Eating at the Captain's Table

Liss

We will be on the Regatta 1/13/06 through the Panama Canal. How are dining guests selected to join the Captain at his table for dinner? Is it just the luck of the draw or is it reserved for people who have sailed multiple times on the same ship?

We certainly would love to be able to sit with the Captain but figure our chances are slim since this is our first Oceania cruise.

Liss

We have been to the capains table, I believe, five times. Each time we were in a suite. I know that some people at the table on occasion had inside rooms. In the days of social hostesses they made the selection based on her observations.

Hope you get invited.

We were in a PH Suite for the 17 Day South America/Antarctica Insignia Cruise in December, and were invited to a Captain's cocktail reception which we did not go to. I don't remember getting any invitation to sit at a Captain's Table. Nor do I remember ever seeing a Captain's Table in the main dining room. (I must admit never understanding what is so special about eating with the help. LOL!)

Terry and I have been cruising for twenty-five years, and were never invited to the Captain's table until last October, which was our first cruise on Oceania (Insignia, Venice to Athens).

I am convinced that the note I sent to the Captain with a celestial question regarding something I noticed in the night sky the second night of the cruise (during my first crossing of the Adriatic Sea, can you believe it) prompted a hand-written response from the Captain the next day and resulted in his offer to join him for dinner in Polo two nights later. I was very surprised by the prompt, thoughtful note he penned, which was three paragraphs long. He was apparently impressed by the quality of my celestial question which, of course, I was totally clueless.

The morning before receiving the invite, we explored the old city of Dubrovnik. At the end of the excursion, we were directed to complimentary busses to return to the ship which had changed locations because of weather conditions (good job, FDR). While preparing to step up into the bus, the bus driver asked me, in very good English, to tell the Captain "Hello." I said, "Do you know the Captain?" and he replied that they were boyhood chums (sure, sure.) It turns out the the Captain, Jurica Brajcic, was born and raised in Dubrovnic, and was, as I found out later, good buddies with Milo, the bus driver. I told Milo to pose for a photo and I would give both his regards and a copy of the photo to the Captain (assuming of course that I would never have the opportunity to address the Captain, plus doubting the veracity of the claim.)

Imagine my surprise when returning to the cabin to find the invitation to dinner with the Captain. Opportunity knocked, and I was prepared (assuming Milo was telling the truth.)

I immediately took the memory stick to the photo shop and ordered a copy of Milo, the Captain's childhood buddy. I could not believe my good fortune to chance upon such a coincidence (assuming Milo was truthful).

At an opportune moment during dinner, after making sure I had everyone's attention, I handed the photo to Captain Brajcic and expressed Milo's regards. To my immense relief, they were in fact good friends, and the Captain proceeded to regale the table with tales of his childhood in Dubrovnic. My tablemates (mostly T/A's) , reminded me repeatedly the rest of the cruise how I had "one-upped" them at dinner that night. What a delight.

I digressed from your question, but I remember the story so fondly and wished to share it. In any case, I think it was the personal, handwritten communication between the Captain and me which put me on his radar. Even though we were in a PH cabin, I don't think that made much difference.

John

We were in Dubrovnik (aboard the Regatta) in April last year. For a city which had been through a war barely a decade ago, it was very well repaired/rebuilt, and rather wealthy (lots of good cars). Our taxi driver showed us his house with bullet holes, he drove a Mercedes Benz taxi, and spoke good English. (Our theory was the smaller the country and the more it relied on the tourist industry, the better the local English). He showed us the new bridge across the harbour (?) which the allies built for them. It was quite interesting.

Our first trip on Crystal Harmony, 10-92, we were assigned to the Staff Captain's table for the trip from Montreal to NYC.

He was a charming Japanese officer, happy to practice his English (somewhat limited) on us.

Aside from the very good service, we (the entire table) were his guests one night at Prego, an extra fare restaurant.

We have absolutely no clue why we were selected - I suppose much the same as why we never know when the Upgrade Fairy is going to visit.

We were in a PH Suite for the 17 Day South America/Antarctica Insignia Cruise in December, and were invited to a Captain's cocktail reception which we did not go to. I don't remember getting any invitation to sit at a Captain's Table. Nor do I remember ever seeing a Captain's Table in the main dining room. (I must admit never understanding what is so special about eating with the help. LOL!)

