Interior Cabin for kids on Getaway (inside corridor????)

It's been a long time since I've posted on the boards. I've had a lot going on this year. Anyway, our family of 3 (we used to be three) booked a cruise on the Getaway this year during halloween week. How fun! That was by accident by the way.

We are in a minisuite. We don't know how we'll be able to cope after the visit from the upsell fairy to the Haven 2-bedroom last year on the Epic. We are still trying to figure out what kind of culture shock this is going to be BUT hey at least the bathrooms amenities are all in one place on this ship. :)

Anyhoo, we inherited another family member. My mother had a stroke in January and I've taken in my 15 year old brother - he was a late surprise for her (my son will be 12 this sailing). He's been added to our reservation but now my husband and I were seriously thinking about booking an inside cabin for the kids. I note (and I've never noted this before) that the inside cabins now have their own interior corridor instead of their door being directly across the hall from the mini-suite cabins. Is that correct? Meaning even if their cabin was technically right across from ours, we couldn't access it because we'd just see the back of the cabin (the side that has no door) and we'd have to walk around to the front to access their room. Is that right?

We thought about keeping our current reservation exactly how it is but booking this second cabin in my name only with the intention of having the children (15 and 12 years old) sleep/shower there. Are we allowed to do this?

Yes, I'm apprehensive about the children being in their room alone and the dangers of that are not lost on me. That part I am still weighing.

I've heard however that many couples book an inside across from them for the kids. At any rate, am I allowed to book the inside cabin and have the kids stay there. Would this pose a problem. My brother 15 is very responsible so I'm not worried that he'd do anything stupid. He has a good head on his shoulders. But, logistically...is this possible to just put the inside room in my name?

If anyone has done this before...how did you feel about the interior cabins having a door which face away from your cabin even if it is right across the hall.

Obviously, I don't want to tell you which cabin we are thinking of putting the kids in (this is the internet after all) but I do want to print screen what I'm talking about.

So the question is two fold.

1. Do you foresee this configuration being a problem. Is the distance too far apart?

2. Will NCL let me do this?

These are not my cabin assignments. This is just an example of what I'm talking about.

10516800_10152475607413046_6141531708466141879_n.jpg

DH suggested baby monitors (LOL) if we do this. So we always know what's going on in the room. I think he was being sarcastic but hey, that sounded like not a bad idea.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

So sorry about your mother and hope all is working out well with your family.

IMO I just would not feel quite comfortable with the two boys sharing a room unless it was adjoining and door could be left ajar.

That said you know your boys best and only you can make the decision.

Hope you have a great cruise:)

I am fairly sure that you need 2 ppl on reservation on the inside cabin ... if you book in 1 person's name you will still be charged for 2 ppl.

So I would suggest that you call NCL and explain that you need 1 kid and 1 adult in each of the rooms ... I am fairly positive they would accommodate by moving 1 person to the inside cabin from your existing suite reservation.

We have had relatives with kids in the same age range have different rooms ... they set curfews and randomly check on them. On first and only violation one parent would be in their room and their charging privileged gets canceled. I don't think my aunt and uncle ever had a problem.

Edited by rics321

I am fairly sure that you need 2 ppl on reservation on the inside cabin ... if you book in 1 person's name you will still be charged for 2 ppl.

So I would suggest that you call NCL and explain that you need 1 kid and 1 adult in each of the rooms ... I am fairly positive they would accommodate by moving 1 person to the inside cabin from your existing suite reservation.

We have had relatives with kids in the same age range have different rooms ... they set curfews and randomly check on them. On first and only violation one parent would be in their room and their charging privileged gets canceled. I don't think my aunt and uncle ever had a problem.

I thought that as well but 1 person v. 2 people is a price difference of about $500.00 for exact same cabin. Before they created the new site, that was always the case (the price would come out the same whether 1 or two).

Price 1

10492456_10152475775058046_8564345596056488447_n.jpg?oh=cbbe98d82e5ea093eb4193c88eaab206&oe=5434071F&__gda__=1413068154_620cad6e8bc371616eaa20bd8713ff13

Price 2

10501929_10152475775053046_2719727665795370431_n.jpg

I'd like to know why there is a difference just for knowledge's sake.

