A Very Late Review - 10 Night Society Islands & Tuamotus

Thanks so much for your detailed review. It's a real pleasure to read. It's clear you had a great time.

You are doing wonders for our anticipation. Cannot wait for September.

I forecast the beginnings of the PG Flu in your future. If we next go on the PG soon becomes WHEN we next go on the PG. All of a sudden you become a lifer like some of us!

Thanks Emdee! Yes I have most definately come down with the PG flu (as has DH). In fact we went out for dinner last night and spent most of our time talking about how and when we can go again! :)

I can see the color in your face on that last picture ....... is that because of you being outside in the sun having the time of your life or ....... ah ..... is it because of the 'fertility blanket' :eek:

Bahaha Tiki! I almost spat my breakfast out reading this I was laughing so hard!

Seeing as this board is PG rated (wink wink) I am going to say it was due to the sun...... :D

I just love your review of the Paul/G. You are so cute. Yes,you have the " flu" like all of us.

Just seeing all that food, I just can't wait. Going in Nov for two cruises back to back. This will be our 9th and 10 cruise. We love the Paul/ G

Hope to meet both of you, on this special ship someday. Pictures that were taken are so beautiful!

Take care

Zoey4545

Lucy

Day two in Bora Bora and we awoke to another perfect morning in paradise. We had a quick breakfast (I had to forego my usual delicious omelet) as we didn't want to be late for our morning tour.

6c193398-920d-4422-94e5-8fd1c0ef0466.jpg

(breakfast onboard the PG)

We had booked a jet skiing trip with our friends through a private company (they were cheaper than the PG's and the duration was longer). We caught the tender and there was a taxi waiting for us at the dock to transport us to the Intercontinental Le Moana resort where our tour was to leave from. We arrived a little early so we relaxed on the beach and applied copious amounts of sunscreen (the sun here is very strong and you will burn in approx 10 minutes without sunscreen).

1374362_10153409714225179_1124747343_n.jpg?t=1405721112

(the beach at IC le moana)

Eventually our guides arrived (island time ya know), they showed us how to operate the jet ski and we were given strict instructions to stay in a straight line so as not to run into the coral. There was coral EVERYWHERE! I was feeling a little nervous and asked DH if he wanted to 'drive' first. Nope. I was up. By the time we both sitting comfortably on the jet ski and had stowed our camera in the hold, the guides were long gone. So long gone that we couldn't even tell which way they had maneuvered through the coral to get out into the deep water. I decided my best option was to gun it and hope for the best (our speed boat driver the day before had told us that the faster you go the less you 'sink' into the water). We sped over the water and made it through the coral obstacle course and after a few very stressful minutes, we were out on the ocean. I am hoping that the water was deeper than it looked here but the guides were very lax on this tour. If you are new to jet skiing or nervous about it, I would probably suggest another outfit. The guides were by no means traveling at an 'easy' pace and we had to go really fast to keep up with them which was fine in the lagoon but out on the open ocean, the water was choppy and I was convinced we were going to fall off on a couple of occasions (my forearms were actually sore from gripping on so tightly).

Nonetheless, everyone in our group managed to stay on their ski and we ended up spending most of our time in the lagoon where it was easier to keep up. They did stop on a couple of occasions so you could take photos and admire the view (they were also taking photos on their own cameras which you could purchase if you wanted).

1380811_10153409714430179_376413031_n.jpg?t=1405721366

(jet skiing in paradise)

If you are going to go jet skiing anywhere - Bora Bora is the place to do it! There are just so many different shades of blue in the water and some spots are just indescribably beautiful. We rode to a small private motu where we had fresh coconut waiting for us. We spent a bit of time here swimming and relaxing.

1375096_10153409715475179_1114175899_n.jpg?t=1405721460

(our jet ski's lined up at the motu)

It was so hot my camera lens fogged up so excuse the blurry picture above! It was the best I could do ;-)

1392052_10153409716435179_1601894309_n.jpg?t=1405721562

(beautiful Bora Bora)

988730_10153409717410179_1635159779_n.jpg?t=1405721660

(one last swim)

If you are planning on jet skiing during your trip I would absolutely suggest Bora Bora as the place to do it. Not only is the water amazing, but there is a lot to look at as you ski around the island (the resorts, the different angles of Mt Otemanu). I would probably just book the PG's jet ski tour if we were to do it again as our tour operators seemed to just want to ride around the island as fast as they could and I got the impression they were more concerned about having a good time themselves than worrying about their participants. So the jet skiing was great, the guides not so much.

I just love your review of the Paul/G. You are so cute. Yes,you have the " flu" like all of us.

