PVP vs. booking online

pinklily116

PVP will give you the same price but we like it as we have someone with Carnival who knows us and knows we give her regular business so when there is a problem she will go to bat for us.

I have to agree. We've had the same PVP for 7 years and he has been very helpful several times when something came up.

Do you have to pay extra though? And if so, how much?

So basically, its the same as online booking but the added convenience of having someone to go to when you have questions about your cruise. Right?

As I said in last post you pay the same price as booking on line.

Your second paragraph is right on the money.

As I said in last post you pay the same price as booking on line.

Your second paragraph is right on the money.

I had the same question when I booked a few weeks ago when talking to a PVP and he said he would give me "white glove treatment" but didn't explain more. I asked him, and he basically said he would be there to help with questions, if the rate goes down, etc. The rate almost immediately went down and I called him, and although he mentioned having to check with a supervisor, he'd have the rate adjusted and to double-check in ten minutes or so to my account. He did take care of it right away.

I had the same question when I booked a few weeks ago when talking to a PVP and he said he would give me "white glove treatment" but didn't explain more. I asked him, and he basically said he would be there to help with questions, if the rate goes down, etc. The rate almost immediately went down and I called him, and although he mentioned having to check with a supervisor, he'd have the rate adjusted and to double-check in ten minutes or so to my account. He did take care of it right away.

A good one is worth keeping around. Ours is a very good one.

A good one is worth keeping around. Ours is a very good one.

I think that's an important point. Every one I have had has been a waste of space. The only time they have any interest in me is when they're trying to get me to book a cruise. Once I'm booked none of the 3 that I've had gives me the time of day.

In fact, I left a voicemail for mine a couple weeks ago. I ended up going a different route for assistance, which is good, since I still haven't received a call back from the PVP.

some special rates require you use a PVP

I was having a problem with the website and called. After talking to the rep a few minutes it came up that we could use a military rate and get a small upgrade. It is just up a level and midships, but nice to get something. You have to call to get the military rate.

The one I talked to seemed new but he was helpful. I dropped a few hints about wanting a balcony if the price on those goes down and I will try calling again a couple of times before the cruise to see if he can help.

So how/where do we find a good PVP?

We are not allowed to give you a name here.

When we needed one a few years ago (after our old one left suddenly and we didnt care for the one assigned to us) asked a cruising friend for recommendation and used our new pvp for last 10 or so cruises.

She is great and has good ties with her supervisors to get things done quickly.

We used a PVP on our last cruise and it saved us some money. We were going to book all 4 of us in a suite and the PVP let us know that it would be cheaper for us to be in the suite and put the 2 teen kids in an inside across the hall. The girls (14 & 15) loved having their own space. We got a key to their room at the guest relations desk and they had a key to our room so they could use the balcony. I would have never thought of that arrangement if it hadn't been for our PVP.

So how/where do we find a good PVP?

The way I did it was to let Carnival assign us one. He was lousy as were the next three. I kept requesting a change; Carnival did that for me. Finally, we got one who we like and can deal with.

Be aware that the PVP is basically a salesperson for Carnival.

Doc

I like using a PVP because they can see all the cabins that are available. They just show 10 for each category online. We know where we like to be on the ship.

A couple times my PVP has been able to find a better rate or higher OBC offer than I've seen online. When Carnival offered $160 shore excursion OBC per cabin earlier this year, my PVP got us $200 OBC per cabin that could be used for anything.

I agree that a good PVP is very useful but they're not all good.

I looked online first to get a general idea of availability and rates. I then called and booked over the phone. I wanted an interior room and balcony room right across from each other. The agent was able to find the rooms we wanted very quickly and also gave us the VIFP promotion that I did not know about (I would have though if I was paying attention).

I see no downside to book over the phone, aside from the initial holding time. But I also don't consider the agent my PVP. They just happened to be the one who answered the phone. I did not keep their name or extension. If/when I call back, I will just deal with whoever answers the phone.

Edited by Badfinger

I think that's an important point. Every one I have had has been a waste of space. The only time they have any interest in me is when they're trying to get me to book a cruise. Once I'm booked none of the 3 that I've had gives me the time of day.

In fact, I left a voicemail for mine a couple weeks ago. I ended up going a different route for assistance, which is good, since I still haven't received a call back from the PVP.

Our experiences have been much the same unfortunately. Since we have cruised many times, we no longer really need any assistance in choosing cabins etc....we know what we want and like.....so we book on our own. We have not had one good PVP in the 3 that we tried.....more trouble to try and try to get ahold of them after booking.....they only seem to care about landing a booking then they disappear. No value to us at all!

On my last cruise, my PVP found a disabled cabin that didn't show up on the website, and booked it for us at the last minute.

62A3E603-7A66-4F5C-9E63-9AEB6207FF5F_zpsn4khds3g.jpg

It is important to note, that anyone at the 800# can do the same. You don't need a PVP to find rooms not showing up on the website.....as the website only gives a max of 10 cabins in any given catagory.....we always book cabins that don't show up by calling into the 800 # and asking by specific cabin number. They ALL have access to the same cabin availability....no need to use or have a PVP to do that for anyone!

Edited by buddylover

It is important to note, that anyone at the 800# can do the same. You don't need a PVP to find rooms not showing up on the website.....as the website only gives a max of 10 cabins in any given catagory.....we always book cabins that don't show up by calling into the 800 # and asking by specific cabin number. They ALL have access to the same cabin availability....no need to use or have a PVP to do that for anyone!

But a good pvp who values their continuing relationship will go to a supervisor and fight for you. Our just did something like that on Friday.

Dont believe someone on the phone would have fought for us.

That's true, but with my PVP, I can get straight to the point and don't need to hear blah-blah-blah basic cruise information or answer basic questions because he knows a lot about us.

I do my own research and call my PVP when I'm ready to book. I know what I want (ship, sailing date, cabin category, and the prices/promotions I see online.). He also took care of submitting my FCCs for me - I didn't need to do anything except tell him I wanted to use them. We used our last 3 FCCs earlier this year. (I miss the FCCs!)