But, my main concern has more to do with whether this is practical to do with children this age. The pricing stuff isn't that big of a deal and you did answer that question. Thanks for your input.

I'm not understanding here.

You have 4 people now, right? You, your husband, and two boys 15 and 12.

So book yourself and the 15-year-old in the first room, and your husband and the 12-year-old in the other room. That should save you any kind of upcharge. I'm not understanding why you are booking just yourself in the second room.

Then, when on board, just swap (without officially changing it with NCL), to where you sleep with your husband and the two boys sleep in the second room.

First off, NCL will NOT care about this. They never care. The "one adult in a room" thing is only enforced at booking for legal reasons that NCL otherwise doesn't care about.

Second, 15 and 12 are PLENTY old enough to be in their own cabin, especially right across from you.

On my last cruise, I did the exact same thing with a 10 and 3 year old (though I did have a baby monitor on the room).

Cruises are VERY SAFE -- much safer than hotels, amusement parks, or anywhere else you can think of. It's a captive group, and the only crimes tend to be theft or the occasional spouse-on-spouse violence. Besides, two boys of that age can take care of themselves quite well if they're just in the other room sleeping or for short periods of time.

Edited by pokerpro5

Also, on a side note, I think it is healthy to give the 15-year-old a dose of responsibility like this.

Too many parents these days try to do everything for their kids all the way through high school, and then the kids are clueless when they enter college or the real world.

Not trying to criticize you here (in fact it seems like you are leaning toward doing this, so you probably think like me on this one), but don't let the judgmental "You're being a bad parent by leaving your kids alone" crowd deter you from doing this.

When I was in college, the kids who got themselves in the most trouble (and flunked out) were the ones who were smothered by their parents and were pretty much rebelling once they got away.

I'm not understanding here.

You have 4 people now, right? You, your husband, and two boys 15 and 12.

So book yourself and the 15-year-old in the first room, and your husband and the 12-year-old in the other room. That should save you any kind of upcharge. I'm not understanding why you are booking just yourself in the second room.

Then, when on board, just swap (without officially changing it with NCL), to where you sleep with your husband and the two boys sleep in the second room.

First off, NCL will NOT care about this. They never care. The "one adult in a room" thing is only enforced at booking for legal reasons that NCL otherwise doesn't care about.

Second, 15 and 12 are PLENTY old enough to be in their own cabin, especially right across from you.

On my last cruise, I did the exact same thing with a 10 and 3 year old (though I did have a baby monitor on the room).

Cruises are VERY SAFE -- much safer than hotels, amusement parks, or anywhere else you can think of. It's a captive group, and the only crimes tend to be theft or the occasional spouse-on-spouse violence. Besides, two boys of that age can take care of themselves quite well if they're just in the other room sleeping or for short periods of time.

Thanks for your input. I was booking just myself in the room...initially...because it was/is cheaper. See print screens above.

Your response makes sense though!

To answer the pricing question, sometimes they only charge 150% of the per person rate for a solo passenger, or another amount from 100-200% of the pp rate. That's likely why you see a different rate for just one person vs two. If you have a special so that you have a no cost third person in your existing cabin, you might want to leave it as is and then put yourself in the interior alone, and then switch once there. I doubt they would care, but I haven't tried this and YMMV.

As an aside, I also would have no hesitation leaving a 15-yr (or even younger) in a cabin. After all, at that age they're almost able to drive...

Sent from my iPad

Thanks for your input. I was booking just myself in the room...initially...because it was/is cheaper. See print screens above.

Your response makes sense though!

Wait, are you telling me that 3 in the first room and 1 in the second room is cheaper than 2 and 2?

If so, that's unusual, but great job figuring that out!

But you might want to double check just in case.

Wait, are you telling me that 3 in the first room and 1 in the second room is cheaper than 2 and 2?

NCL has been offering kids free as 3rd/4th passenger in a cabin on a number of cruises. I don't know the age cutoff, but the 12yo may qualify. If so, then it will likely be less expensive to book the interior with just one person.