Just seeing all that food, I just can't wait. Going in Nov for two cruises back to back. This will be our 9th and 10 cruise. We love the Paul/ G

Hope to meet both of you, on this special ship someday. Pictures that were taken are so beautiful!

Take care

Zoey4545

Lucy

Thank you Lucy! Lucky you getting to do two cruises back to back - I would LOVE that!

Thank you for your lovely comments and we too hope to meet you onboard the PG one day :)

We were pretty tired from the heat by the time we got back onboard the PG but I just HAD to go and check out the PG's private motu. DH decided he would rather stay onboard so I hopped on the tender and was back on the sand within a matter of minutes. I had noticed on a few different occasions that each time the tender boats run, the locals would furiously kayak behind to catch up and ride the wake for as long as they could. Some of them were pretty impressive. This guy was really going for it!

P1070471_zps47cff31f.jpg?t=1405730456

(go buddy go!)

As it was pretty late in the day, there wern't too many people left on the motu, it was a perfect little spot. I had a very relaxing time sitting under a tree and reading my book.

P1070485_zps844629cc.jpg?t=1405729693

(the PG's little slice of paradise)

P1070503_zpsdb4758f4.jpg?t=1405729813

(a perfect view of Mt Otemanu)

P1070492_zps30449e47.jpg?t=1405729980

(a view of the beach)

P1070491_zps19a1f13c.jpg?t=1405730295

(my little spot under the tree)

I am not going to say 'if' we go back on the PG, I am going to say 'when' we go back on the PG here is what we would choose to do in Bora Bora. Day one we would spend on the PG's private motu, we could quite happily spend a few hours here then head back onboard for lunch (they only have water and beer on the motu) or afternoon tea. It is a perfect spot to view Mt Otemanu from, swim, kayak etc and it's free! Day two we would do a snorkeling tour as we thought the coral garden snorkeling was amazing and would love to do more of it. I heard great things about Patrick's tour as well as Christophe from Reef Discovery.

So yes, we have already pre planned out our next trip haha :D

Another one gets the flu!

Looks like it's a hard, hard falling as well.

Remember you are a privileged member and very, very welcome in the repeaters club.

The BB motu is one of my most favourite places in the world. When I go to the dentist I close my eyes and see it to calm myself.

Great review. Loving it.

I'm seeing everything through your eyes ......... great job on the review .....

Now get bust and give us more, we need our 'fix' today :)

Oh .............. and welcome to the Tahitian flu club

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Yes LovetoTravel, I am really enjoying your trip report. Thank you for sharing, and if am also anxiously awaiting your next installment.

We are preparing for our 1st PG cruise with the repeaters in September. About this Tahitian Flu......when I 1st started reading these boards, I was a bit concerned about this illness that I had not yet heard of....I thought perhaps the Tahitian Flu was something like Dengue Fever or one of this other dreadful tropical ailments and I planned to do some research and/or talk with my doctor. Then I finally put two and two together....LOL

Another one gets the flu!

Looks like it's a hard, hard falling as well.

Remember you are a privileged member and very, very welcome in the repeaters club.

The BB motu is one of my most favourite places in the world. When I go to the dentist I close my eyes and see it to calm myself.

Great review. Loving it.

Yep we're gonners ;)

One Foot Island on Aitutaki used to be my happy place but that has now been replaced by the Blue Lagoon at Fakarava! Actually it's funny because we never repeat holiday destinations (unless we have a good reason to like visiting family, friends etc) but we can't wait to go back on the PG and back to French Polynesia :D

I'm seeing everything through your eyes ......... great job on the review .....

Now get bust and give us more, we need our 'fix' today :)

Oh .............. and welcome to the Tahitian flu club

Thanks Tiki! Slight delay today, I had to go to work haha.

By the time you wake up in the morning you will be able to get a wee fix of paradise :)

Yes LovetoTravel, I am really enjoying your trip report. Thank you for sharing, and if am also anxiously awaiting your next installment.

We are preparing for our 1st PG cruise with the repeaters in September. About this Tahitian Flu......when I 1st started reading these boards, I was a bit concerned about this illness that I had not yet heard of....I thought perhaps the Tahitian Flu was something like Dengue Fever or one of this other dreadful tropical ailments and I planned to do some research and/or talk with my doctor. Then I finally put two and two together....LOL

Thank you!

That is so funny about the Tahitian Flu! It is much safer (albeit more expensive) than it sounds ;)

I know how you feel too as I had a similar thing when all my friends who had moved to London talked about the 'Heathrow Injection'. I thought it was some special injection you had to get before you can live in London. It took me a while to figure out they were referring to how everyone puts on weight when they move there! :eek:

You will have a wonderful cruise! Enjoy!

