Is "Irene" a threat?

gmillay

We will be leaving this Saturday the 13th for Bermuda on the Celebrity Zenith and we've been watching the potential tropical storm "Irene" which is in the vicinity. Just curious what others might be thinking regarding this storm....do you think it will affect Bermuda at all?

I've been following the forecast for this storm for the past week and the projected path seems to change daily. You can monitor the storm at

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

Latest projected path shows it stalling South of Bermuda on Sunday. I am leaving from Philadelphia on the Horizon on the 13th so I wouldn't doubt that it affects our trip in some way. Bring warm clothes in case we head to Canada like the Voyager did a couple of weeks ago.

Bring warm clothes in case we head to Canada like the Voyager did a couple of weeks ago.

We are experiencing our hottest summer ever - our igloos are all melted and we've had to shave the sled dogs.

Senga,LOL, very funny post. It seems people think Canada is Alaska. Even Alaska has some warm weather. I am taking a Bermuda cruise, but won't be disappointed if we go the Canada, I have never been there & would love to visit. Maybe a sweater may be approriate end of September, but I'll leave the parka at home.

I just checked out the weather sites and apparently Irene is 825 miles southeast of Bermuda. One site said it will not be a threat to Bermuda at least through the weekend.

Any of you weather veterans care to weigh in on this? My poor dh is stressing over the fact that we could get some rough waves or have some type of weather from Irene.

We are sailing to Bermuda August 13 through 20.

Please share your thoughts, thanks.

Howdy All,

We're tracking Irene too -- it seems many of us will be on the Zenith or Horizon this coming week ... I'm so excited.

As for the possible side trip to Canada, last year we went to Canada (and LOVED IT) and I was happy we had a sweater for everyone and a wind breaker. We needed it at various times ... probably a lot more than we will need it in Bermuda, assuming Irene cooperates. The warmest day was our last day at sea and it was still too cold for the swimming pool, and we like it cool.

with the way she is strengthening unless a cold front stops her.............

Cleveland finally had rain, first since 6.1 & flooding like crazy since lawns didn't drink in the water, soil is too hard & dryl. 80's today & 90's return tomorrow, so no cold fronts.....

I've been checking Irene and according to all accounts it looks like we are going to competly miss Irene.

Am I missing something?

"When do we find out if we are sailing to Bermuda?"

Someone fill me in, I have been breathing a sigh of relief for the last 24 hours, tell me we don't have anything to worry about!!

Horizon to Bermuda Aug 13--20th

I've been checking Irene and according to all accounts it looks like we are going to competly miss Irene.

Am I missing something?

"When do we find out if we are sailing to Bermuda?"

Someone fill me in, I have been breathing a sigh of relief for the last 24 hours, tell me we don't have anything to worry about!!

Horizon to Bermuda Aug 13--20th

I'm with you!! I think we are totally in the clear, maybe a little bumpy water leaving from NJ until we get away from the coast. I don't know the ship's exact track, but I don't think it hugs the coast, which is where the effects of Irene appear to be headed.

I'm also tracking Irene, as we are scheduled to be Bermuda-bound next week.

Storms can change direction at any time, so we very likely won't find out until boarding. Aside from a possible bumpy ride on the way home should Irene hug the coast, I think we'll all be OK.

I just called Celebrity to ask them if Irene will have any affect on our cruise. She told me that if they were planning to re-route the ship they all would have been sent emails by now.

She then went on to tell me that ships are required to stay a certain distance away from hurricanes. I asked her if she knew what that distance was and she asked me if I can hang on. Well........I hung on for like 6 minutes and she still didn't get back on the phone so I hung up.

I called back and after 5 minutes all the agents were still busy so I had to hang up again. (I'm trying to do 10 things at one time).

Does anyone know what that distance might be?

I told her that people are talking about how Irene could effect our cruise and it now has me worried again.

I won't repeat what she told me about that but she did say that we shouldn't be affected.

I'm not worried at all. The last tropical storm that was near Bermuda (2 weeks ago, maybe?) didn't change their route at all. RCCL went to Canada, but I was told it was because it was only a 5 day cruise. Better take the Ginger and Bonine just in case!:D Horizon- Philly to Bermuda- 2 days :D - still not packed:o

Hurricaine-tropical storm not a major problem except for a bit rougher seas BUT if you check the 10 day Bermuda forecast after monday the showers look relentless...I hope not,but it doesn't look good. You may wish you were in a cooler New England than in a soggy Bermuda.

Thanks for the link, drfun. Looks like I'll be packing an umbrella. :)

Bermuda in the rain is still better than a week at home. I'm sure we can find a lot of indoor activities to keep us busy.

Archived