to find out which of the three cruise terminals you'll be docked at so I can give you correct information.

Actually, Rosyth is furthest from Edinburgh and the most awkward to get to and from, whereas Leith is actually in Edinburgh and you only need to get a #22 bus from just outside the terminal to Waverley Bridge where several of the hoho tours leave from. There are actually 5 different tours in Edinburgh and I would advise you not to book before you come. I was down at the pier today and I was helping someone who had booked a ticket on city-sightseeing which was tricky to get to from the port.

If you're at Queensferry, the best way to do the hoho bus in Edinburgh is to take the shuttle bus from the pier at a cost of £10 round trip. This bus is operated by a local coach company. It takes you to Charlotte Square, at the West End of Princess Street. From there you can get on two buses, but the green line (the Edinburgh Tour) is the one I'd recommend for a good overview of the Old and New towns and you get on that one at the same stop as you get off your shuttle bus. Couldn't be easier!! That's the one I use myself with visitors. If you look at my previous posts I posted details and photos about this in a thread I started a couple of months ago.

We've also done the hoho bus in Glasgow and you will obviously need to get the train from Greenock West or Greenock Central (get there by taxi from the port) to Glasgow Central then walk over to George Square (signposted) where the buses start from. We found it a good way of getting a flavour of Glasgow and spent a lot of time at Kelvingrove and the People's Palace. We also particularly enjoyed the DIY tour we did of Rennie Mackintosh buildings another day.

I am going to take a train from Rosyth to Glasgow. What is the best way to get to the train station? Thanks

The only way to get to the train station, unless your ship offers a shuttle which some lines do, is by taxi. To get to Glasgow, you would need to take the taxi to Inverkeithing station, get a train to Edinburgh Haymarket then change and get on the train to Glasgow Queen Street. You can buy your a through ticket at Inverkeithing which has trains every few minutes to Haymarket and then there are trains every 30 minutes from Haymarket. The whole journey will take you 1 hr 15 mins give or take, plus the taxi ride.

Check out the timetables here:

www.nationalrail.co.uk,

but do not book in advance. It will probably be cheaper to buy a return ticket on the day.