The entrance into Rangiroa was impressive, we had to sail through the Tiputa Pass; a very narrow straight where the open ocean joins the lagoon. Everyone gathered up on deck to watch the cruise ship squeeze through the tiny gap.

1383219_10153414358660179_1497782326_n.jpg?t=1405927327

(tiputa pass)

We had planned to do a drift snorkel here which involved jumping into the water at the edge of the barrier reef then 'drifting' through the pass with the current. We had our names down on the list until we were told that the area is rather popular with hammerhead sharks and stingrays, not great news to the ears of either DH or myself. Neither of us have any experience with sharks (apart from poor DH being thrown in a shark tank on his stag do) and we are happy to keep it that way so we quickly removed our names and decided to stay onboard the ship. We talked to a few people who did go and the reviews were mixed. One couple said they got seperated from the rest of the group as they were having problems with their snorkel masks (you are supposed to hold hands in a line to stay together) and ended up drifting around in the open ocean by themselves while they waited for the boat to come and get them. Another couple (who are divers) had a great time and said the snorkeling was amazing.

So what did we do? There was a big party up on the pool deck with the band playing and local fresh fruit being served so we sat in the sun and enjoyed the music and food. One of le gauguin's was doing a great job of chopping coconuts and adding liquor of your choice to make a coconut cocktail.

945234_10153414358595179_1132920420_n.jpg?t=1405928448

(deck party)

1186158_10153414358440179_620997037_n.jpg?t=1405928509

(a purple star apple)

1374764_10153414358325179_1414406252_n.jpg?t=1405928815

(les gauguin's and the cocktail of the day)

Our cocktail drinking continued well into the wee hours of the morning and by that stage we had relocated to the "nightclub." I call it a "nightclub" because it is technically a bar with a dancefloor - it was even big enough for all four of us that were dancing haha. We met some very friendly Aussies who proceeded to lead us astray (lol) and we had a great evening.

*When* we go back to Rangiroa I'm not sure what we would do here. We probably wouldn't try the drift snorkel as I'm not the strongest swimmer and after seeing the pass where you drift (in the first picture above) I'm pretty sure my swimming skills wouldn't have been up to par. We were pretty happy staying onboard and enjoying the sunshine so we would probably do that again or if my swimming skills improve, try the 'aquarium snorkel' :)

Edited by lovetotravel68

I love the sail in and out of Rangiroa - as I recall it, there are motus and pearl farms for miles. And dolphins surround the ship jumping and playing as it goes through the Tiputa Pass.

On previous visits, we tendered to shore and then walked to a beach (take a left) where there was pretty decent snorkeling. Beach was small and rocky, next to a resort, but the water was lovely. You can also easily walk to the Pass from there-it is cool to look at it from ground level. DH and I are doing the drift snorkel on our cruise---we've been shut out twice and want to give it a try.

Thanks once more for your detailed review---it is just the tonic this board needed!

I love the sail in and out of Rangiroa - as I recall it, there are motus and pearl farms for miles. And dolphins surround the ship jumping and playing as it goes through the Tiputa Pass.

On previous visits, we tendered to shore and then walked to a beach (take a left) where there was pretty decent snorkeling. Beach was small and rocky, next to a resort, but the water was lovely. You can also easily walk to the Pass from there-it is cool to look at it from ground level. DH and I are doing the drift snorkel on our cruise---we've been shut out twice and want to give it a try.

Thanks once more for your detailed review---it is just the tonic this board needed!

Thank you for the Rangiroa recommendations! The snorkeling from the beach sounds like something we would enjoy!

I hope you get to do your drift snorkel, enjoy your cruise!! :)

Our whole three week trip was absolutely amazing and each day was incredible, but if we had to pick our favourite day and island - this would be it! Our roll call had organised a private tour to visit Le Lagon Bleu; The Blue Lagoon. We were picked up at the dock by Ato (our guide) and taken via boat to our first stop which was a coral garden. The coral here was amazing - green like broccoli and purple like eggplant, so vibrant and healthy, this was the most colourful coral I have ever seen! You can't really tell how vibrant it was from the photo so you will have to take my word for it! We stayed here for about 45 minutes, the water was warm like a bath so it was a comfortable amount of time to be in the water. Because of the abundance of coral, there were plenty of fish swimming around.

