need suggestions for a vegetarian on ncl

karen327

I became a vegetarian this year and will be going on my first cruise, on the Jade in Europe this november, since becoming a vegetarian. I know in the past that they usually have one meal on each menu in the main dining room that is vegetarian and usually some vegetarian items on the buffet. Can any fellow vegetarians give me suggestions as to what else I can find to eat? Is it possible to order other foods on the menu in the main dining room such as potatoes and vegetables without the meat? (and I don't want them throwing the meat away that would be on the dish? I am trying to protect the animals one bite at a time). Do they have vegi burgers available at the grill on the pool deck if you ask for it? How about in the speciality restaurants? Can they provide an alternative protein source if you ask for it such as tofu in a stir fry, bean replacement for meat in tacos, cottage cheese with fruit, etc? I don't want to have to survive on salad, pasta dishes and Indian curry for ten days.

The MDR menu will usually have one or two vegetarian options already available. As I recall the buffet also has a few options. I would recommend talking with the dining room Maitre D' when you board the ship for additional information. The dining room staff is as accommodating as they can be with menu items but as with any cruise ship nothing is really "cooked on demand".

If you don't already have it noted on your cruise information you should also indicate there that you are vegetarian.

I'm a vegetarian and there was one vegetarian selection on the menu at the MDRs every night except the last on the Breakaway. I went to Guest Services and they called a couple of chefs to speak with me but they seemed reluctant to do so and the rep was getting very frustrated (with them, not with me). Finally, she said to let them know when I arrived at the restaurant. The chef made me a delicious Indian meal (the best samosa I ever had).

Another night, at either Taste or Savor (can't remember which one), they had a delicious vegetarian meal (I think it was eggplant stacked with fresh tomato sauce) on the menu, but the side dishes on the other entrees sounded so good, I asked for a plate of the items that I wanted to try and the server was happy to accommodate me.

They also have veggie burgers at O'Sheehan's. They're not on the menu but if you ask for it they will make it for you. We got these to go a couple of times late at night when everything else is closed. Someone also mentioned on these boards that veggie burgers are available at the Uptown Café if you ask for it.

The buffet had enough items to keep me happy the rest of the time, although I don't think they give much thought to vegetarians. A lot of the dishes had meat on them when it could have been served on the side, such as the bacon on the baked potatoes.

I sailed on Jade last year and although not a true vegetarian I prefer vegetarian meals or just those without meat or fish , I found the selection very poor indeed and totally repetitive for a 12 day cruise I actually ended up eating a few chicken dishes because I was so fed up with the lack of vegetarian . I have never had this issue on other cruise lines so had not thought it necessary to request vegetarian as a dietry requirement when I booked

There is, or used to be, a gnocchi/pumpkin/mushroom main dish in the MDR that was excellent! Otherwise, I'm afraid I didn't pay much attention. Most NCL ships I've sailed have an Indian food section in the buffet where there are usually vegetarian selections.

There are always two vegetarian items at the MDR - one never changes (and with the new menu it is Lasagna Roll - which isn't bad). The second is on the nightly, changing menu. I actually had a veggie pot pie one night and it was pretty good.

But yes, the selection can get ridiculously boring, especially if you have the privilege of eating lunch in Cagney's, where it hasn't changed in two years. I cannot face the linguini in a portabello mushroom cream sauce ever again.

As noted in another thread, there is a veggie bean burger which makes a sporadic appearance for lunch - catch it if you can.

La Cucina has some half decent possibilities, but of course you have to pay. Their veggie pizza is pretty good and I do like the Tomato/Mozzarella appetizer.

I became a vegetarian this year and will be going on my first cruise, on the Jade in Europe this november, since becoming a vegetarian. I know in the past that they usually have one meal on each menu in the main dining room that is vegetarian and usually some vegetarian items on the buffet. Can any fellow vegetarians give me suggestions as to what else I can find to eat? Is it possible to order other foods on the menu in the main dining room such as potatoes and vegetables without the meat? (and I don't want them throwing the meat away that would be on the dish? I am trying to protect the animals one bite at a time). Do they have vegi burgers available at the grill on the pool deck if you ask for it? How about in the speciality restaurants? Can they provide an alternative protein source if you ask for it such as tofu in a stir fry, bean replacement for meat in tacos, cottage cheese with fruit, etc? I don't want to have to survive on salad, pasta dishes and Indian curry for ten days.

YOU CAN TRY AND CONTACT NCL SEE BELOW

Special Assistance Coordinators Before and During Your Cruise

Learn how Norwegian Cruise Line has a dedicated team of seasoned travel professionals specifically trained to assist you with your specific requirements from reserving your stateroom through your cruise.

