Holiday decorating

Are the ships decorated for Christmas? If so, do you know when they do so?

We've seen them start decorating the day after Thanksgiving.

Edited by clarea

Five years ago, we were on the Adventure during the week before U.S. Thanksgiving week. They were putting up the Christmas decorations at the end of the week. It gave us a chuckle.

Of course, this was over a month later than the malls do it!

I believe it is, shortly after Thanksgiving for the typical decorations - The Christmas tree in the Royal Promenade or Atrium. However We were on the Jewel this past December and disembarked on/about December 23rd. The day we disembarked we went up to Windjammer for Breakfast and they had an elaborate Santa display, obviously set up for the group that was boarding on December 23rd. I understand we weren't on "The Christmas Sailing" but we would would have enjoyed that type of display as well...and come on! We were on the ship for 11 days from mid towards the end of December!

For the last several years we've always sailed in December, though we were never "on" a ship come December 25th, and we've seen a WIDE variation in how much or little each ship does for Christmas.

On one Ship, they had a brunette Activity director from the UK who planned LOTS of Christmas activities. Christmas knowledge trivia, Christmas visual trivia, Christmas movies playing on the televisions. I believe that was the same ship in which there was Christmas Caroling in the Promenade (complete with a professional printed Royal Caribbean Christmas Carol book), and a Christmas Parade in the Royal Promenade with a story line about the Grinch stealing something (presents?) and Santa coming in to save the day on his sleigh.

Then on Legend - from December 13-21...nothing Christmas related at all...then BAM December 21-22 they tried to pack the entire Christmas season in two days - Christmas show in the theater, Christmas Music piped in throughout the ship, Christmas caroling in the atrium, a Christmas movie on TV.

We've also been on Ships where the only way you can tell it's Christmas is the giant Christmas tree in the Promenade/Atrium.

We were told that it's up the cruise director how much (or little) they do for Christmas. I wish I remembered which cruise director was responsible for the sailing with the Christmas parade/trivia/caroling, etc. As Christmas fanatics, we so enjoyed all that. And we've been disappointed by the lack of Christmas Spirit of every ship since. So much so that I told my mother I wasn't interested in December sailings anymore. :(

Edited by DivingPrincessE
Spelling :O

We were on the Nav for a Dec 30th - Jan 5th cruise a couple years ago - the decorations were all up but getting a bit tired. I would have enjoyed some Christmas music to go with the décor - there was nothing but the decorations, albeit it was a New Year's sailing but we totally missed Christmas at home as we were flying that day - not a huge sacrifice for a winter cruise :D We were not into Christmas that year so we totally enjoyed ourselves on the ship and it was really great to have a 'different' holiday.

We have been on many times in mid Dec. different ships and they have been decorated very nicely....XMas singing and snow falling....one year we were on the Navigator and the did a big parade... I was lucky enough to dress up like an elf for the parade...it was so much fun!!!! This year we will be on the Vision for the week of XMas....Dec. 20-27..... I can not wait!!!!!

Yes, the ships are beautifully decorated. I think the decorations go up after Thanksgiving.

As you can see by my sig below, we regularly cruise during Christmas and have another Christmas cruise this year.

Check out my wife's pictures at the links below. The Christmas cruises are in green font. You'll see the Christmas decorations in the "around the ship" slide shows. She makes slide shows for her website from the pictures she takes on our cruises.

Happy cruising! It's a great way to travel!

Edited by JimAOk1945