Sent from my iPad

NCL has been offering kids free as 3rd/4th passenger in a cabin on a number of cruises. I don't know the age cutoff, but the 12yo may qualify. If so, then it will likely be less expensive to book the interior with just one person.

Sent from my iPad

There isn't an age cutoff. But maybe that's what the OP did, and if so that would make sense.

Getting the same thing for cheaper is always a victory for the consumer.

Yep, that's what I'm saying. lol I know! It shocked me too. I did it like 4 times and then DH did it once.

This is our cabin with just two!

10300284_10152475829773046_2258035613543042660_n.jpg

If I do 4 and pay for me again in the second room the cost is...

2547.20 (what we already paid for four in a room) + 1224.42 (what I'd pay for one in an inside room) = 3771.62

If I do 2 and 2 it's....

1669.84 (what I'd pay for 2 in an inside room) + 2409.84 (what I'd pay for two in our room we already booked) = 4079.68

Okay, so it's only a 308.00 savings. :p

Sent from my iPad

There is no age cutoff anymore. It's kids of all ages 12 or 30 or 60 or 90. :) But, your right. When KSF goes away, the difference probably will as well.

There is no age cutoff anymore. It's kids of all ages 12 or 30 or 60 or 90. :) But, your right. When KSF goes away, the difference probably will as well.

Awesome timing. An extra $300 is an extra $300! Agree with PokerPro ... 15 is old enough.

Hey I see from your other thread that you are a vacation bargain shopper like me, so I think you will appreciate the information below.

First off, you can't book yourself in 2 rooms. It's not a like a hotel. You need to remove yourself from room #1 if you want to book yourself in room #2.

However, I see you are still paying $1200 for an inside cabin, which is too much, even for one person. Here is what I suggest:

1) Keep all four people booked in that first room

2) Do NOT book the second room until it gets much closer to the cruise. Start looking around 50 days prior to the cruise.

3) When there is a MAJOR price drop, cancel yourself out of room #1, and book room #2. There is no penalty for canceling yourself out, provided it's more than 14 days prior to cruising!

Here is more detail on this trick:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2059377

I did this for my second room for my upcoming early August cruise, and it worked like a charm.

The only downside is that you may not get the second cabin as close to the first, but you can keep monitoring available cabins as time passes, and there will likely be one fairly close by when the price drops. I got one two doors down.

It's not right across. It's 15 cabins away, around a corner, and in a separate hallway.

Point 1: I stated these are not our real cabin assignments. I was showing an example of the situation.

Point 2: There is an entry way to the inside corridor from the outside corridor right next to 11639. It might be hard for you to see because of the yellow border. However, you can see it clearly on the deck plan.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/dragit2.php?ship=Norwegian%20Getaway

Point 1: I stated these are not our real cabin assignments. I was showing an example of the situation.

Point 2: There is an entry way to the inside corridor from the outside corridor right next to 11639. It might be hard for you to see because of the yellow border. However, you can see it clearly on the deck plan.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/dragit2.php?ship=Norwegian%20Getaway

I see it now. Looking at the tiny picture on my phone, the yellow outlines that were drawn hid that corridor.

Point 1: I couldn't give a fat rat's a** about real or fake cabin assignments.

Point 2: This issue has come up here repeatedly, and I was trying to be helpful.

Point 3: It's not nice to point.

I see it now. Looking at the tiny picture on my phone, the yellow outlines that were drawn hid that corridor.

Point 1: I couldn't give a fat rat's a** about real or fake cabin assignments.

Point 2: This issue has come up here repeatedly, and I was trying to be helpful.

Point 3: It's not nice to point.

Rats! I put that because I thought it sounded less hostile than "First of all..."

I wasn't trying to be catty or make you defensive. I was actually trying to do the opposite. But, I see that didn't work based on your expletive and response. :o

To answer your original question, yes, I would certainly book a 15 and 12 year old, particularly if they are generally responsible, into a cabin separate from mine, even with the interior corridor.

I have a 16, 10, and 9 year olds in a separate cabin from mine last year. Granted, it was just across the hall, but I still had to leave my cabin to get there. I don't see that much difference between that an going a few doors down a corridor and around a corner.

Have a fun trip!