new help deciding - what to do???

bindy1

Trying to decide and actually changing my mind.....

We are already booked on Sunshine in October - early saver rate with $ 100 deposit. Final payment is not due for almost another month. We also purchased FTTF for the sunshine cruise as well.

So I am changing my mind and looking at the Freedom 5 day in October or Conquest 7 day. Both of these cruises I like the itinerary better and of course I would choose 7 days over 5 any day. And Freedom and Conquest both go to HMC! :p Airline flights are all about the same out of both PC, FLL and MIA. I have more than enough Hilton points that will cover our pre-cruise stay at either of the three ports.

Only disadvantage is if we switch I will miss my son's football game on Friday night.

Question - will we lose the $ 100 deposit if we cancel and rebook on another cruise? and is our FTTF $ 49.95 refundable?

Which cruise would you pick? I would love to hear opinions!

I don't want to lose $ 100 but I really am not looking forward to Sunshine cruise. This is a mom and DD girl's cruise for her B-day. We have always cruised western or short Bahamas and we really want to go to ports we have never been to. DD really does not want to go to Key West. We have been there done that too many times planned and unplanned!

How many days in Sunshine cruise?

You will lose the ES $ 100 or 50 bucks per person to cancel. Not sure about fttf.

We will not do less than 7 days. Also depends upon how much you want to go to football game. Kids grow up so fast.

The sunshine cruise is only 5 days. It gets back to PC on Friday so that is why I originally booked. We can be back in time for the game that night.

I am with you on the 7 day cruises. They feel twice as long as a 5 day cruise. I am already adjusting for this cruise moving to an inside cabin. Love my balcony cabins but I can't justify the cost for just DD and I.

When I talked to my son about it he said " Mom, it is one only a football game. You parents make way to big of a deal of the games. And dad is probably going to miss my sister's volleyball games when we are gone duck hunting anyway. So go and don't worry about it."

I'm a mom so I still worry! He has been playing football since he was six. He is now 16 almost 17. This will be his 11th football season and 2nd to the last season God willing. In that time I have missed 2 games and both were because DD had to be at either her soccer game or volleyball. DH has missed lots of games due to his work schedule. I can text/tweet play by play updates as well as any sportscaster LOL!

Yes they grow up way to fast! I can count on one hand how many family vacations we probably have left once they are off to college.

We said the same thing when our daughter graduated high school. Can't tell you how many vacations we have taken together since then , much to our pleasure. Families that play together continue to play together. Keep smiling and happy sails,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know my family is weird but we would not miss any of our sons' games (swim meet, cross country meet, baseball game, soccer game, etc) if possible.

We always figure we can cruise any time. The time we get to watch our children participate in any activity is limited.

I also know that there have been a couple of times one of my boys told me something didn't matter, but when I ended up going to the "unimportant" event, they told me they were really glad I came.

Our kids are adults (youngest a senior in college this fall) and they still LOVE going on family vacations with us!! Just keep offering!!

If it weren't for the game....I would always choose a 7 day over a 5 day. However, we have enjoyed a couple of 5 and 6 day cruises.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise.

Edited by momof4boys

I have considered the idea that my son was just trying to appease me when he said not to worry about missing a game. I do not believe that to be the case based on other conversations we have had about football. I am very fortunate that he is "grounded" and he recognizes school comes first and football is just something fun to do. He finds it ridiculous that all the dad's line the fence to watch high school football practice for example. He just wants to have fun and enjoy the "Friday night lights!"

The flip side to this is this cruise is to have some mom and daughter time. My daughter will be a sophomore this year so our time with her is limited as well. This will be the last year we can do anything during our school's fall break as next year she will be on the varsity volleyball team and will not be allowed to miss any practices/games. My daughter has spent years taking a back seat to football to the point that she absolutely detests the game (but she does like the attention and popularity she gains from big brother playing. lol!)

We did a mom-daughter trip to the beach last year for fall break. We had a blast. It was so nice not to worry about what the "boys" were doing. However it was an expensive trip as it involved lots of "retail therapy" in the evenings after dinner! So a cruise is actually cheaper for just the two of us.

Right now I am really leaning towards the Conquest-7 day. The ports are almost the same with the additional of San Juan and no Nassau stop.

Anyone have any suggestions for a San Juan stop? We thought a Segway tour might be fun? We prefer to just go lounge on a beach at the stops but I don't ever see anyone doing that in SJ.

In San Juan, there is a free trolly you can ride and get on and off as you please. If that doesn't suit you, you could grab a cab to go see the forts and then do a little shopping on the way back. The beach there isn't the best so I'd recommend sight seeing of some kind. If you've ridden the Segways before, you'd probably enjoy it. If not, just know some people can't seem to get the hang of it and everyone goes together on the tour. I felt fairly comfortable after two or three minutes, but I've seen some who never really master it.:(

Carnival does have a beach/resort excursion where they transport you to a local seaside hotel. If you're more "adventurous" just take a taxi to Condado Beach where the better hotels are located, and ask the driver to pick you up at a certain time.