Flight ?? TPA vs MCO

Chelle28

Just booked a cruise on the Dream 10/27 and now pricing flights. We're coming from DIA (Denver). There is a considerable difference between flying into MCO vs TPA. ~$400. However the drive from TPA appears to be almost 2 hours.

Details

Flying into Tampa means taking a red eye departing at 11:59pm MT arriving in Tampa at 5:15am ET (next day) Saturday. We'd have to drive 2 hours to somewhere near the Port area. Rest on Saturday, get up and maybe spend time at the pool or Kennedy Space Center. Sunday we're planning to do Universal Studios.

Return. We'd get off the ship Friday AM and have to drive somewhere again towards Tampa (another 2 hours) and fly home early Saturday morning.

$1111 for 4 plane tickets, plus some sort of car rental

Now as a compromise, we could pay more and fly into MCO but then we'd have to compromise on what we can do pre-cruise.

Flying into MCO ranges from $1557 for 4 tickets coming in on Friday, $1471 coming in on Saturday to $1151 coming in on Sunday. The flights from DIA to MCO are evening arrivals...meaning Sunday arrival (most cost effective) would impede our ability to do anything locally (no KSC or US).

I know I need to factor in the cost of the rental car, what we’d do with it while on the cruise and also ticket costs for KSC and US (I get a discount on US tickets). But the lower airfare into TPA would certainly make the pre-cruise activities more doable.

What would you do? Is driving from TPA too much of a pain? My hubby will do the driving but me the worrier is a bit concerned with flying all night and then having a 2 hour drive.

Just booked a cruise on the Dream 10/27 and now pricing flights. We're coming from DIA (Denver). There is a considerable difference between flying into MCO vs TPA. ~$400. However the drive from TPA appears to be almost 2 hours.

Details

Flying into Tampa means taking a red eye departing at 11:59pm MT arriving in Tampa at 5:15am ET (next day) Saturday. We'd have to drive 2 hours to somewhere near the Port area. Rest on Saturday, get up and maybe spend time at the pool or Kennedy Space Center. Sunday we're planning to do Universal Studios.

Return. We'd get off the ship Friday AM and have to drive somewhere again towards Tampa (another 2 hours) and fly home early Saturday morning.

$1111 for 4 plane tickets, plus some sort of car rental

Now as a compromise, we could pay more and fly into MCO but then we'd have to compromise on what we can do pre-cruise.

Flying into MCO ranges from $1557 for 4 tickets coming in on Friday, $1471 coming in on Saturday to $1151 coming in on Sunday. The flights from DIA to MCO are evening arrivals...meaning Sunday arrival (most cost effective) would impede our ability to do anything locally (no KSC or US).

I know I need to factor in the cost of the rental car, what we’d do with it while on the cruise and also ticket costs for KSC and US (I get a discount on US tickets). But the lower airfare into TPA would certainly make the pre-cruise activities more doable.

What would you do? Is driving from TPA too much of a pain? My hubby will do the driving but me the worrier is a bit concerned with flying all night and then having a 2 hour drive.

First of all, why would you drive all the way to the Port area if you are thinking about doing Universal? have you looked at a map?

I'd also point out that driving on a Friday to Tampa from the port will take a lot longer than you think it would. Heavy traffic on I-4 will add an hour to the trip.

I think you need to actually look at a map and see where all these things are in relation to each other before you go any further.

If you decide on TPA, I'd go this route: Fly in, drive to a nicer resort with a great pool in the Universal area (Hard Rock, Lowes, etc.) and spend the day resting and lounging by the pool. Go to US on Sunday. Monday drive to the port. When you return on Friday visit KSC and then drive back to a TPA area hotel.

One other thing, have you ever flown on a red eye? Do not expect to sleep, and do expect to be exhausted the next day.

Edited by ducklite

Ducklite my bad for the confusion.. i generalized much of the travel time/data.

Yes I've looked at a map.

The driving time from Tampa International Airport to Universal Orlando is:

1 hour, 29 minutes

The driving time from Tampa International Airport to Port Canaveral is:

2 hours, 20 minutes

Regarding the comment for traffic... on a Saturday commuting from TPA to US or Port Canaveral at 6am, should I still have traffic congestion concerns?

Based on what I've shared is this flying into TPA a bad idea overall?

I believe you may have posted this same question over on another, Disney related, board. I responded there but just to make sure you see the answer;

TPA is an easy airport to fly in and out of, easier than MCO (which itself isn't that bad) to get around.

The price difference just might get eaten up with car rental costs though. You'll need to do a bit more research on the cost of a rental car for your length of stay plus port parking vs a couple of one-way rentals.

You might also want to check your options for flying into TPA and out of MCO or the other way around. Sometimes its the day you are flying in or out that makes the difference in the cost of the flight.

Ducklite my bad for the confusion.. i generalized much of the travel time/data.

Yes I've looked at a map.

The driving time from Tampa International Airport to Universal Orlando is:

1 hour, 29 minutes

The driving time from Tampa International Airport to Port Canaveral is:

2 hours, 20 minutes

Regarding the comment for traffic... on a Saturday commuting from TPA to US or Port Canaveral at 6am, should I still have traffic congestion concerns?

Based on what I've shared is this flying into TPA a bad idea overall?