Special Assistance Coordinators Before and During Your Cruise

Norwegian Cruise Line has a dedicated team of experienced professionals who are available to assist guests with disabilities and other challenges before, during and even after your cruise.

The Access Desk

Within our Reservations Department, an exclusive team of seasoned professionals operate to help facilitate your travel via our dedicated toll free number for accessible travel (1-866-584-9756 (voice)). Specially trained in Norwegian Cruise Line's policies and procedures, after receiving your Special Accommodation Requirements Information form, they document your reservation with information concerning your service requests to help prepare our cruise staff for your vacation. A member of the Access Desk will speak with you about each and every aspect of your cruise from transportation to and from the vessel to shore excursions, your stateroom and any other expectation or need that you may have.

Onboard

Once you have boarded, you will be met by staff who will have all of the information that you conveyed to Norwegian Cruise Line either directly or through your travel professional. Staff will be available throughout your cruise to see to your needs. Norwegian Cruise Line has Access Officers who will be the primary go to person for all of your needs. Norwegian Cruise Line also has a centralized internal corporate resolution staff to assist the Access Officer, available by telephone 24 hours a day.

Advance Notice Needed

Whatever your special requirements are, Norwegian Cruise Line will do whatever it reasonably can to accommodate you. But we do need adequate time to prepare for your arrival. Please make every effort to contact our Access Desk well in advance of your cruise - at least 90 days for interpreters and 60 days for all other requirements - if possible. As soon as we receive your information, we will begin working with you to create a cruise vacation specifically for you.

The more information that we have concerning any special requirement you may have, the more prepared we are to meet your needs during your cruise. What works well for others may not meet your requirements. You are the best judge to know what works best for you so rather than assume what you need is the norm, you'll have a much more enjoyable cruise experience if you tell us what you need. We will work with you to try to meet all your reasonable needs for your cruise, but due to the nature of travel on a passenger cruise vessel, if advance notice is not given, Norwegian Cruise Line may not be able to provide you with what you need.

In limited situations (either on board or ashore), we may find it necessary to ask you to make alternative travel arrangements, such as if a disabled guest is unable to satisfy certain specified safety and other criteria, even when provided with appropriate auxiliary aids and services. Guests who are unable to care for their basic needs (e.g. dressing, eating, and attending safety drills) MUST have a capable traveling companion. It is essential that we be notified of any special medical, physical, or other requirement you may have as soon as possible, including whether you intend to bring a scooter with you.

Pre-arranging for special assistance helps travel proceed more smoothly. Assistance is arranged for at the time of booking upon identification of your specific service request through our dedicated toll free Access Desk number (1-866-584-9756) or your Travel Agent.

Edited by Orleanscruiser

Just began my 7th year as a vegetarian. I've never gone hungry on a cruise!

In two weeks, I'll go on my first cruise since the MDR menus were apparently changed so I'm hoping to see my old veggie favorites or maybe discover some new ones!

The only [old] MDR veggie meal I wasn't a huge fan of was the veggie calzone. The burrito was also just okay but I really liked the eggplant, risotto, pumpkin gnocchi and mushroom ravioli. I feel like I'm forgetting something else... Oh well.

There's also always the buffet.

I've never informed anyone prior to leaving, or even while onboard that I was vegetarian. I'll probably have to mention something when ordering at Cagney's (family meal, not my choice obviously) because it'll be a lot tougher finding something there to eat!

Having ONE vegetarian entree each dinner is not much of a choice, so yes, on a long cruise this could be a problem. Especially if the chefs an only think of tomato sauce as the main ingredient for their veg dishes. Pasta (with tomato sauce). Eggplant parmigliana (with tomato sauce). Stuffed mushroom (you get it!). On an on every night....

You are not going to be hungry on a cruise ship, but you can be bored without the varieties. So we vegetarians need to be creative. Going to specialty restaurants on select nights, or the buffet, may help.

On the Epic, sushi and miso soup may help. Also La Cucina (ask for pasta aglio olio to avoid the tomato sauce). If you are looking for extra protein, have one or two orders of Mozarella Sticks from O'Sheehan. Room service kid menu will give Grilled Peanut Butter Sandwich. And try to alternate between Manhattan and Tastes, to create a sense of variety. The buffet serves a few Indian dishes, but almost the same items over and over.

Lunch is even more monotonous (grilled veggie burger if you are willing to wait 25 minutes), so don't expect much!

Well, frankly, as vegetarians we have to compromise with this lack of choice onboard Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian cruise lines. Only Crystal has been very good in this area for us. (We have yet to try Holland America, I hear they have good vegetarian menu).

Please discuss with the Maitre'd and your dining room staff. The more they have vegetarian cruisers, the better they are willing to cater to vegetarians.

So lower your expectations and enjoy your cruise (and enjoy your vegetarian meals).