Island Princess Alaska 7/11-16: Very Nice Cruise Bookended by Awful Embark/Disembark

Cahroozer

;)

Last year when we left the ship in Vancouver, took ship's transportation to Seattle. Never had to claim our luggage as it was loaded on the bus before we even boarded(special tags for this).

Bus was sealed so when we got to U.S. border, didn't have to exit bus or offload luggage. Straight to airport in Seattle, luggage taken off bus (thank goodness it was actually there). It was so easy. No huge lines with people or luggage in Vancouver.

However, the best and easiest disembarkations are in Seattle and San Francisco.:D

San diego sue, we had the same experience with Princess last year and took the bus both ways, Seattle airport to Vancouver and back again. It worked well for us, especially that particular border crossing.

In fact we're doing it again with HAL in September, as we saw last time HAL and Princess used the same bus service.

I agree, Colocruiser that the ship's shuttle to the local airport is hardly worth it...just did that on Carnival from Tampa, also Princess in L.A., but sometimes if you're in an unfamiliar port or airport sometimes you want to avoid last minute unknowns.;)

I have no idea why anybody would take a shuttle from Canada Place cruise ship terminal to the Vancouver airport when the Canada Line commuter train goes directly to the airport.

The Waterfront Station is about a 5 minute walk from the terminal, maybe 10 minutes if you walk slow. The cost is $2.75 each in off-peak hours, $4 in rush hour. You get on the train right there (make sure you get on the YVR train) and get off at the last stop wich is right at the airport, easy walking distance to the counters.

Couldn't possibly be more convenient.

I have no idea why anybody would take a shuttle from Canada Place cruise ship terminal to the Vancouver airport when the Canada Line commuter train goes directly to the airport.

The Waterfront Station is about a 5 minute walk from the terminal, maybe 10 minutes if you walk slow. The cost is $2.75 each in off-peak hours, $4 in rush hour. You get on the train right there (make sure you get on the YVR train) and get off at the last stop wich is right at the airport, easy walking distance to the counters.

Couldn't possibly be more convenient.

How do you pay for the train? Canadian $ or credit card? Do they accept US $? Are there ticket machines at the Waterfront Station (and what do they accept - credit card or cash) or is there a conductor on the train to take payment? Thanks for your info.

There is no conductor/ticket seller on the train. There are machines at all the stations that take cash for sure in Canadian Dollars.

Sorry I am not sure about US cash or credit cards.

I'm quite sure the machines won't take US cash.

One reason why some folks might not want to take the train - you have to manage all your own luggage to the train, on the train and then from the train station into the airport.

For me - a taxi works best.