It's not a bad idea, but I still don't understand why you would drive to the Port if you are planning on going to US?

Traffic on a Saturday morning is a crap shoot, but expect it to be heavy starting just past Championsgate and until you get to Universal. That drive time is in a perfect world, I would add to it, even on a Saturday.

By the way, you won't start driving until closer to 7:00. You will need to get off the plane (which unless you are in the first few rows could take 10-15 minutes from the time they open the doors--and arrival time is based on wheels down, not arrival at the gate) get through the terminal, get your luggage and your rental car, get everything loaded in, set up your GPS, etc.

I believe you may have posted this same question over on another, Disney related, board. I responded there but just to make sure you see the answer;

Yep, I did and I saw your response (diff screen name tho) LOL! Thanks so much for your help!

Just want to add that I drive that route very often as my office is in TPA and I have a number of customers in the Port area plus US and WDW. Most of the time I am driving during the week, but I do make that trip or parts of it on weekends a couple times a month as well.

It's not a bad idea, but I still don't understand why you would drive to the Port if you are planning on going to US?

Traffic on a Saturday morning is a crap shoot, but expect it to be heavy starting just past Championsgate and until you get to Universal. That drive time is in a perfect world, I would add to it, even on a Saturday.

By the way, you won't start driving until closer to 7:00. You will need to get off the plane (which unless you are in the first few rows could take 10-15 minutes from the time they open the doors--and arrival time is based on wheels down, not arrival at the gate) get through the terminal, get your luggage and your rental car, get everything loaded in, set up your GPS, etc.

Yeah, I haven't gotten down to that level of planning yet... You've made a valid point, no reason to pass US go to the port and drive back to go to US next day. I'll need to look at hotels, costs and proximity to US and KSC... which I'll admit, I haven't done.

Thanks for the tips on traffic and congestion. We'd be in vacation mode and not enroute to work so I don't know that traffic would bother me as much as it would on a Tuesday heading in to the office. Nonetheless all these things are to be considered. Thanks for pointing those things out to me!

For me, the most attractive option would be the one that does not involve taking a red eye. Those wipe me out the next day. I would not let the drive from Tampa be the sole deciding factor. Sure, I-4 can be a crap shoot but in the grand scheme, it is doable. I live in Tampa and have driven over to MCO when I have gotten better flight options (cheaper or direct flights)

Here is my 2.5 cents worth.

Your questions of "What would you do? Is driving from TPA too much of a pain?"

I would fly into Tampa for the side trips. Now the time frame of late October is a good time for low crowds too.

99% of the driving will be highway driving. I do not consider that a pain.

Like anywhere else, there could be some weird incident along the way that will slow you down or force you to take alternate routes, but the time you will be arriving, the roads should not be bad at all and not congested.

Have you considered renting 1 way? there are car rental places near the port that will bring you to the port after you drop off the car.

Now on going to US first or Kennedy first, I would drive to Kennedy area first, do that on Saturday. Find a hotel around Cocoa for Saturday and Sunay. Drive back approx 1.5 hours to do Universal all day Sunday. You will be too wore out to do Universal on Saturday.

OK, we've flown into Tampa. It is easy. Yes, it is about a 2 hour drive from the port rather than 45 minutes from MCO. We did a one way rental and dropped off the vehicle near the cruise terminal. SO, Tampa is not a problem in itself.

Your flight day is a "dud" no matter what...whether you fly in during the day and arrive in the evening or you do the red eye...the day you arrive in Florida is going to be a day to sleep, not to enjoy being on vacation.

As I see it, you are asking whether a $400 savings is worth the trade off of an extra 1+ hours driving each way. That's something only you can answer.

Now, as to KSF/ Universal/where to stay....If I wanted to go to Universal first, I'd stay at a hotel near Universal. I can then change to a hotel near the terminal to do KSF. NO POINT in driving back and forth for those two. Universal is near Orlando...a good 40+ minute drive from the terminal area.

Now' date=' as to KSF/ Universal/where to stay....If I wanted to go to Universal first, I'd stay at a hotel near Universal. I can then change to a hotel near the terminal to do KSF. NO POINT in driving back and forth for those two. Universal is near Orlando...a good 40+ minute drive from the terminal area.[/quote']

I agree. It no sense to drive RIGHT BY Universal -you can see it from I-4, to stay at PC. There are hundreds of hotels in Orlando, much better selection. And you could even do US for a couple hours Saturday night and more on Sunday. Then you drive and get a hotel at PC the night before the cruise.

I wouldn't spend the money to get into US for a couple of hours.

You will be tired and out of sorts on Saturday after a red eye. I would book a hotel with a great pool--the new Cabana Bay has two lazy rivers and a bowling alley and offers early admission into US and might be ideal. Spend the day crashed out by the pool (keep in mind that you might not be able to get into your room at any hotel until check in time around 3:00--so pack swimsuits and the things you'll need immediately in a day bag and plan on checking your luggage with bell services when you arrive) and enjoying the resort. Have an early supper, and get to sleep that night. I would not sleep during the day, as it will keep you on west coast time.

Get up the next morning and take advantage of the early entry feature and get into US before the crowds. Spend the day there, stay in the same hotel again that night, and the next morning, drive to the port (about 75 minutes from US).