P1000373_zpsc5b34840.jpg?t=1405927118

(purple coral and fish)

Before we knew it we were being called back on the boat and we were off to our next stop which was the blue lagoon. Words cannot even describe how amazing this place was and no photo could ever do it justice (although I did try my best). It was absolutely UNBELIEVABLE!! Have a look at the photos below and you'll get some idea of the state of bliss we were in...

P1070672_zpsebe3d70d.jpg?t=1405927461

(the most beautiful place I have ever seen)

1394475_10153414360145179_1519166054_n.jpg?t=1405927631

(amazing turquoise water)

P1070712_zpsa864c514.jpg?t=1405928024

DH in his happy place)

It was without a doubt, the most beautiful place I have ever seen (or probably will see) in my life. A lagoon inside the lagoon. DH and I spent the time here splashing around in the water, rolling on the sand and just generally walking around looking like idiots with giant grins plastered on our faces. The water was the most amazing turquoise colour and the sand, perfectly white. There was a large sandbar in the lagoon (which you can see in the photo with DH above) which not only looked beautiful, but was really nice to sit on and dangle your legs over the 'ledge' as it had quite a steep drop off. It was fun walking along the sandbar with DH swimming along next to me. This place will live on in my memory as being absolutely amazing and big news, the Blue Lagoon has officially overtaken One Foot Island (on Aitutaki) as my happy place.

Our time here went so quickly, we wanted to stay in this perfect paradise forever. I thought about hiding behind a large piece of coral and going Robinson Crusoe on it, but when I found out lunch was our next stop, I was back on the boat :-) Before long we were at a nearby motu where we were welcomed with the view of green palm trees and more beautiful blue water. We had a few hours here to relax first so we spent our time drinking fresh coconut water, snorkeling, swimming and enjoying the beautiful weather.

1391937_10153414362210179_1134312310_n.jpg?t=1405928411

(tastes even better when you're in paradise)

P1000404_zps031f1bf5.jpg?t=1405929234

(little blue fish)

I am so glad that you enjoyed the Blue Lagoon. I too just love this place. Ato says I am better than any travel agent as so many ccers have visited after we were the first ones to visit and I wrote about it on cc and Trip Advisor.He will have his hands full when we go in September with 55 people in our tour.

The actual blue lagoon is the place where you had lunch but the beautiful breathtaking sandy lagoon is special as well.

I am so glad that you enjoyed the Blue Lagoon. I too just love this place. Ato says I am better than any travel agent as so many ccers have visited after we were the first ones to visit and I wrote about it on cc and Trip Advisor.He will have his hands full when we go in September with 55 people in our tour.

The actual blue lagoon is the place where you had lunch but the beautiful breathtaking sandy lagoon is special as well.

Oops! All this time I thought the blue lagoon was the first stop! I obviously wasn't paying any attention to what poor Ato was saying. I blame the incredible surroundings for making me hard of hearing ;)

Wow 55 of you! That will be so much fun!!

:)

Ok so this is the actual blue lagoon!

603132_10153414361945179_350141441_n.jpg?t=1405977217

(DH admiring the view)

1383085_10153414362115179_758274865_n.jpg?t=1406014710

(straight from the source)

I got a little excited in my previous post and got the wrong location oops! So while we were here (yes at the correct blue lagoon) we caught a glimpse of Ato as he was catching our lunch. You really can't get any fresher than that!

2512_10153414449990179_2003024141_n.jpg?t=1406064278

(walking on water)

After snorkeling we gathered around the our guide where he was cooking lunch; freshly caught fish, coconut bread, poisson cru (the national dish) and lots of veges.

1391986_10153414362655179_1248014008_n.jpg?t=1405977991

(our lunch)

It was delicious and there was plenty to go round. DH forced me to try the poisson cru (I wasn't going to as raw fish and I don't usually enjoy each other) but it was so good! We ate with a beautiful view of the lagoon and chatted with our friends from the ship. Could life get any better right now? Once we were finished eating, everyone went off on their seperate ways to take in the solitude of the lagoon. I read in the water with one eye on my book and the other eye on two little reef sharks that were circling around not far away in the distance ;-)

P1070729_zps605131ce.jpg?t=1405979094

(palm trees in paradise)

1382148_10153414359080179_2009263197_n.jpg?t=1405978801

(more lagoon views)

As with all good things, they eventually come to an end, BUT we had one more stop before we made our way back to the cruise ship...

Beautiful pics.

So many happy memories.

We relive past experiences when we read a review like yours!

When we first went to Fakarava Ato didn't even have pepper, salt or spices. Now he has sauces, fish kebabs etc. His son went spear fishing for our lunch with a friend of ours.