NCL Gem at NYC Disembarking question

texanitalian

Our ship is scheduled to arrive NYC at 8:00 am on a Saturday and would like to know how much time to allow for disembarking and travel time to LaGuardia airport.

How long will they let you stay on the ship?

We usually carry our own luggage off, but it's been 5 years since our last cruise, is this still allowed?

I am looking at a departing flight of 12:45, so I don't want to spend a lot of time hanging out at the airport. I will also need to schedule a time for the limo service to take us to the airport.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

If you carry off your own luggage I think you should be ok with a 12:45 flight. I don't live to far from La Guardia and the 2 times I disembarked from a NCL ship I was home around 10:30. I would check your travel insurance too and see how much time they require if you miss your flight. If you can get a flight after 1 that might give you a little more wiggle room if there is traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I was almost considering the 10:30 flight! But I would still like to know what time I should plan to disembark in order to set up a car service pickup. They only allow a ten minute wait time and will charge extra if you change your pre-scheduled pick-up time.

Is 9 or 9:30 am ok? What time does disembarking start?

When we were on the Gem last year, we were docked by 7:30 am and they were calling out for the walk off passengers by 08:10 am.

But, there could always be an issue preventing the ship to arrive on time.

I hate ending a vacation stressed out. Especially with NYC traffic and/or airport security lines. I would not recommend a flight that early (10:30 am).

Edited by CTCruisers

Thanks. I was almost considering the 10:30 flight! But I would still like to know what time I should plan to disembark in order to set up a car service pickup. They only allow a ten minute wait time and will charge extra if you change your pre-scheduled pick-up time.

Is 9 or 9:30 am ok? What time does disembarking start?

I have disembarked in Manhattan a couple of times and used the NCL bus transfers to LaGuardia both times. My flights were both between 12:00 and 1:00 pm and had no trouble making them. That said, if you are using a limo service I would plan to disembark on the earliest walk off time available, and then just wait for the limo to arrive. If everything goes as planned you should be off by 8:30 or so, so I would use a 9:00 as a pickup time to give you a little extra time in case of holdups. I would not go with the 10:30 flight as that is pushing it, as it is about an hour transfer, depending on traffic.

Edited by travelnap

Thanks, my flight is now booked for 12:45, so I will plan a pick-up time for 9:15 am.

I just couldn't remember how late you could actually stay on the ship when walking off with your luggage. Since ship arrival time is 8:00 am and not 7:00am like my prior 2 cruises, I wasn't sure when disembarkment actually started.

The last time that I was in NYC on a Saturday there was a lot of traffic that day so I need to take that into consideration also.

Sat. disembarkation suggested that it's the GEM (upcoming or when ??) returning from Canada/New England or Bahamas or ?? - there are external factors as well, keep in mind - whether there are other ships next door on your morning arrival. On weekends, there could be localized street fair, special events & block closings that usually isn't a problem unless it's the annual UN Annual Meeting in mid September - the fastest route to LGA is sometimes the longest one - up the West Side Hwy, across 125th Street & onto the RJK Bridge & then Grand Central Parkway to LGA - taxi fare would be higher as it is metered but car service (we use Carmel) driver usually will do it, just remind/check w. you about being OK with paying the toll.

Ships usually arrive back in port early (8 AM) & begin Express Self-Walkoff often around 7:30 AM and begin calling color-coded numbers by 8:30AM and asked all pax to be out of the cabin by then, wait & relax in public area and OFF the ship by 10 AM. If you do the Self Disembark, you can leave as LATE as you wanted to - lines for the early birds can be mad long; and, NCL cannot "manage" how quickly CBP work the lines inside the terminal.

If it's a Canada/New England cruise, they won't allow anyone OFF the ship until ALL the non-US travelers report to the lounge/theater to be "cleared" first, and that's been known to DELAY as they PA page the yet to report-in pax still somewhere on the ship (over slept ??) - so, the ship might be at the pier at 6:30 AM, walkway ready & ready to let folks OFF at 7:30 but if a few fellow pax decided to not cooperate with CBP, that would hold up everyone - and of course, backup the lines inside the terminal past 9 AM.