I'm glad to see somebody else has seen that episode of "Keeping Up Appearances!" :D The look on Hyacinth's face when she thinks Onslow and Daisy have stowed away aboard the QE2 is priceless!!!

Seriously though, dining at the Captain's Table differs from ship to ship. On some cruises, he's been very visible, hosting a table in the Grand Dining Room or Polo/Toscanna every night, but on other cruises, I've seen the captain dining quietly in the Tapas with one or two of his staff. Similarly, after the Captain's Reception (for Oceania Club members), some captains stay behind and post for photos for anyone who wants one, while others quickly head for the exit to get back to the "real" work at hand. I think much of it depends on the captain's personality.

Digby, eating at the Captain's table is NOT eating with the help, but, eating with the COMMANDER of the ship.

We've done it several times, and, we always felt thrilled to have been invited.

You obviously don't recognize an attempt at humor when you see it!

But I don't see what the big deal is. I don't eat with the pilot who has flown me safely to foreigh destinations. I have always been in a suite when cruising and my next one will be in an OS. Maybe I'll give it a try!

We were aboard the Insignia - Istanbul to Athens and ate at the Captain's Table 3 times. On one ocassion, we asked the Captain to join us, which he graciously did.

We were a group of 10 and it was the only table onboard that could accomodate us.

Anyone find the "buzzer" at the Captain's Table?

Digby

Your sense of humour and common sense appealed to me. That may say something about my sense of humor and level of common sense of course. Anyway we were invited to have dinner with the Captain on our last cruise. A pleasant man, a pleasant meal.

Beatrice

Katie

I never knew there was a buzzer at the Capt's table.. where is it?

Digby,

You will love the OS but do not expect an invite to the buzzer table just for booking it.. lol.. infact , if you meet some folks you like , better to put on your own capt. hat and have your butler serve you at your dining room table in suite.. course by course.. VERY x cellent! Of course I haven't found the buzzer in there either...gotta use the phone kiddo..

if it's great weather dining on the patio...even better.. ( that's no balcony .. that's a back yard!) love it! have a great time.:D

I'm glad to see somebody else has seen that episode of "Keeping Up Appearances!" :D The look on Hyacinth's face when she thinks Onslow and Daisy have stowed away aboard the QE2 is priceless!!!

I thought exactly of that episode when I read Digby's comment. Apparently it went right over the heads of some. LOL!!!

Poor Onslow complaining that he had to eat with the staff. I was hysterical!

I've never dined at the Captains table. I'm sure it would be fun, but if it never happens, I'll have a good time anyway. :)

Jane

I thought exactly of that episode when I read Digby's comment. Apparently it went right over the heads of some. LOL!!!

Poor Onslow complaining that he had to eat with the staff. I was hysterical!

I've never dined at the Captains table. I'm sure it would be fun, but if it never happens, I'll have a good time anyway. :)

Jane

Ditto on Onslow..

and.. re: never dining at Capt's table.. geeze..who do ya gotta know?:) lol

Digby

Your sense of humour and common sense appealed to me. That may say something about my sense of humor and level of common sense of course. Anyway we were invited to have dinner with the Captain on our last cruise. A pleasant man, a pleasant meal.

Beatrice

Thank you! I guess "A" is just humor deprived! LOL!

So, what's the buzzer at the Captains table?

Jane

Can not wait to go and find it can we Jane?

Can see you now, sitting there all proper in your gorgeous designer ensemble, then dropping your nappy and looking under the table , sort of nonchalantly..lol

Guest Jancruz

As you walk into the GDR at the far left in the very back of the dining room is the Captains table..some nights he uses it most nights he does not..

Jan:)

Jan, possibly they use different tables at different times.

We noticed the Captain at the table you mentioned during the first week of our 31 day b-2-b; however, when we were invited to dine with Captain Esposito near the end of our cruises, we were seated at the largest table on the right side of the dining room, about the middle, on the port side of the ship.

Guest Jancruz

Sometimes if someone has requested his table for a large party he will change..but the table for 10-12 at the left rear is considered the Captains table..

Jan:)

Archived