Eating at the Captain's Table

Liss

Can not wait to go and find it can we Jane?

Can see you now, sitting there all proper in your gorgeous designer ensemble, then dropping your nappy and looking under the table , sort of nonchalantly..lol

You have me pegged!!!

Of course, since I'm never invited to the Capt. table for dinner, I hope that those that *are* dining there won't mind me crawling around on the floor between their knee's looking for a buzzer. I'll just tell them I lost a contact lens there. LOL!!!

My sweet DH mentioned going on an Oceania cruise to me just this afternoon. He's going thru withdrawal from all our Oceania pals.

Jane

You have me pegged!!!

Of course, since I'm never invited to the Capt. table for dinner, I hope that those that *are* dining there won't mind me crawling around on the floor between their knee's looking for a buzzer. I'll just tell them I lost a contact lens there. LOL!!!

HA HA HA HA!

My sweet DH mentioned going on an Oceania cruise to me just this afternoon. He's going thru withdrawal from all our Oceania pals.

Jane

Let's get a group together - tell your birthday boy to pick a few ..:) And all on that cruise will have to dine with Captain at the buzzer table or all bets are off!:D

They still have some C space on Stus welcome back Panama Canal Cruise..Join us!!

Jan:)

We'll be in Australia then.

We're thinking later in 2006 - perhaps sometime between June and Sept.

Just got the new Oceania brochure and will have a look in the next few weeks.

BTW, what is "c" space? Window w/ no balcony? If so, then it's not for us....us New Yorkers need that outside space that we don't get at home.

But, we'll cruise together again! :)

Jane

As you walk into the GDR at the far left in the very back of the dining room is the Captains table..some nights he uses it most nights he does not..

Isn't that in the same corner as the piano which was never used during our 17 day cruise disappointing our party.

Guest Jancruz

No Digby..The piano is in the opposite corner.. In the beginning there was dinner music in the dining room..but people who sat close to it couldnt talk or be heard..so they discontinued the miusic..

the buzzer table is equipped with an ejector seat, and the captain uses it to get rid of those guests who lack a sense of humor- There are some people on this board, who don't like pink lettering and who criticizes everyone, that should give this table a try and see how long he lasts. Couldn't resist. Anyway, I have never understood the allure of the captains table (and we are invited every time and decline, btw)........a procedure that is generally rote and an invitation extended as a "have to" rather than a "want to."- leave the boring captain alone, I'm sure he would welcome a night with room service!

I can't agree with you on that. :( There are several very interesting and pleasant people who cruise, and it must be boring to be with fellow officers and dining wherever they dine. I'm sure on every cruise there is the obnoxious, know-it-all pain, however with every "job" there are duties that one doesn't want to do, but it's part of the job description and has to be done. And every officer we've encountered has been charming and happy to host a table. :o

Esther

And every officer we've encountered has been charming and happy to host a table. :o

Esther

Does that mean if you order wine or cocktails while dining with the captain or officers that they sign for it or do you still need to take out your own card?

There's no signing. When invited to the Captain's table, or another table hosted by an officer, pre-selected red and white wines are offered to the guests immediately and throughout the seating.

On two cruise lines, Celebrity and the now defunct Royal Olympia, our invitation included a short 20 minute "cocktail" meeting prior to going to the dining room with the Captain.

Ordering a cocktail at the dinner table would most probably be considered "tacky", but, I doubt you'd be asked for your card. On two occasions, both on the all-inclusive lines, we had post dinner drinks/cognacs!

IMO, those who decline invitations to the Captain's table usually lack the confidence necessary to be amongst the others invited!

the buzzer table is equipped with an ejector seat, and the captain uses it to get rid of those guests who lack a sense of humor- There are some people on this board, who don't like pink lettering and who criticizes everyone, that should give this table a try and see how long he lasts. Couldn't resist. Anyway, I have never understood the allure of the captains table (and we are invited every time and decline, btw)........a procedure that is generally rote and an invitation extended as a "have to" rather than a "want to."- leave the boring captain alone, I'm sure he would welcome a night with room service!

How rude of you to say that about a captain of a ship that you are sailing on. How do you know they're boring if you've never talked to one!!!!

IMO, those who decline invitations to the Captain's table usually lack the confidence necessary to be amongst the others invited!

I'm not sure you should make those kinds of statements. The reason we never sailed again was because we didn't want to sit with a bunch of people we didn't know. Some were wonderful, but others were loud, overbearing and obnoxious. I'm not sure if we would accept or not, but I don't think so. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence. I think a person has more confidence not doing something they really don't want to do. I think many people only go because they don't have enough confidence to say, "No". Other's may feel it's truly an honor and that's okay too. I truly don't think we would want to waste a night at the Captain's table, but that's just our feeling. I do think your statement was a bit rude.

Please expound on your reason to not sail again

Sorry, it wasn't because of an Oceania cruise, but from a cruise on the Grand Princess. We never wanted to go on a large ship, but we were the people who reserved a cruise on Seaborne and were bumped because Oprah bought out the entire ship. We ended up picking the Grand because of the Itinerary and same travel dates. We were lucky enough to only be seated with one other couple, but as I've written here before, they would get mad at us if we didn't show up for dinner. Some nights we were tired from the all day tour and really wanted to stay in our cabin, or other nights we wanted to experience other restaurants on board. They made us feel so guilty by saying things line, "We didn't come on this cruise to eat by ourselves". Yes, I know we should have been grownup and ignored it, but we didn't. During breakfast, which was Open Seating, but at large tables, the conversation was monopolized by a man who told us his life history. The only night we went to the broadway type entertainment, we sat down and some loud Texan (don't get all defensive everyone, we live in Texas) proceeded to tell us how his ex-wife had robbed him blind. All this in front of his new wife. We were so miserable, we decided, "Never Again". So, when we first heard about Oceania and it's upscale clientele, open seating and no formal nights, we thought it sounded perfect for us. We don't, however want to sit with people unless we choose to because of past experiences. My husband and I are both a bit shy and truly enjoy one another's company. We usually find people we enjoy and then spend time with them, but it's all of our choices, we are not forced upon one another. I really believe we would refuse the Captain's table unless we knew some of the other people who were invited as well.

What an outrageous thing to say! On what do you base that statement, Dr. Freud? Believe me, it has NOTHING to do with self confidence in my case - just a complete lack of interest! Last I knew that is still allowed.

Lack of self confidence? Hardly. Perhaps it is more likely that one has a strong sense of self that that they do not need a captain's dinner to prove it. Most of the viewers on this board do have a sense of humor and do "get it" rather than being nasty and pissy. I would like to think that a captains dinner is not the barometer by which a persons personna is judged, nor is the Captain's "role" judged by the company he keeps at his dinners. No more on this, it is tiresome. Muddsmom and Digby, I'm with you !!!!!!!!!

Archived