I would change the pickup time for the limo (real, not a car service) for 9:30 AM - you still have plenty of time to get to LGA, unless weather is a major problem & should be there no later than 11 AM (more likely, on or before 10:30 or maybe 10:15) to do your airline checkin & clear airport security.

Here's a bonus tip, if the lines are long inside the terminal - use a porter, have them take your luggage (even as Express Self Walkoff) and you along - they have an exclusive FAST line & can often get you outside in under 10 minutes, well WORTH the extra tipping - since you are already "limo"ing it. Happy cruising :D

I was on the Gem last week and we did walk off. We left our cabin at 8:30am and was done with lines / customs by 9:15. We took a taxi to Penn Station and arrived by 9:45am ( we stopped to pick up some NY souvenirs) and had to wait till our 1pm train. I wish I had booked the 12:00 train. Keep in mind it's betters to be early than late and miss your plane. We were able to grab lunch so the time went by quickly. Good luck!

Thanks everyone, especially Mking8288 for the information. We will be onboard the Gem for New England/Canada cruise Oct 11-18. Now I know to allow time for all the "extra" checks that must be done.

We have used Carmel car service in the past and have been pleased with them, but I know that they will not be happy if they have to wait. I hope the pier pickup service is not too hectic and we will be able to locate the driver. What would we do without our cell phones !

My guess on a New England/Canada cruise was spot-on, please check with the Roll Call folks ahead of you returning from their sailings to confirm the latest/this Fall's CBP & clearing procedures for non-US travelers, and whether it would result in additional HOLD or delay due to the lounge reporting requirements once the ship is docked.

Book your Carmel ahead & since you will have 2+ hours before actual disembarkation, walking off the gangway & onto the terminal with luggage, etc. - you have time to call Carmel & adjust/finalize/reconfirm the pickup time on that morning (they will gladly do it) and you can also download their own free APP (iOS & Android smartphone friendly) to check your booking, etc.

On that final morning, you can hangout on the ship, enjoy an extended breakfast, etc. & watch the mad rush of others - even when they announced final call for the Self Walkoff; before, switching to call pax by colors or group # (and not by decks) Crew members and/or security aren't going around the ship "checking" pax to see if they're supposed to be OFF the ship an hour ago, etc. Room stewards are happy when you are out of the room so that they can do the turnaround & clean the cabins - deck 8 above the lobby (Blue Lagoon area) is a good place to hangout too.

The biggest backup in the morning is the huge crowd for express walkoff and once they cleared the gangway - the rest is usually easy, and do the porter trick, and you will be out there on 12th Avenue pretty quick. It's beyond NCL's control as to whether port security in NYC will send everyone across the street for taxi/car service/private pickup OR allow folks to go upstairs and hangout.

On 10/11 - MCT is a mad zoo with 4 ships, yikes - expect traffic jams !! On your return 10/18 - Gem has the terminals exclusively, so easy. http://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

Thanks again for all tips -- I will definitely search the boards for more information about the CBP clearing process.

Fortunately, we will be staying with my daughter who lives in Manhattan before the cruise. What time should we arrive since there are 4 ships in port that day?

On the last day, I am assuming that we could have an extended breakfast and then return to our cabin -- do we then take our luggage with us as we "wander" in the public areas until final call for self-walkers? If all works out, I'm thinking we could walk off around 8:30 - 8:45 am?

My daughter uses Carnel often-- and she thinks there is a charge when pickup time is changed -- so thanks for helping me figure this out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got off the Gem yesterday. Walk-off's started at 8:00 and can't say how long it takes to get off doing the general walk off. We were in a suite, met our concierge at 8:45 and were downstairs and off before 9:00. Another great car service is "Dial 7". We had made a reservation for 10:00 for pick up and if you are early, just call and notify the dispatcher and they will send the car for you at no charge to change. Car arrived within 5-7 minutes after calling. Our flight was at 1:00 from JFK.